1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why are the terrific free agents still saying "no" to the a Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 4, 2014.

1. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Harden isn't a superstar. Lol.

He's gonna make a lot of you guys eat crow.. Especially Carl.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Because the trend is no longer popular. There's no guarantee you're going to win it all because of health and the cap.

LA had Kobe,Pau, Bynum, Metta, then Dwight and nash and only has 2 rings and the lottery to show for it.

Miami has gone .500 in the finals and i think many really see it as 1 out of 3 and that's in a weak conference.

Clippers are running in circles since CP came over and they kept signing everyone.

Brooklyn bombed terribly.

Boston only got one ring.

Pacers crumbled in the playoffs.

I know any amount of rings sounds good when it's been a while, but these results aren't really anything spectacular for teams loaded with talent. There haven't been any real dynasties. Players are slowly starting to return to the old model of having one or two all-stars with players who complement them. They realize just collecting top level talent isn't going to get it done.

#22 RV6, Jul 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  3. conquistador#11

laugh at me if you want, but these players wearing plastic glasses with no lens and skinny ties, i bet it's because of our UNIFORMS! please change them or i will go complain to the "HR" department! no means no.

4. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

Staying where they are at gets them a longer guaranteed contract for more money, hard to walk away from it.

I think we would better luck trading for a player, The way we got Harden. Howard did not like the crap Kobey in Laker media put out.

Wonder if C Anthony realizes how much crap from the media he is going to get when they don't reach the finals for the next few years, Just getting to the playoffs not going to help.

Of course just getting knocked hout in the first round did not help the Rockets.

5. rocketblood713

Because they all think Dwight ain't about that championship life

6. atwood

atwood Member

At least they made to the second round of playoff consistently.

How many time Rockets made to the second round in the past 20 years? only once if I am correct:grin:

7. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

There just aren't that many stars. How many teams do you see stacked with stars? How many will get LeBron? One. How many will get Melo? One. How many stars are going to the champion Spurs this summer? It just doesn't happen as often as you think.

8. dlite316

dlite316 Member

Patience bro, patience. Still too early to spread out the pessimism.
    In Morey we trust.

9. ryebread

ryebread Member

Free agents might be afraid that they'll become Bosh'd, i.e. relegated to 3rd option status and overall game questioned by most. Houston is a big city but a small media market - can't support 3 superstars on the same team.

10. ryebread

ryebread Member

Melo won't get crap. People in NY were ready to forget about this season completely. It was a nice reminder how good Melo is. Maybe that was his intent all along. Had one of his best seasons last year and was snubbed from the all-nba teams. Maybe he was trying to make a point by "testing" out the FA market.

If anything, Melo has a built-in excuse if he continues to lose. I trusted Phil Jackon - Phil didn't deliver on his promises.

11. Possum

Possum Member

Typical Carol Harrera thread!!!:rolleyes:

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

By this logic, no city is a preferred destination.

Fact is, we got 2 stars to sign here already.

13. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Dat traffic tho

14. Tony Stark

Tony Stark Member

Because we're offering guys who can be a number one on other teams to be a 3rd option on ours, plus more money other places , doesn't surprise me that they aren't signing here

15. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Hold on, now. Carl has dozens of dumb threads.

16. bmd

bmd Member

A few reasons...

1. Rockets can't offer the max or as much as some other teams. So they aren't going to be able to entice them with money.

2. Some free agents want to resign with their team because their team is pretty good and in the East. Harder to win in the West.

The fact is there are very few big-time free agents available any given year, and it's difficult to land them.

17. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

Maybe terrific free agents don't want to treated like emotionless assets by Morey?

18. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

Does anyone in the current Rockets management have NBA playing experience? I see the team under Morey as having an image of only being interested in profit and thinking of players as 0's and 1's. Not thinking that players might have families that need to relocate when they're flipped for other assets. It's not always about making the most money and winning a championship.

Parsons has been with the team the longest and it's only been 3 seasons. Free agents must wonder why the Rockets have such high turnover and see it as a bad thing. I know when I'm looking for a job I'm not interested in places that have high employee turnover.

There's got to be a middle ground between building a competitive team and showing a little loyalty to players and fans. The NBA is a brotherhood of active and former players. They talk to each other and share info good and bad about past experiences with teams.

19. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Lol.. out of touch old man?

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Carl's descent into going full on DD is starting to speed up.