1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As Carmelo Anthony leans toward leaving New York, Chicago and Houston emerge as frontrunners

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by t0mdotcom, Jun 14, 2014.

1. DwightHoward13

*I will be taking my talents to Stewart Beach.

2. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I think a goes wherever the money goes as long as it's a good team.

3. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

So no insiders have any idea whats going on? Is it happening?

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

There isn't one insider, including Woj, who thinks the Rockets are one of the frontrunners. I wouldn't count on Melo happening, but I'd love to be wrong.

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Snubbed again.

Maybe this was a blessing in disguise, Melo truly doesn't fit in our lineup as good as Love or Bosh would.

6. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Some of you guys have thought about Carmelo Anthony a lot more than I have. I would not presume to know what makes him tick, much less his family situation and relationships with different players and coaches. All of those things are in consideration and it's not like going to any team is a sure thing. Surely the 2012 Lakers taught us that. It's his life.

7. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

I would be second guessing Woj from now on, Which sucks.

Its been what, at 48+ hours since any national member has mentioned Houston?

8. newAge_Rockets

I'm sure this has already been said, but if the only sources are Ramona Shelbourne and Broussard then this report is BS. IMHO, Ramona is the biggest joke on ESPN. Every player apparently will want to play in LA or never leave LA according to her. She was a proven liar last year in the Dwight saga, and anything she writes shouldn't be accepted as credible.

If I was a betting man, Anthony will resign with the Knicks. I do believe we are solidly in the race with NY though. I don't think Morey would put all of free agency on hold if he didn't think we had a chance *cue Jim Carey pic*

9. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

^ Woj confirmed it and wrote about it. Shelburne and Broussard are basically mouthpieces, but they are very well connected. You don't have to believe their information, but it sometimes has merit.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

I think from all indications, he was our "first option" only due to the fact that he's the only option that declared his intentions to shop his services. And one that doesn't require us to gut the team and our future the way a Kevin Love trade would. So yeah, he was more a FA of convenience than anything else. Not nearly on the level of importance as Dwight last year.

I still wouldn't say it's a blessing though. I'm of the opinion that he would make us at least at the Thunder/Spurs tier.

11. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

It was confirmed by Woj. If anything it just shows us how quickly things can change... though Amick and Woj are no longer listening Houston as an option no one has reported that the Rockets are officially out of consideration. Who is to say tomorrow's big twist isn't that the Rockets are on the verge of signing Melo?

12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I think something that is being missed in all this hub-bub is that Melo isn't leaning one way or another. IF he is actually leaning one way or another, no one knows this but Melo and his family. This information is being leaked for a purpose. He knows what he is doing. He knew what he was doing after he took those last meetings and maybe before.

13. Houston09

Houston09 Member

I don't understand the whole money issue. With taxes in new york melo would only be making 7 million more then houston offer.

14. DuhWhiteHoward

Wheres Slim Thug when you need him? :/

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Eh, true, Bosh or Love are better fits if we can somehow land one of them, but both of those scenarios are unlikely, IMO. I thought we had a decent shot at Melo and losing out on a Top 15 player is never a good thing for me. Time to start hoping for Bosh or Love, though, I guess.

16. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Is that assuming we're making a max offer?

17. DuhWhiteHoward

the LA thing has to be a smokescreen, doesn't he want to win???

18. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

Is there a reason that Carmelo do not want to sign with Houston? :confused:

If he do not want Houston, then he would not have arranged the meeting with the Rockets. And he did indeed said about winning being his priority in the meeting, so why LA, CHI, and NY? It just does not make sense to me. Did I miss something?

19. finsraider

finsraider Member

I keep coming back to the fact that Melo was willing to strip the Knick roster bare in the Denver trade in order to get his max deal.

Now I'm not begrudging the man for getting the most he can. But how much has he really changed since that deal? If he wants to win now, it won't be in NY, and certainly not LA.

20. SS0101

SS0101 Member

Exactly....they leak things on purpose. For whatever reason...