1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2014 NBA Draft/2-43] Nick Johnson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 26, 2014.

?

Do you like Houston's choice of Nick Johnson at the 42nd pick?

1. YES

452 vote(s)
    91.1%
  2. NO

44 vote(s)
    8.9%
  1. RCKTBachar

RCKTBachar Member

His uncle is Vinnie "the microwave". Nick can fill it up, play defense, work within the system, catch and shoot, dunk in someone's mug, create his own shot. Great pick and replacement for JLin.

2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

What so hard about taking an undersized but athletic 2 and teaching him to be a 1?

Or, why is a guy that's 6'2" but has a 45" vertical more undersized than a guy that's 6'
    6" but only has a 40" vertical?

I do think this guy makes the team to replace Lin and probably ahead of Caanan,

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There you said it. Parsons and Beverley WERE both Defensive Studs.

They are regressing.

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

It's funny you say they when Beverley has not regressed a bit. Also, what the hell does your statement have to do with anything in this thread? Unless I am misunderstanding your meaning.

5. RCKTBachar

RCKTBachar Member

I think you are spot on here.NJ played some point at UofA, he brought the ball up a lot. I think he is a steal at 45, we will see.

6. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Kid looks good to me. Im down with it

7. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

You can't just "teach" someone playmaking skills and court vision. Although it might be possible for him to improve his ball handling ability to the point where he can initiate some basic sets and bring the ball up the floor.

Re: size, it's more about weight and build. Vertical has absolutely nothing to do with anything when you're trying to stay in front of an opponent or trying to power your way through the lane.

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

He has a good looking 3 point shot, so it wouldn't surprise me if he shot it around 40% in a year or two.

9. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

Beverly hasn't regressed. You are talking out of your ass. Parsons I agree has regressed with more offensive responsibility.

Yup, with James Harden at the two he isn't required to be a playmaker and handle the ball. He just has to be good enough to get us into the offense, much like Patty Mills with the Spurs.

His defense means I agree he will be ahead of Caanan and Caanan may be part of the Lin deal.

10. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

In college he shot 38% on catch and shoot 3's. That number dips off of the dribble.

11. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

No, his uncle is Dennis Johnson, not Vinnie Johnson.

12. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Contributing Member

He's stocky with a vertical. When I watched his highlight reel, he reminded me a bit of Steve Francis.

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i really really like this pick. this kid is NBA ready right now, very athletic, and seems to be a two-way player. One of those well rounded players who does a lot of different things well. He's got a high motor, so we could be looking at a hard-nosed, tenacious player at the next level. The guy said he wanted to glum onto Beverly ...what more needs to be said?

People knock him for being only 6'3", but one thing i've learned from watching 3 decades of NBA basketball, if you are fast, handle the ball well, have good BBall IQ, and can catch n' shoot or shoot off the dribble, you'll find a way to be successful. the league is full of undersized guys who know how to score. The fact that this guy plays D means he'll see the floor at some point this year.

Morey really nailed another 2nd rounder. He's a better prospect than Cannan. Between Cannan, Daniels, and Johnson, i really think our summer league back-court is gonna be fun to watch this year.

#193 Aruba77, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  14. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

His uncle dennis sat him down and said "Look, you're too short to make it in the pros, and you cant handle the ball like Muggsy.. so put this 100lb sack across your shoulders and go do squat jumps everyday until you cant feel your legs.. you may not be able to reach over them, but by God you will jump over them."

SERIOUSLY.. dude may be 6'3", but he blocks and hits alley-hoops like hes 6'8.... the guy can get in the air.

15. solid

solid Contributing Member

I like this pick; not so much the other two. The Rockets have had terrible luck with Euros. When the words "toughness" and "defensive-minded" are used to refer to a player, I like him.

16. Play07

Play07 Member

Dude picked a players pocket, then went the other way & did a 360 one Handed dunk. That's Wall, George, Westbrook kinda stuff

17. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

i hated him in college (mainly because i hated arizona and that overrated scrub Aaron Gordon)

but this was an AWESOME pick

18. Play07

Play07 Member

I've been wanting a guy who was athletic, plays hard nose d, dunks, shoots the 3 forever !! please don't send this guy to the d-league

19. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

That's exactly what I was going to say. He looks like Francis when he was coming out of Maryland.

20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He is an exciting prospect, can do a lot of good things. He plays bigger than his height. It should be fun to see him on the Rockets squad.