1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could Duncan be just as good or better than the dream

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by nateb40, May 16, 2003.

1. YaoROY

YaoROY Member

Since you're speechless, maybe you can save those words you typed and some bandwidth along with that.

If you can't make an argument, using something like 'speechless' won't help you get there.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's not an argument. It's an observation of a fact, Duncan's finals opponents blew. Deal with it.

3. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

And Olajuwon only won his first title 'cause of crappy free throw shooting by Starks. A championship is a championship.

4. Jaybird

Jaybird Member

It took Dream 9 seasons to get his first 26+ ppg season, Duncan's in the middle of his 6th.

Once again you're looking at a set of 17 seasons in a Rocket uniform. Duncan's in his 6th season and his rebounding numbers have improved each year.

Steals and Blocks I won't contest, because the numbers show that Dream was more talented in that regard.

Once again I'll reiterate, You're talking about a Finals series 11 years in the making. To perclude the possibility that Duncan could perfomr at a similar level is outrageous, considering how well he's shown he can play in the playoffs this year.

I'm not going to argue that either player is better, particularly because one of the players mentioned isn't finished with his playing days. I just find it funny that the comparison is dismissed before he even gets into his prime. Wait 10 years and come back to the argument.

5. SamFisher

No that is not a fact; that is a hypothesis.

It is a fact that neither the 99 Knicks nor the 03 Nets won 50 or more games (the knicks were 27-23).

Do you see the difference?

6. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

When we beat the Magic we had 47 wins, so since the Rockets had 47 wins does that mean our Championship didn't count? Teams don't have to have 50+ wins to be championship caliber teams

#186 4chuckie, Jun 6, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2003
  7. SamFisher

I am stating a simple fact that the Spurs played crappy teams in the Finals. Draw whatever conclusion from it that you want.

8. Beckman

Beckman Member

Jaybird,
    Try reading the entire post. I said that Duncan is great and may turn out to be on of the greatest post players ever, but right now, he is not on Dreams level. My argument clearly bears this out. You gotta read to achieve, brotha.

Sure Duncan may surpass those numbers. My point is that people are jumping the gun. Let Tim Duncan actually do it, before we praise him for it.

9. striker

striker Member

If you look at the statistics for Hakeem's and Duncan's first six years in the league they are remarkably close for the two in most categories including PPG, FG%, Reb, TO. The major differences come in blocks for Hakeem in 4 of 6 years and Asts for Duncan in 4 of 6 years.

It remains to be seen who proves to be the better player and Rockets and Spurs fans will have to recuse themselves from the jury. Both had/has supreme talent, Hakeem was more athletic, Duncan has a higher basketball IQ.

10. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

My conclusion is simple:
    A championship is a championship, there are no *

11. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

So just going by their numbers for the first 6 years, if their offensive numbers are similar (even though Dream had better fg%'s), then how is Duncan just as good/better when his defensive stats don't stack up at all? Duncan has never averaged 1 steal a game, and Dream's worst yr (in those first 6) for blocks per game was 2.71, higher than Duncans average in 5/6 seasons.

Just as good offensively + No where near as good defensively = Better???? :confused:

12. SamFisher

that's nice.

13. striker

striker Member

The argument that I'll make that you won't accept is that Hakeem was not as good an offensive player as Duncan is and the tale lies in the assist.

West in a recent comment said Duncan sees the court and distributes the ball better than most PGs. Pop calls him a quarterback.

Hakeem was more individual offense. Duncan is individual offense but also a brings a far superior level in involving the team in the offense. So what Hakeem holds an edge on in defense, though Duncan is a dominant defender, Duncan evens out at the offensive end.

14. Bruce

Bruce Member

Looking at duncans stats for his entire carrere and hakeems in the begining of his .... Dream beats out duncan in every category but FT% and assists.... ther is no comparison right now ether wait till duncan has more experience or compare him to someone whos game he more resembles

15. x_trepidation_x

Striker, I think I would agree with your post.

Although, nothing is finalized yet. When Duncan's career is over, he might very well be considered the best basketball player, which I think is a very strong possibility, to have played the game.

The fact that, Duncan dominated Shaq this season really does help bolster Duncan's credibility. What I am intrested to see is how Duncan does when Robinson retires.

16. Cato=Bum

Cato=Bum Member

Now Duncan might end up being the best bball player EVER?

Laughable.

Duncan did not dominate Shaq. He had 1 good quarter against him in Game 6 and other than that the last 2 years Shaq always intimidates him when they matchup. Because he has 1 good quarter vs. Shaq, the last 3 years when Shaq was destroying Duncan and SA all of a sudden don't matter?

Duncan is about one of the least clutch FT shooters in the NBA and is not a clutch player in general.

No way in hec is Duncan a better offensive player than Olajuwon. He might be a better passer but is not half as clutch in Hakeem in big moments and does not have a money shot which is just automatic like Hakeem did and defensively there's not even a comparison. Anyone can look like a great passer against crappy defensive teams like Phoenix, Dallas, and NJ. Magic Johnson was a better creator than MJ, but MJ was better player overall.

Compare Duncan to guys like McHale, Barkley, K. Malone, not guys like Hakeem or Shaq. He's not at that level and probably never will be.

17. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

:rolleyes:

Funny stuff!

18. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

Bill Russell recently said that Tim Duncan just might be "the most complete player ever". But of course he doesn't know jack. Let's ask Scotty Brooks who was the best...

19. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

First off Hakeem will have played four (virtually five) more years as a professional than DRob. 1,238 games to 987. That is because DRob spent two years fulfilling his commitment with the Navy and he missed all but six games in 1996-97. In addition Hakeem was 21 when he entered the league in 1984 and DRob, had he entered in 1987, would have been 22.

A full 0.10 more blocks per game. Wow.

As I mentioned above Hakeem has the benefit of more seasons in the league.

A full 0.34 per game.

Again, more games. Of course you knew that.

Again, Hakeem spent more seasons in the league than DRob.

What an intelligent statement. Seek counseling kiddo.

DRob was a better on ball defender than Hakeem ever was. He didn't just guard bigs he took on SFs and guards at times. That's not measured simply by blocks but of course someone who's not an "idiot or homer" such as yourself would know how to appreciate the defensive performance of a NBA player.

Why did the almighty defensive player Hakeem need an immediate double team on DRob in that series? If anyone humiliated DRob in that series it was Bob Hill, who just got fired from Fordham.

Again, longevity.

Beyond this I must say that I have no ill will towards Hakeem whatsoever but some of the inmates here seem to bear a hatred for DRob. Sad.

20. codell

codell Contributing Member

I heard Russell talk about this. This is not what he said.

Ill tell you what he really said, but 1st, you have to you have to listen to this song. Then scroll down

Don't scroll down before you listen to the song.
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I

Russell: I love you. You complete me
    Duncan; Aw shut up. You had me at hello.