1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Nick Johnson Full Highlights vs Pistons (SL) (7.5.14)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by batkins, Jul 5, 2014.

1. rocketsmetalspd

Either way Lin is on his way out of H-Town. Good luck to Lin on his next team: Sixers or Bucks.

2. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Tuned into the game just to watch this guy.

One concern I have is his continual pressure from half court getting in his man's face - his man got him on his hip a few times and managed to get by him.

I'm sure he'll figure out when to specifically press that high on when to lay off a little bit - so I'm not worried about it at all.

Really, really liking this pick from Morey.

3. cdain3

cdain3 Member

Eric Gordon, Dwyane Wade, Bradley Beal, Monta Ellis, O.J. Mayo,Courtney Lee, Dion Waiters, Avery Bradley?

4. Roxfan78

Roxfan78 Member

I like it. Looks like he was running the point. Don't get it twisted, with Harden on the floor he's a big 1 not an undersized 2.

5. cdain3

cdain3 Member

Didn't mean to bold that part but most of these guys are between 6'2 and 6'4.

6. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Very impressed with Johnson. He is easily the most athletic guard/wing on our team. That dunk was the best dunk any rocket had all season. Loving his defensive intensity and shot making ability. If he can devlope into a point guard I could see him being a better version of George Hill.

7. Ericonomist

Ericonomist Member

How about Chris Crawford?

8. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I didn't see him in college, because don't watch much college ball. But, I'm going to keep my enthusiasm in check until I can see him play a few more games. I've seen a lot of players have good summer league games, and then amount to nothing. It is encouraging though. I'm actually pretty high on all our young guards.

9. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Tough as nails on defense but needs to make the 3-ball consistently to get on a NBA roster.

10. Exiled

Exiled Member

He got PB intensity & Harden ability to draw fouls, Troy quick release &Parson good looks , D12 musclier body but he will spend most of his time on the bench just like Lin:cool:

11. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

That dunk was nasty, damn.

12. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

This kid almost looks ready to take over the Lin spot. If he is capable of playing a reggie jackson role. He has something to prove and I like it alot. He will get his playing time for sure.

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Some of them are over 6'4 ... Thought you are bolstering my point a bit.

Those undersized SG are all still taller than Nick ... And many/most of them seemed to be better pure scorers coming out of college/high school.

That said, clearly it's possible he becomes a legit NBA role player. Avery Bradley might be the best case study.

Point being don't get overly excited yet. There's ton of successful summer league stories that don't translate. And at his selection it's obvious there is a "hole" in his game and it's obvious it will be whether he can find a way to hang despite his size disadvantages as more of a SG than a PG.

14. RocketSuperman

This is a guy that helps us against the the bigger, more active PG's. He will play and play a lot next year.

15. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Monta Ellis 2.0 a very good thing

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

And so the legend of Nick Johnson starts ... :grin:

17. basketballholic

That jumper is fixable. And will be somewhat easily fixable as long as Nick is willing to put in the time. Doesn't require starting over like MKG and Terrence _ones. They're a whole different category of baaaaaaaad. Nick has a nice base. He squares nicely. And he's got nice lift and release point. Needs to tuck in the elbow, yes. But very fixable.

18. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Talking about a guy's height gets a bit silly and takes a back seat when the guy can out-jump most everyone in the history of the NBA.

http://azstarnet.com/sports/blogs/p...cle_95d1a244-231d-11e3-95d3-0019bb2963f4.html

47 inch running vert, 38 inch standing. Now were talking about a kid that can get more air than Steve Francis. More than Jordan Lebron Kobe. More than Rose. Rose is exactly the same height, 6'-1.5" without shoes. But Rose at his healthiest has an elite studly vert of 40", and Nick Johnson can jump over half a foot higher.

Nick Johnson for President.

1 person likes this.
  19. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Jordan had a 48" standing vertical... its tied for best in history

20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

his athleticism is a huge advantage.

however, he's not just an athletic freak. he knows how to play ball. he's well coached from a great program.

you can tell from this game that he really knows how to play the 2. moves VERY well off the ball and around screens. has some moves to create for himself. obviously can attack off the dribble and finish in the paint. just needs to become a better passer and shooter.

TLDR: dude's a rotation player for sure.