1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could Houston be Lebron's top preference in FA?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sydeffect, Jun 15, 2014.

?

Can Houston become Lebron's top preference in FA?

1. Yes

238 vote(s)
    48.7%
  2. No

251 vote(s)
    51.3%
  1. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

good post
    LeBron and Howard "might not fit"
    why they said that.

I read the same.
    some media doesnt like Lebron or Melo to Houston

2. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

I'm pretty sure he's big on player rights and there were "reports" that he would lead a player boycott if Sterling was still the owner of the Clippers. Asking the Rockets players to not comment probably was a mistake.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, that's what is important to him. Being on a team that is free to get wrapped up in league drama is much more important than winning.

4. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

It's well known, especially around these parts, that the majority of national media dislike the Rockets. Hell they ALL hate Dwight Howard yet still gave us 0% chance of signing him.

It makes too much sense for any of these stars to join up with Harden and Dwight yet will give a million reasons why they won't. We just aren't as appealing to ESPN as Boston, NY, LA, or even Dallas etc.

F**k em.

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

The Rockets need to move a player who's considered a backup PG getting paid max dollar figures next season. Can't blame 'em for having doubts.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah you can, he only has an 8 million dollar cap hit and he's a walking hype machine. If you are the Knicks, why wouldn't you do that once Melo walks on them? Only cheapskate organizations like the Thunder would care that he technically would be making 15 mil.

7. djperm

djperm Contributing Member

Are we dreaming ;)

8. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Eh, I am not buying it until I see a gif of Morey dancing with one or all of these potential free agents.

9. finsraider

finsraider Member

How does an elite passing stretch-4 not fit with Dwight???

This is starting to remind me of Dwight's free agency last year. The media started throwing out crazy statements when it became clear we were the best option.

He can't go to Chicago (Jordan). He can't go to the clippers (Riley won't do a SnT). He can't stay on the Heat if Bosh/Wade don't take a paycut. No way he willingly subjects himself to Cleveland again.

So who is left? How about a team with the best center in basketball, a 1st team all-NBA shooting guard in his mid-20s, a young defensive 2nd team PG, a mid-20s top 10 SF, and a slew of other assets including picks, euro-stashes, etc.?

10. filamswag

filamswag Rookie

^^^^ this = this thread

11. sammo

sammo Member

conversely, dont you think lebron moving out of miami will also fuel the mj fans, who will always use the fact that lebron had to swith teams twice just to match up to mj? he will never be in the conversation for GOAT no matter what number he produces imo.

i have a huge kobe bias during his prime time, so im not even going to entertain that conversation :)

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nothing groundbreaking but more Mannix:

All three come back?

There will be some flirtation. Lakers will make a strong pitch. We haven't heard the last from Cleveland. Cleveland, a week before the draft, if they can get Minnesota interested in a Kevin Love deal, that would be their carrot (to dangle in front of LeBron). LeBron isn't going back to a young team full of (kids). That's a wildcard. Outside of that, I see all these guys returning. I would expect them, barring that Cleveland move, to come back.

Why would he leave South Beach? To leave Miami and talk about Cleveland/LA, it would have to be a ready made team. How much is Miami handcuffed if all three come back?

It's pretty tough. They are in that repeater tax territory. Micky Arison is committed to winning, has gone into the tax but who knows how far he'll go. It will be tough to flesh out that roster. They'll have to hit a home run with their draft pick. San Antonio is a prime example of that.

13. Rocketfanatic2

Too early to say, but one thing is for sure. If we shed Lin and Asik, things are going to start getting very interesting to say the least.

14. deshen

deshen Member

No, he will not come.

15. Texanswin2013

Texanswin2013 Member

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Texanswin2013

Texanswin2013 Member

Definitely. Lin would be harder to move because while he's not bad at all, he's a combo guard in the NBA. Just too easy to nab. Jones/A pick and some euro would be more than enough though. If we're basically committing trade suicide to make room that is.

17. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Would bron be motivated by being the first (or one of a very few) players to win multiple rings in both the east and west conferences? I say yes.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/writer...landscape-has-changed-for-lebron-and-the-heat

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Of all the guys in the league Harden & Howard would sacrifice the spotlight for, I'd have to think that Lebron is one of maybe 2 players in the league.

FYI... I dont think Lebron would leave Miami, but if he was going to Houston IMO is the best spot for him.

Harden would be great for Lebron. Lebron hasn't ever had that kind of Lead Guard to play off of ever in his career, and Harden really needs someone to play off of on the perimeter. I think Durant is the ideal perimeter match for Harden since his game is much more catch and shoot instead of Iso, but I guess beggars can't be choosers.

The Lebron/Howard pick and roll would be a nightmare for other teams especially having the threat of Harden off the ball.

I dont know why Berger thinks (or more importantly why he's being told) that Lebron wouldn't be a great fit next to Howard & Harden. The biggest drawback I can see is backlash in the media & fans with the narrative that Lebron is chasing rings and can't win it on his own which is sort of ridiculous. I can't really see Harden or Howard really getting all worked up about Lebron taking the spotlight. Lebron is seen around the league as a guy people respect and want to play with. He's also about as selfless on the court as you would want a star to be. Lebron would absolutely be pass first on this team and probably embrace the role.

Either way though, I think the most likely scenario is that Bosh actually is the one who either opts out to sign long term elsewhere, or gets told he will be traded if he opts in. I think Pat Riley will sit him down and pretty much tell him that they have to rebuild and if he opts in, they will trade him to help rebuild. If he opts out, they can work with him to get a S&T done.

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Never gave it much thought, but if Lebron is fed up with having to carry Miami, Houston has to be in the top 2 or so of most appealing landing spots.

Not sure what this "complement Howard" nonsense is. Pretty much every non center in the league compliments Howard, because Howard is just a beast.