1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gordon Hayward Extension Watch: Setting the Bar for Chandler Parsons Contract?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 20, 2013.

?

What will Hayward's next contract be for per year?

1. Less than $7M

25 vote(s)
    9.4%
  2. $7-8M

45 vote(s)
    16.9%
  3. $8-9M

57 vote(s)
    21.4%
  4. $9-10M

51 vote(s)
    19.2%
  5. $10-11M

32 vote(s)
    12.0%
  6. More than $11M

56 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Cavs have zero chance to win a championship. Why offer a mediocre player a max contract? They have lost their minds.

2. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sources: Utah restricted free agent Gordon Hayward meeting in Cleveland today, lucrative offer sheet forthcoming. <a href="http://t.co/uOv7QPttT9">http://t.co/uOv7QPttT9</a></p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/statuses/484388868678901761">July 2, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Dumb Du-du-du-dumb

4. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Good lord, a max offer sheet for Gordon Hayward??
    :eek::eek:

Is someone in Cleveland on massive amounts of drugs?

Dont get me wrong, he is a good player but he aint max level good, no way in hell. After 5 years you are what you are, and I dont see him putting out max level production for anyone. At least Parsons is only entering his forth year and as such still could get better, and even then Parsons isnt worth max level either.

If the Cavs get Hayward for that much, they WILL regret it. I dont normally make ironclad predictions, but I feel comfortable saying that much.

5. jsmee2000

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>If Cavs make max offer to Gordon Hayward, it would be a four-year, $63m deal starting at $14.8m. He made $3.5m last season.</p>&mdash; Ken Berger (@KBergCBS) <a href="https://twitter.com/KBergCBS/statuses/484390588146802688">July 2, 2014</a></blockquote>

Yikes!

6. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I hope that is Berger speculating. I will be so pissed if Cleveland does that. The whole market will be inflated if that happens, not even just for Parsons.

7. jsmee2000

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>A Hayward offer sheet from Cavs that's not matched by Jazz effectively (for this summer at least) would end LeBron-back-to-Cavs option.</p>&mdash; Ira Winderman (@IraHeatBeat) <a href="https://twitter.com/IraHeatBeat/statuses/484392344415121409">July 2, 2014</a></blockquote>

8. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Have you seen what teams are spending? This offseason has already been nutty.

9. WaitForIt

WaitForIt Member

Oh my...

Well it's sorta close to what everyone thought he would make ($10-12 per year), but has the added premium of restricted FA. Cavs...Cavs, Cavs, Cavs, what are you guys smoking?

10. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

If Gilbert still owns the Cavs that effectively (for this summer at least) ends LeBron-back-to-Cavs option.

11. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I know lots of stoners that wouldnt even give that contract if they were superbaked.:grin:

CAvs front office must be on LSD.

12. clos4life

clos4life Member

Massive overpay. MASSIVE.

13. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

That's an epic overpaying of Hayward but at the Jazz foolish enough to match? That would make this joke even more funny....

14. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

Some team is gonna offer Parsons that. Could see Mark Cuban making that offer.

15. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sources telling me this <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cavs?src=hash">#Cavs</a> making max offer to Hayward is fantasy. Sides may just be in get acquainted stage. No offer sheet made and...</p>&mdash; john telich (@JohnTelich8) <a href="https://twitter.com/JohnTelich8/statuses/484413848128995328">July 2, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>(Hayward part 2) definitely not max. No decision or specifics have been determined per Hayward <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cavs?src=hash">#Cavs</a></p>&mdash; john telich (@JohnTelich8) <a href="https://twitter.com/JohnTelich8/statuses/484414235514904576">July 2, 2014</a></blockquote>

16. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Dont know who that guy is or if he has legit sources, but Im inclined to believe him just because I dont see any way in hell Hayward is worth more than about 10M.....and even that may be stretching it. For all the complaining about Chandler slacking on D this year, at least he has been known to play good D, something Hayward has never done.

17. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

I forgot how much the Jazz offered to extend Hayward. I think the same as Favors about $12.5 mil. But he turned it down and went on to have a sucky season. The Jazz need to overpay to keep him, but I don't understand why the Cavs would do the same. Is he a good player for a David Blatt offense?

18. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

He would be a good player for Blatt's offense as he is a great ball handler, and is a shooter as well. He's not worth the max but if Cleveland wants to pry him away from Utah they probably have to offer the max.

Also, Cleveland is loading up on their backcourt, Kyrie-Wiggins-Hayward is a pretty sick trio, Wiggins and Hayward both are really complete players so the dynamic would be pretty cool and would probably allow Kyrie to play a little bit off the ball too in certain scenarios.

They'd be a really good team for Pau to end up on, although I doubt he wants to play in Cleveland. But the idea of having 4 ball handlers on the floor at all times opens up a really amazing offense.

19. Huricane

Huricane Contributing Member

Hey R2K,

There have been so many leaks and false leaks that I have tuned out just about anything that is reported on twitter unless it is reported by someone that has serious credibility like Woj or it is a statement made by a team /player or agent.

You have to believe that some of these leaks are being made by teams or agents to get reactions from other teams or agents.

I am inclined to believe that the leak might have been made by Gordon Hayward's agent to increase the offers teams are giving Gordon, or maybe by the Cavs to see how the Jazz react.

We know that the Cavs front office is not exactly the best in the league. Actually, they are one of the worst, but to think that are dumb enough to give Hayward a Max contract is not believable. Even if the Cavs front office did in fact give him the Max, it would not be a good barometer as everyone would think the Cavs offered the contract out of desperation.

While Gordon Hayward and Chandler Parsons are similar players, I believe Chandler Parsons is a better player. I was hoping the Market for Gordon Hayward would be around 8 million per year, allowing the Rockets to resign Chandler for an amount greater than 8 million but less than 10 million. Those hopes have been dashed. With the offers being mentioned for Hayward, it leads me to believe that we will not be able to resign Chandler for less than 10 million. That is not good for the Rockets free agency plans.

With that being said, I will be patient and wait and see how the free agent market plays out. The actual offers may not be as high as they are being reported, and as teams use up cap space, options become more limited and we may still be able to sign free agents to offers that reflect their production versus value based on market demand.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Hayward is the new Rudy Gay