1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As Carmelo Anthony leans toward leaving New York, Chicago and Houston emerge as frontrunners

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by t0mdotcom, Jun 14, 2014.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

Let's be real here. Melo has always been about his celebrity. It's why he forced a trade to NY and why he married some 3rd rate reality host. I thought there was a slight chance he may come to Houston because he realized that maybe being a celebrity while sucking on a basketball court may not be so great after all. But clearly Melo is still about being in the spotlight. In which case, we have no chance.

This is clearly just Melo being what he always has been.

2. DwightHoward13

I would not be surprised if there is one final twist in the Carmelo free agency saga tomorrow before he makes his decision. If he changes his mind and decides that he cares more about winning than money, he would be choosing between Houston and Chicago. Otherwise, we move on.

3. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

He can win in NY, let him stay.

He can wait for 2015 to let the Knicks retool.

4. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Let's just see where he decides to play before you tear the guy's whole life apart. This is a really harsh post.

5. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

You and I will never know what it's like to be the biggest athlete in new York, but I would still bet its pretty f**king great. I'm sure the T&A was more important than her celebrity status when it came to the marriage. I also think it sucks he didn't pick us, I think we would have been unreal with him, but you're just coming off as the biggest hater.

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

I'm not hating on the guy. It's his life and he can do whatever he wants. I've always been for players doing whatever the hell they want, given that the CBA is so unfavorable to them.

I was just responding to people who are surprised that he doesn't seem to want to win at all cost. Because it's not surprising at all. What would be surprising is if he actually does want to pay the price to increase his chance to win.

7. King Drew

King Drew Member

Tomorrow you'll see the real C.Anthony

1 person likes this.
  8. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Houston fans are considered pretty welcoming to opposing fans unless you're a Dallas anything fan

9. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

We're counting on you king drew! You saying there's still hope?

10. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Yes Melo said he wants to win. Melo also said his wife and child's involvement are important in making this decision.

He's one of my least favorite players but I don't begrudge him for it. I'm not going to go ape sh** holding him to that one thing he said in that one interview. It happens too often, these aren't prepared and measured speeches. Off the cuff and in the moment I'm sure he felt winning was all that mattered without considering every life decision outside basketball.

And now that he might not come to Houston people are reacting like a jilted girlfriend (or boyfriend) after a break up. 'You don't want me, well I never wanted you anyways!'

11. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

I agree, except family could play a part in staying with New York. If he goes to Hollywood, then it appears we doge a bullet because his priority isn't about winning.

Mainstream media are doing what they did last year. Oh, look at how much more LA can pay, while ignoring tax benifits that reduce the different in money, texas vs. cali.

12. mbe1996

mbe1996 Member

Can you elaborate... What does this mean..

13. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I feel like Melo is stringing Houston along because we truly are the ace card he has sitting in his back pocket. We are clearly the best option from a talent standpoint and the most legit title contenders of the teams he is pursuing. Now the media and family pressure are pushing him in other directions, but I feel we have a slim chance and the glamour vs. titles is a decision weighing heavily on his mind. I won't count us out until the last possible second.

14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Hope you're right bro. It's been tough being patient. Really wanted Lowry. Bosh doesn't want to be here. Who knows what Bron is thinking. I don't trust that we can work a trade with Minny for Love (not in our control ). That leaves Melo. Hope we won him over.

Of course I'm probably the only guy on this board that would max out Bledsoe just to pry him away from the Suns, but after him, not much available.

Putting my eggs in the Melo basket. Hope he realizes that Kobe and Gasol are declining while Houston is rising.

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

Btw, if Melo actually says Houston, would that literally be the biggest surprise of all time? Because IIRC even with LeBron/Bosh/Wade there was at least some buzz about Miami, right?

While I know the national media is wrong a lot, I don't believe they can be this wrong, right? As in not even mentioning the team of a star FA's eventual destination. The media is always good at covering its bases by mentioning multiple teams in every report "just in case." That they're not even willing to add Houston at the end of an article implies Melo can't possibly choose us, right?

16. mbe1996

mbe1996 Member

Kingdrew??? Is there hope?

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

so he takes the money in NY rather than trying to win.

rockets move on to bosh... except bosh has to wait for lebron who's waiting for riley... while the rockets wait, the good role players will be signed to other teams. no safety net.

18. tzou88

tzou88 Member

The "fake" C.Anthony said he only cares about winning, so tomorrow C.Anthony will show his real colors.

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I don't even think Bosh wants to be here.

20. DuhWhiteHoward

Melo: "I will be taking my talents to H-town"

1 person likes this.