1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bigg and Bags, check it out

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by xiki, Jun 5, 2003.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Steve Rushkin has a nice article in this week's SI about Beeeg and Bags. Check it out (no link available -- maybe someone can scan it?).

2. acejeff5

acejeff5 Member

bagwell sucks now :(

3. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Dude, you're an idiot.

4. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Well, his numbers are rather ordinary for a first baseman.

5. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

That I can accept. But to say "bagwell sucks now " without anything to substantiate it makes him an idiot.

6. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Yeah, he may suck, but he will be the starting 1B in the all-star game.

7. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

That's so weird. He's doing the worst he has in several seasons, so what happens? He most likely starts the all-star game. Guess that what happens though when McGwire retires.

Just looked up Helton's stats, and though I haven't heard much about him this year, it looks like he's doing well. .325 with 12 dingers and 54 rbi's. Baggie's at .287 with 11 and 25. Weird.

8. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Well, your posts are rather ordinary for a senior member.

9. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

part of the reason he is starting is that he had a great start to this season. and then he hit a wall. I hope the old Bagwell will come back soon.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Whoa. Bags gives all he has, and he will give more positively on the field. He'll never suck as long as he leaves it all on the field.

Rushkin's article was talking up the enduring 'relationship' bewtween Biggio and Bagwell -- and Houston.

11. gr8-1

Oh, I better go cry into my pillow. Bags is struggling right now. I think he'll snap out of it though. As for the flame, oh well.

12. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

Bags has been a GREAT baseball player for more than a decade, so he's no kid anymore. He's in decline -- but how can he not be?

It's a little unrealistic to expect Bags to defy the march of time and play as if it's 1994 again. So why compare his production to a player who no longer exists? Appreciate him for what he is -- an almost-certain Hall of Famer on the downside of his career, and still one of the league's best first basemen.

If, however, you insist the Astros must have a first baseman be the best at something, remember that Bags is definitely the best 35-year-old first baseman out there. :D

13. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

So you would prefer an over the hill slugger in decline with injury problems from St. Louis? :confused:

14. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Nope. You know as well as I do though that if he was still in the game, people would vote for him regardless of his stats.

The point I was trying to make was that it's odd that Bagwell's not his normal self, and all of a sudden he's going to the All-Star game again, when he's had other seasons where he's done much better and hasn't made it. Especially when Helton's hitting better than he is and has double Bagwell's rbi's.

15. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Pissing Contest!!!!

16. gr8-1

Not at all. I welcome you and Roc paint to this forum and I apologize if I offended either of you. Sometimes I am too passionate.