1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Melo Pick The Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da_Spark, Jul 3, 2014.

Tags:
?

Carmelo a Rocket?

1. 100% YES

52 vote(s)
    13.5%
  2. Absolutely NOT

101 vote(s)
    26.3%
  3. Still 50-50

231 vote(s)
    60.2%
  1. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Melo's not coming here unless Bron comes also. Chi-Town is clear #2

2. steady

steady Member

Good points.

I really think Rockets have a good shot with Melo. That he met with them for 6 hours is another good sign.

Reason I think NYK aren't going to get him back is that Phil Jackson seems lukewarm on Melo.

3. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

This is purely what if scenario. IF Rose gets hurt again, the Bulls will NOT be contenders. Who on the that team besides Melo could potentially be the deciding factor in a playoff series? Noah? Butler? Man these guys are the Knicks 2.0. The ONLY reason they'd be presentable without Rose is because of Thibbs. They'd have a great defense and score 80pts a game lol. Melo is taking more of a risk with Chicago than Houston. We have 2 HEALTHY superstars and a owner who's hungry and wants to win. The most reasonable basketball choice is HOUSTON. If he wants to simply "build his brand" then obviously Chi-town

4. derp

derp Member

Something else I think everyone is forgetting is that if McHale fails in year 1 with Harden-Howard-Melo-Parson he is as good as gone.

In year 2 coaching wouldn't be an issue anymore. Either McHale improves significantly or we hire an elite coach. Only in Boston did a team win after getting put together the 1st year, and it isn't like next year would be their only chance.

5. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Isn't that why we watch, drama? Because T-Mac or Vernon Maxwell didn't cause drama. Melo is more mature mentally than Harden and Harden will come around because at his core he is a decent human being. Nothing wrong with being young and dumb. Its called being a healthy male.

Bring on Melo, he has skills that .001 percent of the NBA population has ever had.

6. papt8888

papt8888 Member

melo will not come to rocket.because rocket got no defense.
    no defense.no champion

7. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

according to Shaun11 = happy times ahead!!

8. yahboyryan

yahboyryan Member

If melo decides to go to bulls, I wonder if we could try to get taj Gibson from them...
    Beverly, harden, parsons, Gibson, Howard ??

9. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

who really knows what the bulls will lose. People on this board were claiming the Rockets could get lowry in a s&t and still land Melo....but with the bulls now we're arguing they have to ship half their roster.

Any way you cut it....this bulls team at half strength with all these injuries and all still won 48 games last year!! You can throw names out there all you want and judge the talent, but Thibs is about building a team, not stockpiling talent and then trying to figure out how to make it all work. WHo knows how good Mirotic is, but if he's arguably the best big in Europe, it'd be shocking if he comes over and can't contribute at all. Doug Mcbuckets we'll see, perhaps he's more of a jump shot oriented version of Gordon Hayward than he is a scrub that was adam morrison.

10. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

I think he goes to NY.

11. langal

langal Contributing Member

Kids might be more important to him than rings. We have no idea how much weight personal reasons carry with him.

If he were a single guy, the decision would be a LOT easier either way.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I understand the allure of staying in New York. I don't get the argument for Chicago at all.

Chance to win? No. Without Rose, a Melo-led Bulls team isn't a contender. And, who wants to bet their contention on Rose's health? They won 48 games without Rose. But, in the East -- there's probably at least 6 WC teams better than them. They're in the East and the Heat might fall apart, giving them a path to the Finals. But, what does it matter if you're still going to meet one of the Spurs/Clippers/Rockets/Thunder in the Finals?

Big city? Yeah, Chicago feels more metropolitan than Houston, if metropolitan is what he wants. But, it's a poor substitute for New York City.

Money? Lol.

It seems obvious to me that if winning is the priority, you go to Houston. If other things are important too and you're willing to gamble a bit on the winning, you stay in NYC and trust that Phil Jackson is going to turn out to be a great exec. What you don't do is go to Chicago where you sacrifice money and intangibles without maximizing your opportunity to win.

1 person likes this.
  13. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

If they can convince the Knicks to take boozer and his $16m salary, they can do a sign and trade and keep Gibson. If they cannot, the can only offer Melo $15m and keep Gibson. That assumes an amnesty of boozer and trading butler and dunleavy for nothing. I don't think Melo accepts $15-16m a year. So Chicago HAS to do a sign and trade if they want to keep Gibson. Without Gibson they become much weaker. If they do the sign and trade they will lose serious assets (mirotic butler and or dunleavy and picks). I think Melo looks at chi at $15m, looks at houston at $18-19m and goes back to Ny for $22-23m citing family, love of ny and trust in Jackson. Unfortunately. But I still hold out hope that he really means it when he says his first priority is to win. I don't think it is on e the rubber meets the road.

14. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

I agree with this. My take too unless Chicago can swing a trade. But I personally think rose will never be rose again.

15. Raven

Raven Member

DR can't stay healthy and Dirk is 36, so I think it's 50/50 between the Knicks and Rockets. Perhaps 51/49 in the Rockets' favor if Carmelo is amused over Lin's pout fest.

16. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Agree. He does not really want to win. He just wants to be in a big market and be "THE MAN" and rake in the money.

He and his wife think they are "too good" for Houston.

I do hope I am wrong, but I will NOT cry if this clown does not join the rockets.

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

same as dwight last year. the rockets offer the best chance of winning out of all the teams he's meeting with. we have the most talent, the youngest team, and the best record last season of all those teams.

so he has the same decision dwight had to make. stay where you are in a major market and make the supermax+major market endorsements OR make a little less but win a whole lot more.

dwight chose to win, to his credit. will melo? we can be happy either way, if he choses the knicks, he was never interested in winning so i wouldn't want him. if he choses the rockets, forget his reputation (like dwight) because he just chose less money/endorsements in order to win.

18. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

I'd say we have a 33% chance of getting Melo.

19. Thanos

Thanos Member

This. BINGO. You nailed it.