1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who should the Cavs select with the #1 pick in the 2014 NBA Draft (again) ?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Swishh, May 20, 2014.

?

Who should the Cavs pick?

1. Andrew Wiggins

119 vote(s)
    51.3%
  2. Jabari Parker

36 vote(s)
    15.5%
  3. Joel Embiid

53 vote(s)
    22.8%
  4. Doug McDermott (knowing the Cavs, this is entirely possible, lol)

24 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. itony

itony Member

wiggins imo is a long term work in progress. parker has a great game already to work off of. if the cavs arent winning soon irving is leaving therefore i went with parker, someone who can contribute immediately

2. Sanity2disChaos

Parker should be the number one pick...he has STAR POTENTIAL and would be the cavs best choice.He is NBA ready and will get much, much better. There is no debate.

3. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

There is no doubt in my mind that it is Embiid. The thing is, how many franchise players will this draft produce? Finally, the 2003 kind of draft we have been waiting for.

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Wanted to talk about him, but apparently got caught in my ramblings. Too much bad decisions to cover. :grin:

Yes, that was the same as with Bennett and Tristan. A) Bad talent evaluation B) Not a position of need C) Could've traded down for him, picked way too early.

This formula seems to be the case for nearly every recent Cavs pick.

5. Swishh

Swishh Member

Changed my mind after hearing that Embiid is 100% , and watching some more highlights.

Embiid should go #1. If not him (because of the Cavs fears of potential issues) , then I'd go with Parker.

I'm not exactly sure how Wiggins will flourish in the NBA. He may be another Demar Derozan? I don't want to make that comparison since I haven't seen much of him, but based off the little I did see, is that a fair comparison?

6. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

elian gonzalez

7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Wiggins has a way better jump shot than DeRozan and really improved it this season. Very solid mechanics, lift and huge range. I see him as something like a Paul George when coming into the league, who needed some time to work on his 3pt shooting and learning to create plays. But he has all the tools to be an all-star, no real weakness in his game and doesn't need the ball to be effective.

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Embiid, no doubt....there's risk there that he won't be a great player, but I think at worst, he'll be at the level LMA had been....but the guys movements and touch are top notch stuff. I'm not sure he has the imagination of Dream, but he's like a more athletic LMA.

No one should compare this to Oden over KD. Oden never moved like Embiid in his life and Wiggins can't shoot like KD, so that sets this year's guys a lot closer than the other two.

9. Swishh

Swishh Member

Embiid's recent workout. Oh my...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Gp7PX7hYUFQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Read reports from his practice this week and they say he's showing crazy improvement. Superb moves and touch in the post and apparently he's automatic from midrange. They say he's basically moving like 7ft+ Ibaka. Multiple scouts now saying there's not even a debate about #1 for them.

11. basketballholic

He's moving like a young Akeem...not Hakeem...but Akeem. Will be become Hembiid?

12. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

He reminds me of just a more athletic favors. Nice prospect and have him 5th ATM on my big board

13. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Go with the big man!

14. RightToCensor

RightToCensor Member

Embiid looked really mobile, good to see that from him.

Remember Dre' Drummond had a back issue going into his rookie season and now he looks like the steal of the draft along with Damien.

BUT, even at that, Cleveland has the chance to fill the void they've had at SF since Lebron left. The Cavs need to put into account that if Lebron doesn't return this offseason. There are TWO franchise small forwards in this draft and it would be hard to pass up on them. Cleveland has one more year out of Varejao before he becomes a free agent, so I think the smart thing is to wait one more year before obtaining a center. This year's class of NCAA Freshmen has Okafor, Turner, and Towns who all has amazing talent going into college.

I'll stick with either drafting Jabari Parker or trading the pick for another lotto pick and a player.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah tbh I dunno who the Cavs are gonna pick (knowing them I wouldn't be surprised if htey get yet another reach in someone like say Marcus Smart to replace Irving who they don't want to pay the max :rolleyes:) but IMHO they should go get either Parker or Wiggins (my pick personally).

Why not Embid:
    Let's face it, Embid has all the hype right now, he's a really hot name and tearing up the draft order with his ridiculous combine stats. You know who else had this kind of hype? Greg Oden. Yao Ming. Derrick Favors and Enes Kanter. Everyone acknowledges that despite the "new" NBA, the most dominant force is still a 7 foot two-way center, as we have seen with Bynum (prime), Howard and Duncan. However, the 7 foot franchise center has also gone the way of the dodo not just because 7 foot dudes with drive and skill haven't been born, it's just that they are either really raw or got injured. If everyone was healthy Yao Ming would have a couple of NBA MVPs right now, and Oden would probably have 2-3 titles running with both LMA and BRoy. On the other hand you still have Enes "dream proportions" Kanter and Derrick "Howard 2.0" Favors still developing in Utah after 4-5 years. Embiid checked out alright now but coming into the draft Yao Ming had no injuries, Bynum had no injuries, Bogut and Howard had no injuries as well. He's still growing, and while his back is ok at his "current" weight, what happens when he starts putting on muscle and banging with the no names night after night? If it was any other draft, sure you go and get the dream center. But this isn't any draft, why take the risk for the franchise C when you have both a franchise PF and franchise SF/SG waiting for you? LOL why take the risk on Greg Oden/Yao Ming 2.0 when Dwade and Bosh are in the same class?

Why Wiggins over Parker:
    Like I said both are equally good over my eyes, but I'd take Wiggins just because they already have 2 solid PFs (and 1 bust PF) on the team. More importantly, adequate PFs are easy to find, and IMHO Wiggins has the higher upside of the two. He's also the one with all the hype, and you know if they really want LBJ on the team I'd try to lure him as either the SF with Wiggins as the Pippen SG or I'd have Lebron play the PF like he does in the playoffs and have Wiggins as the SF. If you have Parker instead and LBJ comes over, then there's no chance for LBJ to go beast mode since Parker is already the PF.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sources: Cavs owner Dan Gilbert wants Wiggins at No. 1. Cavs front office wants Parker. Link coming ...</p>&mdash; Chad Ford (@chadfordinsider) <a href="https://twitter.com/chadfordinsider/statuses/481784527032188930">June 25, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. Lakersuk

Lakersuk Member

The funny part is none of them want Cleveland;) Gilbert wants wiggins cause he think he;s the next lebron and this is personal for him. His front office is smarter than that and they know parker is more of a sure thing and since theyve swong for the fences these past few drafts with no success they understand the value in taking someone like parker to put alongside kyrie - ala what the wizards did. Just my opinion

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Nonsense. We are united. RT <a href="https://twitter.com/chadfordinsider">@chadfordinsider</a>: Cavs owner Dan Gilbert wants Wiggins at #1 Front office wants Parker. <a href="http://t.co/IMRUK09DKs">http://t.co/IMRUK09DKs</a></p>&mdash; Dan Gilbert (@cavsdan) <a href="https://twitter.com/cavsdan/statuses/481807244297007104">June 25, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Lol that was quick
    <iframe style="display: none;" allowtransparency="true" scrolling="no" id="rufous-sandbox" frameborder="0"></iframe>

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

If they draft and keep, it'd have to be Wiggins. They won't pick Parker, not after he showed up fat and listless for their workout. But they want to drive up the price on that pick.

They just better not screw it up like they did last year. My God, somebody teach these guys how to draft. Dion Waiters at #4? Tristan Thompson at #4? Anthony "Where's the Buffet?" Bennett at #1?