1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets "heavily engaged" with Chris Bosh

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 6, 2014.

?

Do you like the Rockets offering a full max deal to Chris Bosh?

1. YES

778 vote(s)
    71.0%
  2. NO

318 vote(s)
    29.0%
  1. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

Yes.....

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Not really if its sending a message to Houston to get something done that they are wanting to get done that isn't being reported on. Maybe Bosh's camp is saying they now won't sign if Parsons isn't kept and Morey says they might let him walk.(could be alot of things we could speculate on).

Its all a negotiation until they sign on the dotted line, and agents/players use the media to negotiate ALL THE TIME.

3. JazzLakerHater

Can't forget about Ramona Shelburne. I hate offending women, but that woman looks like a human toad.

4. Jack0153

Jack0153 Member

So Bosh, you first say that you would rather leave and get a max contract than staying in Miami and getting a payout. Then when we give you a Max offer, you want to hang on Lebron's legs and say you want to stay if lebron stays. For god sakes I'm tired of waiting, make a decision and get on with it. Now he's telling us the info given to us is false about him? Then go ahead and tell them you want to stay mofo so we can start signing other players or re-sign Parsons. This years free agency has pissed me off the most.

We're tired of waiting. SO TIRED OF IT.

5. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Why do people assume Bosh will leave Miami if Lebron does? At that point, the Heat might turn around and offer him more that what they were willing to when Lebron was staying. Couldn't it be the opposite, if Lebron stays then Bosh goes to Houston because Miami tries to short change him.

6. tnopham

tnopham Member

^^^Completely agree with this. We were already all in when we got Dwight. We just had an opportunity to get even better this offseason. Whether it still happens or not I think we're in good shape assuming we keep Parsons.

7. Fantasma Negro

Please go back to Miami

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

I am waiting for some team to offer Eric Bledsoe the max now. Things are craaaazy in this NBA offseason.

9. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

What happened the other two years?

10. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

The best player on the planet carried them

11. sleepyazn

sleepyazn Member

Big 3's only work in the wide open East every single year. In the West you got alot more competition.

12. The Veeg

The Veeg Contributing Member

Is this accurate reportings?

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....ntract/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Rockets can’t keep Dwight Howard, James Harden and Chandler Parsons and give Chris Bosh max contract
    Dan Feldman Jul 9, 2014, 10:32 PM EDT
    Leave a comment
    Miami Heat v Houston Rockets
    Miami Heat v Houston Rockets
    Chris Bosh wants he and LeBron James to re-sign with the Heat.

But considering LeBron left his meeting with Pat Riley today without committing to Miami, there’s no guarantee Bosh will have that option. So, the Rockets are trying to poach the power forward, reportedly offering him a max contract.

One problem: Houston can’t easily clear max cap space for Bosh.

As soon as Chandler Parsons officially signs his offer sheet with the Mavericks, the Rockets will have 72 hours to act. If they match Dallas’ offer, Parsons’ cap hold ($2,875,130) will immediately be replaced on the books by his 2014-15 salary, which is at or near the max ($14,746,000).

Obviously, Houston wants to delay that as long as possible. Signing Bosh first with cap space first and then exceeding the cap to re-sign Parsons – something possible only as long as his cap hold remains on the books – is the Rockets’ ideal plan.

However, even if the roster is stripped to just Dwight Howard, James Harden and Parsons’ cap hold, Houston still couldn’t offer Bosh a max contract.

The Rockets could come close, offering $83,088,781 over four years. Bosh’s max with Houston is $88,151,588 over four years.

Maybe Bosh doesn’t care about that $5,062,807 difference. If so, more power to him.

However, he was reportedly dismayed by Miami lowballing him. I’m not sure he’s running to Houston on a discount.

And for the Rockets to offer even that much, they’d have to dump several players – including starters Patrick Beverley and Terrence Jones. Bosh would replace Jones at power forward, making that departure less of a big deal.

But Jeremy Lin is already ready set to be moved, and if Beverley is gone too, who plays point guard? Without either, Houston is much less appealing.

Bosh could sacrifice more salary – $6,804,570 total over four years – to give the Rockets room to keep Beverley, but again, that makes their offer less appealing.

If the Rockets let Parsons walk, Houston could could max out Bosh while keeping Beverley (and one of Omri Casspi, Isaiah Canaan, Robert Covington or Josh Powell or Troy Daniels’ qualifying offer). Once more, the Rockets without a key player – Parsons in this case – are much less appealing.

Does Bosh understand all this?

Maybe.

One of two conflicting reports say Bosh is sold on Houston as his backup option if LeBron leaves the Heat.

Chris Broussard and Brian Windhorst of ESPN?

David Aldridge of NBA.com:

The Rockets – and therefore Bosh – will soon be on a 72-hour clock to make this work. But as long as Houston wants to keep its two stars, Howard and Harden, and Parsons, a max offer to Bosh is not possible.

If the Rockets let Parsons walk, they could find max cap room for Bosh, but then the timetable wouldn’t matter. There would be no Parsons-related deadline.

Unless Bosh is willing to take less than the max – a possibility – it’s shaking up to be Bosh or Parsons for the Rockets. Or if they gamble wrong and let Parsons walk and LeBron re-signs with the Heat, neither.

It’s just hard to see Houston, again if Bosh truly wants the max, getting both.

13. mrm32

mrm32 Member

It's a cap hold against us as soon as we match. We need to sign Bosh first in the next 3 days then match.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Of all my years following the NBA this is by far the most bizarre free agency I've ever witnessed.

I mean the Raptors (barely a playoff team and with a good GM) just spent 23+ mil a year on two non-all-star PG's. Gordon Hayward got paid the max for crying out loud. what is going on???

I get that the salary cap is increasing, but its like it is jumping up to 90 million next year or anything. Just baffling.

15. The Veeg

The Veeg Contributing Member

Based on this report above, if we match Parsons, we cannot sign Bosh for the max even if we renounced the entire team with the exception of Harden and Howard. I've tried to figure out the math but not sure if this is correct.

16. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Lol this is BS

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Hayward's contract was a Nolan Ryan fastball right at Morey, high and inside. I certainly didn't expect the guy to get a max contract offer. Crazy!

18. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

I've been saying Masai is not all that good of a GM since he moved to Toronto, and I'm still standing by that. Toronto is an average team, and now they're basically stuck there.

19. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

I'll wait for Bimathug to verify. Who knows what might happen tomorrow.

20. M.G.

M.G. Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>LeBron James will not meet with any other teams before making his decision - <a href="http://t.co/ctlzznR5mb">http://t.co/ctlzznR5mb</a></p>&mdash; Sam Amick (@sam_amick) <a href="https://twitter.com/sam_amick/statuses/487066263290523648">July 10, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>