1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Report: Rockets to make 'all-out push' for LeBron James

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Smook, Jun 20, 2014.

1. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

I think you're being overly critical. He can opt out of his contract and still stay in Miami by signing a new one with them.

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

THANK you.

The dude just quit on us. By the time we were on the ropes in Game 6 he decided to play; but by then it was just....too....late.

And when someone posted how Harden told Parsons (was it on a Twitter account?) he's "an important part of what we're trying to do here", well, James, what are WE trying to do here?

Because, as far as I can see, James Harden, who didn't even help recruit Dwight nor show up at his "welcome-to-Houston damn-it's-hot-out-here", you couldn't spell "we" if you were spotted the "W...E".

It's kinda like Steve Francis (in a way). Watching that Yao movie and Steve explaining to Yao, "That's what we do here. We run. Just run."

JVG was a better coach than McHale, but you get some of these same issues between coach and star guard: "We have a great center, we need to go through him." But Steve/James just hear a Miss Othmar-like sound, like someone speaking from underwater: "Wah wah wah, wah wah wah wah..."

3. Texanswin2013

Texanswin2013 Member

Why do fans think like idiots when it comes down to st stuff like this? He quit when he was playing bad, but when he got out of his slump all of a sudden didn't? Sometimes shots don't fall. The guy put up 35 shots in one of the games, if anything he was trying TOO MUCH and was forcing things.

You people never cease to amaze me.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Miami has won the finals 2 out of the last 4 years, including the title before this year against San Antonio with basically the same roster.

I think Houston is a better team than Miami (Lebron on the rosters), but the idea that Lebron has to leave Miami if he hopes to win a title is being overplayed.

5. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

they had 1 championship where they actually showed they deserve to win. the last one, I think most still have it in their mind, Allen bailed them out and Spurs should have won. Anywho this finals was really telling on the status of that team. I have to say Lebron staying is still the most likely but I'm sure there is doubt creeping in his mind.

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

James Harden went to the Dwight Howard free agency meeting. What more do you want from him recruiting wise?

7. jbasket

jbasket Member

You are 100% correct. I am surprised nobody has brought that up consistently alongside his lack of defence.

He did dump it down sometimes, then was 35 ft away from the basket (aka irrelevant). You are supposed to dump it down then cut through to the weak-side. Chandler Parsons did this a lot, and you can see it on his dunk highlights.

Egotistical. Disgraceful. But great way of putting it.

A lot of superstars do that. I remember hearing Kenny stating how he and Hakeem would deviate from the gameplan. However, Coaches allow for some leeway, especially if you "make it up on the other end", something, well, nobody has done or currently does as well as Hakeem.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Well this thread went full r****d quickly.

9. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Yes, and you're being deliberately obtuse if you don't recognize how Dwyane Wade's decline makes the current Miami roster in much worse shape than the 2011-12 and 2012-13 ones, even if it's the same "name" players.

Now, can Miami make improvements to their roster? Sure, and it's a legitimate pitch for LeBron to consider. I won't blame him if he puts his faith in Pat Riley. Personally, I expect him to stay. I'm just sick of the nonsensical logic of "go East and have a free path to the Finals!", as if that alone means anything. Priority 1 is to actually put a team around you that is capable of being elite enough to beat a team like San Antonio in a seven-game series. Maybe he thinks Miami can rebuild its roster to do that, and if he does, that's fine. I'm just sick and tired of the "go to East no matter what, just because" logic.

10. Texanswin2013

Texanswin2013 Member

Can anybody tell me what anybody else did when the ball was dumped down to Dwight?.literally everybody was watching.

The amount of senseless drivel that permeates on this ****ing website.

11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The way I see it, Harden thought they could win the Blazer series with him playing the game the way he likes to play it. Porous defense. Putting all his energy into the parts of the game he likes best. That would have been fine actually if we had gotten out of that series. But your right, he saw them potentially losing the series too late.

Now, I don't think many would argue Harden doesn't want to win. And certainly, Harden must see doing everything the same as last year will yield the same result. Dwight seems to be re-upping his commitment. Not to be outdone by a co-teammate, he may as well. Not a given, but maybe.

For Harden, its gut check time. We wont know for certain what his gut is telling him till the season starts. But most agree also that Harden wants to be a hero. If he doesn't put effort in doing what he must, he may be seen as a impediment, rather than a hero. And that perception would undo everything he stands for and prides himself to be.

12. justtxyank

Who said anything about Wade not being in decline? I said Miami beat San Antonio when San Antonio had basically the same roster just the year before.

Of course Miami is a worse position, but there's no reason to think they CAN'T win another title with good moves.

If Lebron is making a choice to win titles, you are being a homer (which you are known to be) if you think the fact that Houston hasn't been relevant in 20 years in terms of a title chase won't factor in.

We brought in Dwight and the talk was finally we are a contender. We got bounced in the 1st round by a team that San Antonio ran off the court.

