1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Agent to Heat: LeBron James opting out

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Camarograna2, Jun 24, 2014.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Howard last year:

April 30:
    Los Angeles Lakers: 4/7
    Houston Rockets: 11/4
    Dallas Mavericks: 3/1
    Atlanta Hawks: 6/1
    Any Other Team: 17/2

July 2:
    Rockets 7-5
    Lakers 9-5
    Mavericks 3-1
    Hawks 19-2
    Warriors 10-1

1 person likes this.
  2. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

That doesn't make any sense though. Why trade away Griffin? The dude was 3rd in MVP voting this season. Yes, you improve the team by adding LeBron, but not by much when you subtract Griffin.

3. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Just throwing this out there, and im sure I could be way off base but: could we do something with the clippers and heat to trade a bunch and whatnot to get lebron to clippers, griffin to rockets and both send a crapload to heat? just saying, if clippers want lebron bad enough to settle for a Big 2, then why not try and snag griffin as a big 3? I think we would still be better and could shove it in lebrons face when we play each other

4. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

The question is not whether Griffin and Dudley are equal value to LeBron. It's whether Miami likes the chance to acquire Blake Griffin (assuming and S&T) more than they like other options out there, and whether they would want a player like Griffin on their team to build around.

My guess is that they would.

No team trading away LeBron is going to "win" the trade; but that's not the point.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well they'd have to trade away Griffin if they wanted Lebron. I think the whole thing is bunk and that they just want to find some way to include LA.

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The bigger question is whether LeBron would still view the Clippers as a preferred option if Griffin is in the proposed deal with Miami. That's what I doubt. Chris Paul will be 30 next season, and his body is already breaking down a lot. His salary is above $20 million, which added to LeBron, will make acquiring a 3rd star difficult.

From a basketball standpoint, I think both the Rockets (with Harden/Howard) and the Heat (Wade, Bosh, etc.) give LeBron a better chance to win a ring than the Clippers without Griffin. If LeBron really loves Paul and Doc Rivers that much, it's possible -- but I would be surprised. LeBron has a lot of friendships around the league, but when it comes down to his own decisions, he's generally been logical and disciplined.

To me, the Clippers scenario has too many catches all around. If Griffin isn't in the S&T, Miami would simply prefer the cap room. If he is in the S&T, I don't see LAC as his best option anymore.

7. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

If that's the case, offer up Harden and T Jones for LeBron. Get rid of Lin and Asik to get Melo. :grin:

8. ansfjs73

ansfjs73 Member

lol............

9. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

We need to get tmac on it. This was back in 2005 in League City at Big League Dreams at tmacs celebrity game.

[​IMG]

10. Pokemon

Pokemon Member

HAHAHAHA PIPE DREAMS

11. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

I don't believe this option is in Pat Riley's book... if he trades Lebron.. and IF he trades him to the Clippers... he will want Griffin, Reddick, etc at the very least.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Woj:

What has to happen [to return to Miami]?

1. LeBron needs a belief that Wade and Bosh still have a lot left in their tank

and

2. Riley can put a supporting cast around this team that can help them compete with the Spurs and maybe teams in the East. Their bench was exposed.

Chances the big three does not return?

All my sources tell me it'll be all or nothing. Wade and Bosh I believe will follow the lead of LeBron. They all have to opt out and sign at a lower number. LeBron has to be willing to do that and I believe the other two will follow along if he does.

Carmelo will look hard at Chicago and Houston. Sources tell me both are working on contingencies to sign Anthony. They need to get players off their rosters. My sources tell me Houston and Chicago feel like they're competing with each other rather than with New York.

Kevin Love moved by the draft?

More and more Minnesota seems less and less likely. Another deadline where deals are possible is when the moratorium ends. That may be a new time period for Minnesota to do a deal. Flip Saunders has made clear they can be a contender in the West and is confident if he gets in the playoffs, he may be able to convince Love to stay. Flip also knows he can trade Love at the deadline and get similar deals.

Meanwhile, [a comedic] 20 reasons LeBron should join the Rockets

13. downbytheriver

Yup.
    Dallas and SA are more likely to land LeBron.
    I'm happy w/ Rondo/lowry and a defensive wing.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Emotions &amp; trust are key factors in LeBron saga. Don't believe for 1 sec CP3 and/or Melo can't tug on LeBron same way Wade did in 2010.</p>&mdash; Michael Wallace (@WallaceNBA_ESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/WallaceNBA_ESPN/statuses/481572069973692416">June 24, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>As I tweeted earlier, flexibility or flee-ability? This isn't all on Riley. His hands are tied unless LeBron, Wade &amp; Bosh all on same page</p>&mdash; Michael Wallace (@WallaceNBA_ESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/WallaceNBA_ESPN/statuses/481572849912922113">June 24, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Question is this: Do you trust LeBron to go through free agency again? Riley was strong in that presser, but also edgy &amp; a bit uncertain.</p>&mdash; Michael Wallace (@WallaceNBA_ESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/WallaceNBA_ESPN/statuses/481573684835258368">June 24, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I think LeBron stays. But he gave Clips a meet 4yrs ago when they didn't have a damn thing going. Now subtract Sterling &amp; add Doc + CP3.</p>&mdash; Michael Wallace (@WallaceNBA_ESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/WallaceNBA_ESPN/statuses/481575015885070336">June 24, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>How confident are you if Doc, CP3 and Blake get LeBron in a room and make a pitch, if he's willing to listen? Free agency is tricky.</p>&mdash; Michael Wallace (@WallaceNBA_ESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/WallaceNBA_ESPN/statuses/481575710386294784">June 24, 2014</a></blockquote>

#334 J.R., Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  15. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

This is pretty much it. Bron is a smart dude. Actually a lot of people underestimate his intelligence. He will look at the whole situation and come to an easy conclusion. He can get the best money with the best team in Houston. The city is large, less intrusive than some other cities and exposure to the Asian market would double.

16. NateNate

NateNate Member

I really don't wanna see this guy with the Clippers and Chris Paul. I already can't stand Chris Paul as is..

17. TheresTheDagger

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Vegas puts the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rockets?src=hash">#Rockets</a> odds at 10/1 (6% chance) to land LeBron. Heat heavy faves at -600 (61% chance). <a href="http://t.co/89wjfFuOGb">http://t.co/89wjfFuOGb</a></p>&mdash; AdamWexlerCSN (@awexler) <a href="https://twitter.com/awexler/statuses/481576723558195200">June 24, 2014</a></blockquote>

18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

From LeBron's point of view:

Houston has two superstars who know what it's like to lose in the Finals, so they are going to be hungry. Bosh and Wade just don't have that hunger any more. If you're not first, you're last. Houston can make room for me and the money is alright. Chicago looks good, but the health of Rose is unlikely to ever be something I can rely on. Houston beat San Antonio 4 times this year without me. I'd love to play with Carmelo but we are the same player. I'd love to play with CP3, but their PF is soft in the playoffs. No one has enough money to pair me up with Kevin Love. Joakim Noah is a baller, but are the two of us enough to carry the Bulls past the Spurs? I hate that the Rockets are in the West, but it's my best option at this point. I gotta win to be considered the greatest ever. Looks like I'm going to...

...if they'll take me.

19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

We just need Morey to load our 4 regular season games against the Spurs onto the ipad, take it to Lebron, and change the welcome screen to '4-0' - then have a picture of Harden with the label 'Spurs killer'

That ought to get him here.

20. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Nothing is equal to LeBron, but outside of Durant or Unibrow, Blake is probably the best return Miami could get.