1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2014 NBA Draft/1-25] Clint Capela

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 26, 2014.

?

Do you like Houston's choice (draft-and-stash) of Clint Capela at the 25th pick?

1. YES

328 vote(s)
    80.6%
  2. NO

79 vote(s)
    19.4%
  1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I saw the press conference. Right now, he is a raw 5 who needs to gain strength.
    I hope he can develop an offensive skill set, to complement his defensive game.

If he doesn't work hard enough, this will go down as a wasted pick. Clutch's comments have pointed out, that there are concerns about him.

2. DanTanna

DanTanna Contributing Member

Mirsad Türkcan drafted by the Houston Rockets with the 18th pick of the 1998 draft. Do you even know who else we drafted that year?

3. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Good pick I like it , great height, just what we were looking for. But yet too skinny! I hope Mchale and the Rockets work with this guy and bulk him up. I hope he has a bright future with us.

4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

Better to ask who we did not draft - poor local high school kid.

5. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Is he a rich man's Bismack Biyombo?

6. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

How can he be a rich-man's Biyombo if Capela makes less than him? I do think Biyombo is near Capela's floor though.

7. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

lmao :grin:

8. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Turkcan wanted to come over immediately but due to the lockout he ended up staying overseas. By the way he did eventually come to the NBA (NYK), he just wasn't very good.

So we shouldn't draft anymore foreign players in the first round because one player didn't immediately come over?

I was a season ticket holder in '98, so yes, I'm well aware of who we drafted. The Dickerson/Mobley backcourt was fun. I always hated the Bryce Drew pick since I felt that he was drafted solely on the basis of his end to end NCAA Tourney buzzer beater. I wasn't too big of a Rashard Lewis fan so I wasn't upset as most that we passed on him.

9. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I heard one of the analysts say he was a wasted pick, said if you ever saw him play you would understand.

Very unusual for an analyst to come out and say a guy is outright bad in public.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

My concerns with him are mostly he needs to add strength and his shooting away from the basket could be improved. I do like that he is extremely efficient around basket like Terrance Jones, but do worry he'll have similar defensive problems..albeit being bigger, longer helps a lot.

12. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

That was Ryan Russillo who said that -- I heard it as well. Yeah, I really have no idea on Capela -- I am not optimistic on him whatsoever though. I'll be relieved if he ends up being traded.

Johnson on the other hand...I am very excited about that pick.

13. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

The "low motor" and "not a hard worker" labels are always concerning. Always.

But, he's 20 years-old. His work ethic can change. If he already rebounds and blocks shots at that high a rate with his "low motor", there's nowhere to go but up, and up in this case is pretty freaking great.

14. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

My apologies if it has been posted:

Read More: http://www.slamonline.com/nba/clint-capela-houston-rockets/

1 person likes this.
  15. basketballholic

He is right. Kid is young and athletic. That's it. He cannot, and I mean cannot, help us next season. He really isn't good enough to be on an NBA roster next season. But perhaps Cleveland will give us that Miami 2015 first rounder and Brendan Haywood for this kid??? Who knows? You can always dream.

16. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

That means it was a wasted pick?

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Get to know the guy who might be the steal of the NBA draft: <a href="http://t.co/ycUBhvYsVm">http://t.co/ycUBhvYsVm</a></p>&mdash; Deadspin (@Deadspin) <a href="https://twitter.com/Deadspin/statuses/482275316963229696">June 26, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yes, the Rockets could hypothetically sign Capela to 80% of the rookie scale, which would reduce his cap hit a little bit. However, until he is signed or signs a letter stating his intention not to play in the NBA next season, Capela counts at 100% of the rookie scale. Either way, not a huge hit to the Rockets' cap space.

My guess is that Capela will stay overseas next season (just like D-Mo did) and will count at 0% of the rookie scale.

You're mostly correct. Some teams actually have a history of paying first round picks below rookie scale. The biggest culprit?: The San Antonio Spurs.

19. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

20. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

I like that he looks to be rebound well, is a good shot blocker, and is an effective finisher. He has good height. If he can fill out enough to play center and develop his skills he seems like he could be a valuable player. Seems like a big if though.