1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets have eyes on Rondo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Rudy_T's_CSF

Rudy_T's_CSF Member

Cocaine is a helluva drug

2. Remii

Remii Member

I don't know but we do know the offenses Rondo has quarterbacked works in the playoffs.

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

It was actually a rhetorical question.

4. Possum

Possum Member

I don't either.. It's mind boggling. He is a bigger better beverly that can create easy buckets for everyone else on the floor. And he would instantly become the leader that this teams has been severally lacking. The BB IQ on this board is scary bad.

5. Possum

Possum Member

So what are you saying? We need to throw some coke in the deal? Whatever it takes!!!

6. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

I think it's possible, first, trade Lin and a sweetener (draft pick?) for Rondo, sign Bosh, then resign Parsons (it would have to be in that order to get it done properly).

7. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Have you ever considered that some people don't like him on our team because of the following reasons:

- He is a poor, poor, poor (I cannot stress this enough) shooter. His career average is 0.252 and not once has he shot above 0.3. His FT is at 0.621 which is borderline r****ded for a guard.

- As mentioned earlier, he is a poor FT shooter as well. This give opposing teams another target in addition to Dwight to intentionally foul and take us out of rhythm late in the game.

- Unless Dwight Howard suddenly agrees to run the PnR a ton more, how do you think a PG who needs spacing due to a complete lack of outside game will fare in H-Town?

- As much as Rondo could serve as a potential no-nonsense, fiery leader, he could also turn into a powder keg when working with Howard and Harden.

There are legitimate reasons for not wanting Rondo on the Rockets. I would not consider PG that much of a position in need. PF and backup C on the other hand is a different story.

8. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I think we'll be hard capped before we can get that super 5 together. Lin has to be moved for cap space to sign Bosh to the max we're offering.

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I disagree with a few assesments of rondo pertaining to the rockets. He's a pretty good mid range shooter and has gotten better over the years. His ability to get to the rim and in the paint at will gives him space on his mid range. The biggest fallacy on this board is about space. Space can be created via penetration and through range. Both work ,neither are foolproof.

To me, rondo solves more questions than any player not named LeBron James. Why? Permter penetration and situational basketball killed the rockets. I'm not just talking playoffs,I'm talking all season with the blowing of big leads. The rockets,through immaturity and lack of floor leadership had problems recognizing and learning from situations. You don't take the same shot when the team is up by 15 in the 1st qt as you don late in the 4th when the opposing team is closing the score. A guy like rondo with his leadership,persnality,and experience will keep the team in better situations. He is the kind of guys who commands more respect from others more so than any player on the rosters. No more harden asking for the ball and killing clock or parsons starting fastbreaks. Rondo would be the ring leader to the circus.

Now, if you told me I could get lebron, that's another story. I'm a bosh guy and I think in miami he sacraficed a lot because of wade running backstairs to spoes. Even with bosh,they would have the same issues. A high to guy with the ball trying to make decisions. As long as harden is gonna be the primary ball handler late in games and during runs, I doubt the rockets can win anything.

1 person likes this.
  10. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

very linteresting...

11. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

So your saying the PG position is not a position of need compared to a PF and backup center correct?

12. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Very well said.

13. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

I don't know how I feel about this.

14. delishman

delishman Member

I wouldn't feel anything, yet.

15. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Good azz post

16. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

All you are saying is about Rondo having the ball. When Howard has it in the block, double teams will be frequent. When Harden has the ball, there is less space in the paint.

With Rondo spacing is an issue when he is playing off the ball. The team needs guys who create space without the ball. Now if Dwight Howard had an outside game, then Rondo would be perfect but Howard doesn't.

The basis that the team can't win with Harden being Harden is just rediculous. The only issue with Harden that truley hurts the team and holds the team back is his defensive fundamentals and not caring enough about his defense to stay focus for 48 minutes.

Then you talk about Rondo's leadership...the guy butted heads with Rivers at times, ran Allen off to the Heat.

17. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I can't tell you how wrong you are in your entire post,but I will do it in segments. You said spacing is an issue with rondo. That's as big a wrong as anyone ever spews out. In 01 and 03, parker couldn't hit anything past 8ft. Was spacing a issue for the spurs? No. Know why? Spacing comes from motion,dribble penetration,and range shooting. Rondo is one of the absolute best finishers in the paint. He also is one of the best decision makers in the paint. Unlike Lin, he won't get in the paint,panic,pick up his dribble,pivot,and throw the ball away.