Do I think we are a title contender with Lebron? Sure I do. Do I think Rox+Lebron is better than Miami+Lebron. I do.

But I also think there's a big bridge to cross when selling Houston as a title team to a player coming off 4 straight finals appearances and two titles.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Who though we we contenders with Dwight here? No one. No even Morey. He flat out said we were another piece away.

Was Miami title town before Lebron got there? 1 single title 6 years before? Nice try distroy ing your own argument because Les has tried to field contenders while Miami has not .

14. justtxyank

He went to Miami with 2 players he was comfortable with that was orchestrated specifically to win titles. Now he is thinking about leaving that team he put together to go another one. Dwight and Harden are not his boys that he's been planning to team up with for over a year.

It's a new situation. You don't think seeing us get bounced hurts our argument?

If Houston is a superstar away from competing for a title and the Heat are a role player away from a title, then the Heat are closer to a title.

15. Pokemon

Pokemon Member

well same old same old

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

^"Senseless drivel", including your own post. Thank you for playing. We have some nice parting gifts for you, including a lifetime supply of Jiffy Time popcorn.

The ball-watching was especially true in the game after Dwight worked out with Hakeem. He just went hog-wild. And everyone stood there and stared.

It simply underscores that this really isn't a team yet. You can't get these guys going at the same time.

And Harden, when he doesn't have the ball, on offense or defense? Just. Stands. There.

Maybe he isn't alone in this, but he's the biggest (and best-paid) culprit on the team.

Speaking of idiots.

Quit.

Defending.

Him.

"Sometimes shots don't fall."

Rather,

"Sometimes shots don't fall, and Harden just quits."

Add this:

"Sometimes the other coaching staff elects to take it straight at Harden from the tipoff. He feels put-upon on the defensive side, where he gives minimal effort at best. THEN he quits."

Oh! and this,

"Often Harden gives the swinging-gate, matador arm-wave at the player who just went around him with a MEEP! MEEP! and gives a bad-body language shrug-pout at Dwight as if to say, 'Come on, man, I don't play D, you're supposed to show on my blown defensive assignment so that YOUR defensive assignment, the deadleg second-tier talent Robin Lopez, can get an easy pass and dunk. Again. And again. And again. Oh, wait, you got five fouls and gotta sit? Damn. Guess I get to do this MY OWN WAY.'"

#96 ROXTXIA, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  17. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

And you're arguing just to argue, troll and/or whine (all of which you are known to do) if you think the lack of success by the Rockets in the Kenny Thomas/Mo Taylor/Kelvin Cato era (under Carroll Dawson) has anything to do with the perception of Houston as a title contender in 2014-15 or not.

The Clippers are arguably the worst organization in sports, historically, and that didn't stop Chris Paul and Doc Rivers (guys with tons of options) from committing their futures there less than a year ago. Even with a horrible owner! And the biggest "accomplishment" they had was beating Memphis in Game 7 of Round 1, then being promptly obliterated by the Spurs in Round 2.

You could put Harden and Dwight on the Charlotte Bobcats, and they'd have appeal as a title contender, should LeBron join. It's a star-driven league, and the selling point of Dwight/Harden as superior to Bosh/Wade is a legitimate and obvious one (as well as Parsons/Beverley/Jones vs. Chalmers/Cole/Lewis) -- no matter what the jersey says on the front.

18. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

I think Lebron will opt out and play this up to force the Arisons to commit to going over the luxury tax for role player help, then opt in (along with Wade and Bosh) for 1 more year to see how Wade does after another year. That is the overwhelming choice.

However, if Wade and Bosh both opt in for the final 2 years, Lebron has a hard decision because the Heat will be carrying potential $20M of dead money with the way Wade is going. That makes it difficult to compete when he could go to a team with two in their prime superstars (Rockets with Harden and Howard) or somehow even a team like the clippers (Griffin and Paul). Heat are definitely closer to a title, but if Wade falls apart and has opted in, then the Heat will be like the Cavs of old.

19. justtxyank

Am I known to troll or whine????

Why, because I've argued with you on some of your Texas takes?

If you think I'm a troll or a whiner, please, feel free to put my on ignore and we can ignore each other going forward. I don't waste my time with trolls and if you think I'm one, you shouldn't waste your time with me.

To the rest of your argument, I've never said Lebron wouldn't come here. Never. I even put odds on it and nailed it to what Bovada released the next day. I definitely think there's a chance he would come here. All I've disputed is the narrative that if Lebron wants to win titles he has no choice but to dump Miami and join Houston. That is just silly.

Also, in the very posts you've quoted I said Houston with Lebron is better than Miami with Lebron, so you pointing out to me that what I said is true isn't breaking new ground.

20. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Let's get 1 thing straight, Harden will not be a Rocket if either LBJ or Melo are acquired. James would b!tch slap Harden for his lackadaisical efforts on most nights....