1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Spurs last year of contention

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by daywalker02, Jan 8, 2012.

?

What are the Spurs this year?

1. Contending team

44.9%
  2. Top 5 in the West

37.9%
  3. 6-8 seed

17.2%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

brother, i know the feeling. the rockets have gone through

steve francis, yao ming, tracy mcgrady, now james harden/ dwight howard eras

since Tim Duncan . crazy.

2. torocan

torocan Member

It makes me weep to think how many great players the NBA has lost because there aren't more coaches as conscientious of their players' minutes and health as Pops.

Think of how different history would be if we had just 2 more years of elite Yao, Tmac, etc? How many more great players would still be suited up and playing today instead of leaving us with so many "what if's" and "could have been's"?

38 years old, and could conceivably still be playing in 2 or 3 years at a high level and competing for championships. It boggles the mind...

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

4. torocan

torocan Member

In today's practice press conference, Pops said he'd like to keep coaching. Parker said that he'd like to keep it going longer if they can.

And Tim Duncan said that he'll stop playing when he feels like he stops being effective. He still feels effective. And Tim Duncan also said that with the new and young talent that the Spurs FO has brought in and developed, that he thinks he might be able to keep playing as long as he wants to keep playing.

In other words, don't count on Pops and Co. going anywhere soon... definitely not at the end of this year. And I wouldn't be shocked if we're looking at Pops and Co. terrorizing the West for 2-4 more years.

Given their performance this year and the depth of their roster, it's hard to NOT see the Spurs as a legit contender next year. Maybe even for several more years.

Man, being in the West is ROUGH....

5. tinman

Supporting Member

what ifs are for tmac fans.

The Spurs get Tim Duncan, Ginobli and Parker. All of them are non controversial, extremely coachable, and have no conflicts with the organizational. Also they are very low profile people, with the mild exception of Parker dating Eva Longoria. They were 'boring' personalities in the NBA sense.

The Rockets get Tmac. Notorious for exact opposite of everything the Spurs best players represent. The Rockets get Yao with the burden of him playing every year for China.

On top of that the players the Rockets get have loco fans. I know a few people who like Ginobli cause he's from Argentina, but they aren't mindless borg like Yao Only fans.

But here lies the irony, these TMac/Yao fans want them to have all the glory and love them to have huge MJ like games. That formula failed, JVG tried it put all your eggs in two superstars. That never works, unless your superstars ARE MUCH BETTER like an MJ/Pippen , Kobe/Shaq etc.

The team concept of the Spurs was EMBRACED by the Spurs big three.

It's the harmony of the players and coaches and organization and fans is why San Antonio is better than the Rockets.

Plus while having a dump of a stadium, they haven't changed their uniforms. Les Alexander would have changed it to a Taco Cabana looking uniform with a flying armadillo.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I still prefer a first round exit Rockets over these Spurs.

You can go to Spurstalk if you want.

7. Raven

Raven Member

And both Duncan and Parker accepted less money. Don't forget about that. Look at their payroll. It's amazing.

8. VBG

VBG Member

There was so much Spurs blowing it up talk after the 2011 playoffs. Absolutely incredible to see what they've done since then.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

You prefer all McGrady first round exits
    you made this thread based off jealousy and whack logic

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

jealous of what? shet?

I don't mind losing in the first round, you have a problem.

Losing in the first round with players you are familiar, you watched grow up as players is more interesting than nostalgia, and your secret crush on the Spurs

They might be successful but they are something else. Another entity and another formula.

Lol ..... one thing for sure Spurs fans have more respect for their explayers(McGrady) than some fans like you.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Die hard Rocket supporters in the NBA have no room in their hearts for Spurs game how marvelous it maybe.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

You're the one making stupid spurs threads
    And you were rooting for them to win so your favorite diva will get a ring on her finger last year

TOF it must suck

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

lol check the date, you madmac. You bumped a healthy thread that died down two years ago.

Nobody asked you to.

You can't let go of personal stuff, old man.

A normal mind would realize that the Heat has deteriorated, dropped off productionwise.

That is a big reason Spurs had it easy this year. Heat collapsed.

Less wins in regular season, Lebron falling behind Durant in MVP category.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Rooted for Lebron last year, not really rooted but let's say I favored them.

You are delusional because some other fans rallied behind Tmac. Blind hate. Big mistake.
    But I guess you are not good at admitting mistakes.

15. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

The poster (above) called it.

16. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Every year I think they are too old and every year they prove me wrong. Odd that Miami was older than the Spurs. I think that this goes to show you a weak link in the big3 and vets model. You have a very small window.

17. rocketsmetalspd

I hate the Spurs but you have to give up to a team that has had best record winning wise ever since they luck out in getting Tim Duncan. Here is till next season once again for the Rockets. I am hoping they can get the Chip next season. Will but up with another year down here in RGV with the Spurs fans. GO ROCKETS!!

18. sew

sew Member

false.

19. DocRock

DocRock Member

I feel like Brent Barry might disagree with you...

20. tinman

Supporting Member

I think they maybe contenders this year.