Harden,I like him a lot,but he hurts himself and the team as much as steve francis did with his ball handling. Its not an accident once a better decision maker (mcgrady) started making decisions vs francis,the wins went up. Your primary ball handlers, (harden and francis) can't be high turnover guys. He handles the ball so much because he's the best option. We saw the critical lin to's that cost the rockets the playoff game. Rondo kills all that noise. Now harden can do what he's pretty good at, score and penetrate off the ball.

In terms of Rondo running allen out of town, it was actually Garnett and his cussing that bothered allen more than rondo. Ainge tried to trade allen because his contract and age weren't matching his production. Rondo isn't the 1st guy who was hard to deal with at times. Mchale and Ainge played with the late great dennis johnson. How do you think the celtics got a mvp caliber pg in the prime of his creer for peanuts? In fact, dj was thebest player on a team that went to 2 finals and winning one. When he was traded to boston, some saw it as a steal,others saw it as getting rid of a headache. Boston won that trade 10 times over. I won't even get into doc rivers, as a coach,he's had 2 seperate 19 losing streaks with 2 different franchises. He's the kind of coach who wants a all aau stacked squad. Good coach,but I don't see the big deal.

1 person likes this.
  18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Wow you impress me with your lack of knowledge of the game. Rondo gets double teamed at the point. That in itself creates space, but if teams are not doubling him, he will go to the FT line and create from that spot. Both Harden and Dwight can play with a guy that owns the FT line. It's just not a spot the Rockets use right now.

When he doesn't have the ball, he plays angles. You are talking about a player with one of the highest basketball IQs on the planet. If you don't like the guy, you should be talking about off the court distractions.

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

This something vaguely overlooked.

I remember clear as day after watching Hardens second game as a Rocket (45 points against hawks) that there was no way in hell he could keep up that style of play. Where he's just handed the ball and is asked to create everything out of nothing. You can't have one player single create and score everything every night, it will exhaust him physically and mentally. That's exactly what the rockets do, Harden doesn't run our offense, Harden IS our offense. Picking up Howard did give us a little variety on offense, as you saw in the playoffs, dump the ball to Howard in the post, but still that's not much of a offense either, it's just iso fter iso, drive and kick, post and kick.

Rondo fixes damn near everything, if forces Harden into the role of a off ball scorer, where he can be much more efficient actually having plays drawn for him, he won't have to rely on drawing fouls anymore and most importantly - won't have to exert nearly as much energy on offense! Which means much better defense, less injuries and a longer career. That's exactly what we want! Lets not forget how Rondo helps our other star, Howard. Howard isn't much of a post scorer, he rely's on his athleticism to beat his man, so in order for him to score he needs to get the ball quickly when there's a miss match or whole in the defense. This year we saw every game plenty of times where Howard was open or demanding the ball with a opportunity for him to score. Only for the defense to regroup or double him by the time we could get him the damn ball, leading him into a turnover or contested shot. That's if we could even get him the ball at all, many times we just passed him up or even turned over the ball. Rondo fixes this, he can get Howard the ball where he needs it when he needs it, no hesitation, no missed opportunity. Rondo's passing ability will just flat out enhance Howard on offense, more pick and rolls, more lobs, more passes in the paint.

How Rondo helps the team as a whole, as you mentioned, he controls the tempo and the shots we take, I don't even need to stress why this is important. He will enhance us even more with scoring on fast breaks, with his quickness and passing ability. He allows us to run more cuts and alley oops with his passing ability, he will always find the open guy. He will really helps us cut down on turnovers, a MAJOR problem we had last year. Also, who else hated seeing Harden iso dribble at the top of the key for 21 seconds just to see Harden dish it to Parsons or Lin who were forced to take contested 3 at the end of the shot clock? No more of that BS, with Rondo taking the ball out of Hardens hand, which means our wings 3 point % will go.

That's just how Rondo helps us offensively, not to mention one of the best perimeter defenders in the league. I'm not going to even go into it, just know Rondo is noticeable upgrade overall Beverley defensively.

2 people like this.
  20. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

High scoring players are high turnover players, lebron, durant & westbrook, kobe, curry, etc, all high turnover players, not sure what sport you've been watching.

You must not like San Antonio very much, the best shot available is the best shot available until you get really late in the clock and management becomes an issue. The key is to get the players the experience to not go into their shell, and doing the exact opposite of what you're suggesting is part of what makes them so good. Even watching our own team, they start doing dumb **** when they get up, do the Spurs? nope, they play the same way, then start going into our shells when teams are catching up, do the Spurs? nope, they play the same way.