1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Thunder are trying to stay alive in Dallas -- it's Game 6. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Amick: Rockets have moves to trade Lin and Asik

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 20, 2014.

1. pcheung08

pcheung08 Member

Sorry to say no.2 would be completely wrong.

2. treeman

treeman Member

Maybe my thinking is off here, but this sounds like it's targeted mainly at Melo and NYK. Putting this out tells Melo that we can and will make the necessary moves to sign him outright if necessary, but that if Phil is willing to play ball then Melo can tell him to do S&T instead, allowing us to stay over cap, resign Parsons, and get full MLE - and the Knicks to get something valuable in return. It targets the Knicks because it tells them that they're losing Melo either way, and they can come to the table to get something out of it or just lose out completely. Putting this out gives them incentive to talk to us and arrange a deal - best for all parties involved, really.

Maybe I'm off, but that's how I see this.

3. hooroo

hooroo Member

The Rockets can do that privately either through in-betweeners or Morey to Melo's agent.

Going public using Dan Fegan's mouthpiece becomes clearer with Codman's info, ie Lin is hard to move. They're advertising they're open to work trades.

If Morey had a deal in place or at least one he liked. Wouldn't it more likely be all hush-hush?

1 person likes this.
  4. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I'm hoping the Rockets make these moves sooner rather than later. TBH it's probably best for them to wait but I'm anxious! lol

5. Solaris

Solaris Member

Yep, i was saying I agree with you ;)

6. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Wouldn't worry about that. Lin is what he is. A mediocre player who can give you some scoring as a 6th man

7. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Dragic kinda stings, but other than that I don't think twice about any one else. Lowry was traded and was a part of why we got Harden, so I'm surely not losing sleep over that and Dragic while he had a great season failed to make the playoffs. Same scenario, maybe not quite to the extent of Dragic, is surely possible with Lin. If someone gives him the reigns and the minutes he's going to look better than he did here, but that team whichever one it may be is going to be worse than the Rockets so who really cares.

8. rocketseagles07

Even if Lin does become that player he doesn't fit ON THIS TEAM. You make Lin the primary ball handler and put him next to a wing who's a good defender and he looks different. Regardless of what happens with Lin he doesn't fit here. So his success elsewhere won't matter as much as dragic because Goran would've been a perfect fit.....

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Phil Jackson is manipulating the media and leaking out bull**** to destroy Chicago and Houston's chances of acquiring Melo and/or trying to create leverage where he has none.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It would probably work better if anyone at all believed it.

11. valorita

valorita Member

Ofcourse the Rockets have moves to trade Asik and Lin.
    No contract/player in the NBA is untradeable.

Finding a team for Asik is simple enough. His 8 mil cap hold for $15 million actual salary is not that bad if you consider him a 10-11 million / year player. Which means that you will have 3 million in cap space to sign another free agent that you wouldn't have had. It benefits win now teams, which would make sense for any team that is willing to acquire Asik anyways.

People think Lin is more difficult to move. While that may be true, it isn't as hard as you think. Lin's on court production can range from 5-12 million per year in my opinion. For owners who are worried about paying him 15$ mil, that is silly because if he goes to any major Asian market team, his appeal value will pay that in itself, and might actually make profit for teams like LA, GSW, TOR, NYK, etc. Also, we can add cash and picks. 3 mil + the other team can pay for 1st or 2nd rounders. I know that we have paid 3 mil for high second round picks.

So, I ask why this is breaking news.
    What is more significant about Amick reporting this is that Rockets are conveying this message to Lebron and Melo's agents to let them know that cap space is a formality.

12. cyberx

cyberx Member

I have tried and tried guys - can't find out what teams Morey has lined up to take omer and Lin... Someone told me it could be
    Morey leaking this for tactical
    Reasons to up the demand!

13. rabblerabble

rabblerabble Member

Purely a guess here, but if Omer goes players see Houston as having gotten the superior player so can't fault management for how the contract finished. If Lin goes they would want a similar situation. Deciding Bev is the better pg is 1 thing, but he's not a 40 minute a night player like a Rondo or CP3 would be. So if free agents are looking at teams, having a player being traded away from his position by committee role just to have a worse committee taking those minutes is a bad look for the organization. You don't want players thinking that if they sign on for a role, have that role changed and handle that correctly (i.e. don't be Omer) that they'll still be shipped out just to save $, especially if they're going to be all Sarverian about it and ship out assets to do it.

14. jacoby

jacoby Member

Hear anything on Morey's plan for July 1st?

15. cyberx

cyberx Member

Will pitch to Lebron, if he says no, then to Melo, once verbal done, he will trade the guys. May have to sign and trade parsons as last resort.

1 person likes this.
  16. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Morey is willing to do anything... I like that.

17. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

This is big, if Morey is truly pitching to LeBron first, we may spurn Melo indirectly

Ricky Bobby's dad, indeed

18. Play07

Play07 Member

http://www.csnchicago.com/bulls/bulls-middle-carmelo-rumors-nothing-has-changed

"Yes, the All-Star does want his full maximum contract, according to multiple sources, Anthony has indeed started to let it be known that the Knicks might want to consider a sign-and-trade scenario with the Bulls, a person familiar with the situation confirmed, but he isn’t fixated on coming to Chicago as his only option."

19. Texanswin2013

Texanswin2013 Member

? ? ?

20. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Not if Chicago and all the other teams going after him pitch to Lebron first too.