1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mark Cuban: Kevin McHale is a bad coach.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ForTheWinYes, Jun 29, 2014.

1. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

we should have advanced past the first round with our current group of players...if we add a 3rd star (Melo Love LBJ) there is no way we aren't in the WCF next year and McHale likely gets an extension even if it's just because he helped land those players.

2. Samdogg36

Samdogg36 Member

As much as I hate the Mavs I always respect their coach. He does a good job, certainly one of the best. I'm not going to knock McHale either, I believe he has done his job at least. Rome wasn't built overnight...give him some time.

3. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

funny. MOF! I mean, M muthar fxxking O F !!!!
    CF is a wonderland

4. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

he makes some good points. do you really think he will stop watching the rox if KM is fired. Stop with your silliness

5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cuba has been talking s**t about Houston in free agency two years in a row. He sniped at the Rockets a couple of times during and after the Dwight drama. Honestly, even if his opinion has merit it is kind of unseemly.

He's really projecting the appearance, imo, of insecurity about Dallas relative to Houston. I certainly, in any case, am convinced that he spends a whole lot of his day feeling threatened by DM.

6. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

I seriously don't care what Cuban said. It always seem he got something to say about Houston.

7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Name one championship team with a bad coach.

You know what other players loved their coach? Texans and Kubiak. Where did that get them? You can't let the inmates run the asylum. Rockets' window isn't huge and we don't have time to waste with a coach who is clearly outmatched. Call McHale CF's scapegoat all you want, but nobody here is rooting against him. We're just calling a spade a spade.

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Houston with Rudy T ;)

9. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Low blow.(ouch)

10. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

You joke, but Rudy T and Erik Spoelstra are arguably the weakest coaches to lead teams to titles in the last 30 years in the NBA. And those guys were both damn good coaches who were 100 times better than McFail.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Almost everyone thought Eric Spoelstra was a bad coach even after the Heat won their 1st championship. A lot of people still question his ability as a coach.

Paul Westhead was fired after winning a championship with the Lakers because Magic Johnson and Jerry Buss had no confidence in him as a coach.

There was the thought that KC Jones was not that great of a coach when he won a couple of championships as the Celtics coach. He kind of proved he wasn't a great coach when he took over a very good Sonics team and got fired mid way through his 2nd season and was replaced by George Karl.

Some people think our own Rudy T was not the best coach in the world and yet his team beat Pat Riley's team in the finals for the Rockets 1st NBA championship.

Doc Rivers wasn't exactly the most respected coach in the world prior to getting the Three Amigos in Boston. In fact, he was never even able to win a play-off series in the very, very weak Eastern Conference while coaching in Boston or Orlando. He only won 25 games in 05/06 in what was a pathetically weak conference when he had Paul Pierce.

Imagine Doc Rivers only winning 25 games in the pathetic East with a healthy Paul Pierce? In Kevin McHales 1st season as the Rockets coach the team won .515 percent of its games in a brutal Western Conference and was in a position to make the play-offs until Kyle Lowry got sick and missed so much time at the end of the season. That Rockets team did not have anyone close to the caliber of player as Paul Pierce.

13. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I would defend anyone associated with the Rockets from any of this clown Cuban's remarks except Kevin McHale who is a truly incompetent, joke of a coach, and a liability to the Rockets being one of the 3 worst coaches in the NBA.

The Rockets biggest obstacle to winning is Kevin McHale.

14. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

The coach can be fired at any time, it is not a big problem for a player who is willing to join a team. Melo could ask for another coach even in the interview if he wants to do.

As for Cuban: "but their coaches are not as good as Rick Carlisle." He did not say McHale is a bad coach, the clutchfans said based on his talk that he is a bad coach because we know that McHale is bad, but people outside Houston may think he is good.

15. DocRock

DocRock Member

Rudy T, Spo, and all those other so-so coaches were work

16. DocRock

DocRock Member

Fixed.

17. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

They are not great, but they are not so-so coaches either. Spo made a good adjustment in every playoff run, he was much better than the OKC coach during that year.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This is hilarious. I'm FAR from a MOF if you've ever followed any of my posts in the past. I'm just objective about the idiocy NBA (& most major sports) fans have about coaches. Its obsession with making them the scapegoat & hating fanatically for no real reason or very little reason.

Look....McHale is a bottom 8 coach in the NBA from an X's and O's & defensive standpoint, but dont act like is no reason why the Rockets still keep him employed. Its utter ignorance to not think this way.

The Rocket didn't underachieve last year(were never supposed to be a top contender... the fans were just fooled to think they were), they had one of the best seasons in franchise history from a winning % standpoint, and the players really respond to McHale.

There is plenty of blame to go around to pretty much everyone on the team for why the Rockets didn't beat the Blazers. Poor series from Harden, Parsons & Bev mix up on Lillard 3, Jones for being a 1st year (2nd official) player who was over-counted on too much last year, or Morey for not bringing in players that matched up better for a Portland series.

For the record.... YES I would love for the Rockets to upgrade the coaching staff but I'm not ignorant to the fact that there are reasons he's still kept in charge for the moment.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Coaches tend to be rated on their team's success, but when they aren't the ones playing that's a pretty bad metric.

The best team normally wins the title in the NBA. Does that mean their coach was the best coach or did he have the best talent? Or did he make the talent great?

Doc Rivers was a mediocre coach at best and a quitter when he went to Boston. He was a caretaker of a tanking team that was probably going to get fired along with the GM before the franchise was saved by the Big 3 coming together due to a favor from Kevin McHale. Now Rivers is considered one of the best coaches in the NBA despite the fact the only time he did anything of note was when he had three hall of famers at the end of their prime in the East.

Jerry Sloan is universally considered a great coach. He got a lot out of those Utah teams, even post Stockton and Malone, but he never won a title. Is he a better or worse coach than Doc Rivers?

Heck, there is even debate about whether Phil Jackson is really even a GREAT coach or whether he's a coach that has a workable scheme with the right roster that had the luck of landing in the right place at the right time.

Scott Skiles is well respected as a coach, but he never got anywhere with any team he ever coached.

Rick Carlisle is considered a great coach now after winning a title, but he flamed out in Detroit and Indiana with the idea being that he was a guy who wore on players over time. He won a title in Dallas and now he is the subject of this thread.

Tom Terrific in Chicago is being praised in the media as one of the best coaches in the NBA right now, but the talk during the season was he might be fired because he wears his players out with too many minutes and too hard of minutes.

Erik Spolestra was openly mocked when the Heat went on their title run. The talk after the first failed year was that Riley would fire him and take his turn at the helm again to win another title. Now that he has two rings people think Spo is a good coach. Some still don't.

When you look at "great coaches" you will typically find the same constant: Great Talent.

When you look at title teams you will typically find the same constant: Best Talent.

There are a few exceptions.

To me the mark of a great coach is one that wins with multiple teams and that gets consistent results regardless of the talent level. That's why I say Rick Adelman and George Karl are both great coaches despite never having a ring.

20. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Great post! In the end, it's all about the talent.