1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As Carmelo Anthony leans toward leaving New York, Chicago and Houston emerge as frontrunners

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by t0mdotcom, Jun 14, 2014.

1. ThaShark316_28

Amen. They'll be on smallish FAs and/or next tier FAs by now. Something that doesn't involve waiting. I think they'd have an idea by NOW.

2. ThaShark316_28

Not sure why I quoted twice people, but....

3. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

The calm before the storm. He'll sign here.

4. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

Or if Phil is trying to up a S&T offer from Houston

5. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

The lack of real news and silence on Melo and Lebron's part means that fanbases can talk themselves in and out of panic about what happens next with their team. I feel pessimistic now about Melo signing here, whereas yesterday I felt more confident. None of these feelings are based on any relevant information, it's just the feeling I get from reading the boards and twitter. Group-think is pretty damn powerful. I am sure in three hours I will be convinced by another argument that Melo's coming.

6. houtown

houtown Member

I think Melo should go to the knicks rather than sign in houston and wonder why he didnt sign in nyc for the max and under Phil while in houston.

7. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

There's a ton of talk from NYC, a ton of movement from CHI, but absolute silence from Houston. Don't know if it means anything, but they have to feel partially confident about their chances.

Also, I expect Morey has multiple moves to acquire that 3rd guy ready to go. He understands he won't have cap room next year and this is his last opportunity. My only worry is that we miss on Melo and Bosh, and overpay for Love/Rondo/Whoever. But missing on Melo can't be the worst thing in the world.

8. dlite316

dlite316 Member

Guys just need to calm down and relax. Melo has NOT made a decision yet. Not everything Woj said is true even though he is well respected.
    Patience is a virtue. We will know in a few days( I know it feels like years).

9. alin86

alin86 Member

Woj:
    For Anthony, 30, there could be enough doubt about the possibilities in Chicago, Houston and Los Angeles to make leaving Madison Square Garden and a guaranteed $30 million more too risky of a proposition.

Anthony needed to hear that enthusiasm out of the Knicks' top management – and of course needed that max contract extension made available to him.

So $_$ is always truth, reliable, byebye melo

10. Pak14life

Pak14life Member

Ok not sure where to put this but Codman posted a youtube link to Jay Z-Lost One as a cryptic message.

Found this link where Jay-Z http://www.sohh.com/2011/10/jay-z_decodes_lost_one_verse_just_when_y.html says "The last verse is the most powerful example of the paradox of the song's chorus, that even the greatest loss holds the possibility of redemption.

Not entirely sure what that means but I think its relevant to Melo

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You really can't overpay for Kevin Love.

12. SS0101

SS0101 Member

13. Manos

Manos Member

I would love for Durant to end up here, but he seems to me to be the kind of player that sticks with his team like Duncan or Dirk.

Yeah I saw a Forbes article someone posted a couple of days ago that took into account the state and local taxes and after all of that is taken into account he makes as much if not more here. Here's an excerpt:

So, if it's about money, apparently he should sign in Houston too. The only caveat would be if he REALLY wants that 5th year rather than getting out early and trying to sign one more multi-year contract before his career is over. I think Rockets could fix that fear by offering a player option in the 3rd season allowing him to exit and sign another 4 year contract to finish up his career.

^ this. If Chicago was still in the game they wouldn't be using there cap space to bring over Mirotic, they'd be patiently and confidently waiting for CA to announce the he's joining the Bulls, IMO. I think Chicago is out, they know it and have moved on to their plan B. I read that Dallas is out and went a head and reached a deal with Dirk. LA doesn't have a team. Just broken Nash, broken Kobe, a rook, some bench fodder and that's it. Can't see him going there. I think it will boil down to us and NY. A chance for a ring or money. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

The Rockets or any other team can give Melo an extension 1 year into his contract for that "5th year guarantee" he's getting in NY. No, it's not 100% guaranteed. But it's not like the NBA hasn't seen handshake deals before.

If you tack on an extra year from Houston's offer, then it basically becomes the same as the Knicks offer in terms of money. Because the higher starting salary and higher raises is offset by the extra 11% state income tax Melo will have to file if he plays in NY vs. Houston, according to Forbes.

If Melo returns to NY, it's either because he wants to be considered the highest paid player in the NBA, which he will be after Kobe's extension runs out, or because he truly wants to stay.

The money angle is overplayed.

15. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Yeah, he'll be paying $14.19 million over 5 years to NY State if he accepts that deal compared to $0 over 4 years if he accepts ours. Not quite the difference of one full year, but pretty dang close!

16. Pak14life

Pak14life Member

Was Codman talking about Love then? http://www.reddit.com/r/rockets/comments/29uric/well_its_happening/

17. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Pretty much like most of us thought Melo is staying in NY

18. Karolik

Karolik Member

f*** u melo, just make a decision already so everyone can move on with their lives. You already know where you're going.

19. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

Im just happy Houston is finally been mention woth the top stars.. We could be the Bucks or Kings... We got spoiled and our fan fare with mediocre stars like Lin have ruin the rockets reputation..not too long ago e was a 42-40 team no way up or down..just stuck in the middle... Like that MJ song...

20. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Lmao money talks BS walks...