1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As Carmelo Anthony leans toward leaving New York, Chicago and Houston emerge as frontrunners

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by t0mdotcom, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I would really hope that Melo can go into these meetings with an open mind. But with the way LeBron is operating, and how Dwight was in the bag from the get-go last year, I seriously doubt that it's going to work out that way.

2. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's amazing to me that people still think Rose can come back at a high level. He had 18 months off, totally sucked, and then got injured again. Let's also not forget that his MVP was a total sham. The Rose hype is unbelievable (not here, just in general). If Melo is smart he'll see that.

#1582 SC1211, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  3. meh

meh Contributing Member

But it was clear that the Rockets were the best situation last year. It's very much unclear what is the best option for Melo at this point. The main arguments against the Rockets are (A) we need defense not more offense, and (B) he can't share the ball with Harden and Howard. These are philosophical issues, things that through a meeting can be discussed and fleshed out. Rose not being healthy is just that. Nothing can overcome that.

4. Fullcourt

I agree, which is why I hope he has an open mind. If he's had the dream of joining Chicago for awhile and can't be talked out of it no matter how little sense it makes, it's gonna be pretty gloomy around here.

5. Raven

Raven Member

6. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

While i respect docs tweets and thoughts, i just dont see how melo isnt our #1 option. And i also dont see how we are not his #1 option....these reports have cast doubts but iam still siding with logic here.

Iam pretty sure we have a realistic shot at acquiring K.Love too but the real question is: Can Morey get K.Love without trading parsons? the answer imo is a NO, so that alone should be reason enough to side with melo, even though love is probably the perfect pickup next to dwight.

We will see where Melo ends up but iam sure its between us and ny...the arguments people(media) have of him not signing here are all predicted out comes on something that cant be measured.

I just fear his love for NY and his fear of LALA will lead him to staying, and if that happens then we know where his heart stands(comfort,max money> winning)

7. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

The injury he sat out this year was actually pretty weak. Football players have came back in 2 months over a torn meniscus. So Rose/Bulls were being cautious, in this case, overly cautious. He could have came back this year. I actually think all the time off will help him in the big picture.

8. Fullcourt

So Melo is meeting with the Bulls tonight at midnight, right? I mean it wouldn't make sense for him to visit them tomorrow at midnight. If so, why is he waiting until Wednesday to visit the Texas teams?

9. Fullcourt

Hopefully. It's a tragedy that he's had to miss so much time. He was one of the best players on the planet.

10. nykb17

nykb17 Member

We need to blow away everybody with an offer to the Knicks. Asik being traded early is going to hurt as we needed that contract along with Lin to match up Melo's contract.

11. Fullcourt

Why would that matter? Melo would still have to choose us.

12. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

Maybe he is taking the bus.

13. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

Why does it matter? some of you guys are overthinking WAY too much.

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

That deal isn't official yet. Which means it can easily be expanded into a 3-team deal that involves Melo and the Knicks. It would work out something like this.

Rockets trade Lin+Asik+stuff to Knicks for Melo. Salaries match.
    Knicks trade Asik to NO for their 1st round pick.

15. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

16. Fullcourt

Seems you're the one overthinking my post. I agree it doesn't matter. I'm just trying to confirm when we meet with him so I can be around to read the reports/reactions.

17. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

I still find it hard to believe that Morey is interested in Melo. He has to be option like 4 or 5. The fit just isn't there. Obviously LeBron is option #1. Then, I think Morey is doing what he can to make a Kevin Love trade happen. He's probably holding out for a better offer for Lin to get another asset to offer Minnesota. Option 3 is Lowry. Yes, him and McHale didn't get along but I like to think couple million dollars and a shot at playing next to Harden and Dwight can ease the tension. Then, Melo comes into play. After that? what the hell do we do if none of those options work? Does Morey have another plan? Could we sign a guy to like a one year deal to help fill in for now while keeping our salary cap space in play for next offseason? Maybe a guy like Luol Deng and Shawn Marion would be willing to take one big year deal with like a team option.

18. basketballholic

19. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

Not necessarily. Signing Melo means that Rose will definitely lose some teammates. If he recruits hard and the Bulls dont get melo, its gonna be pretty awkward in that lockeroom. This is also why Harden and Dwight have said they wont actively recruit. Doing so, is basically telling Lin, who is still their teammate, they dont want him around anymore. Good teammates dont do that to each other.

20. Raven

Raven Member

Unlike Love, he can acquire Carmelo w/o giving up assets, and Morey probably assumes Wade would not have opted out w/o assurances that Diva was staying.