1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Melo Intends to opt out

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SC1211, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And w/Beverly, a KEY piece sick/hurt.......with nothing behind him. Folks got caught up in the playoffs (which is understandable) and didn't keep things in perspective. Our true window starts after this offseason. We've been a work in progress.

And BTW....I, too would rather us have our own identity without LBJ. If he's there, beating him...but doing it as the Houston Rockets ...not LeBron's team. I'm not taking anything away from him. The guy is out of this world...It's just....We can win titles without him.

2. YourSecretLover

work your magic jeremy lin. convince melo to come here

3. treyk3

treyk3 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sources: Knicks planning to send high-level delegation to meet with Carmelo Anthony over weekend in Los Angeles. <a href="http://t.co/8JNG9wMN3n">http://t.co/8JNG9wMN3n</a></p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/statuses/477522129810755586">June 13, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Portland is a mediocre team and so are we. That's the problem. We're good, but not a clear choice to go to for winning, especially in the West. Melo can come here and the Thunder or Clippers still might be favored. We just don't have a history of overacheiving.

5. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What would Melo's starting salary be if he were to sign a max contract with another team this offseason? I assume it wouldn't be $23.3m.

6. bmd

bmd Member

It's happening.

[​IMG]

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I tried to do the math, so somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but if we were to release and trade everybody except Howard, Harden, Beverley, Canaan, Daniels. Have Parsons 1.7 million cap hold, have the 7 open roster spots cap hold, 3.5 million. We would roughly have between 43-44 million in cap space locked up, meaning we could only offer Melo a 19 or 20 million a year contract, about roughly 10 to 13 million dollars less then the max we could offer him over 4 years.

Is all that correct, Bima? Knowledgeable members?

8. Goat Herders

Goat Herders Member

It's about 22.4, basically the same starting salary as if he resigns with the Knicks. But it accelerates faster in NY and can include a 5th year.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Woops, I mean 12-16 million less.

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

96 divided by 4 = 24 million

Is this correct?

11. Goat Herders

Goat Herders Member

His eligible starting salary is 105% of this years salary. That's 22.4 million. He can sign with the Knicks and get annual 7.5% raises for 5 years OR he can sign somewhere else and get 4.5% raises for 4 years. The MAX he can get from NY is 5/130 while another team can offer 4/95.

1 person likes this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Ok wait, that's just starting salary, it has a 15% or something increase every year. I forgot that the contracts aren't flat.

So 22.4, alright.

13. Goat Herders

Goat Herders Member

See right above.

14. djperm

djperm Contributing Member

helo melo

im watching u 2 lebonbon :cool:

15. basketballholic

Yes, based on the cap going up to $63.2 million.

16. PatBeverleyFan

[​IMG]

Don't mind the number on Beverley's jersey :( and Dmo was just random :confused:

17. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The max salary that Carmelo can sign for with any team (including the Knicks, if he opts out of his current deal) is $22,458,402.

Also, Chandler Parsons's cap hold will most likely be $2,875,130. The ~$1.76M figure is if they allow him to become an unrestricted free agent.

18. jae713

jae713 Member

Wow...just wow at some posters not wanting Lebron or Melo.

19. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I actually agree. I don't want someone of Lebron's character to surpass Dream's legacy here...Dwight and Harden are fine with me, and though I'm not a huge fan of Melo, at least the three of them would be uniting to achieve something they've never achieved themselves: a championship. Lebron has his winning roots in Miami, so he's more of a "Johnny come lately" in my eyes. It may seem foolish, but it's just how I feel.

20. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

I think the Rose injuries really have to weigh big on Melo. He already went through this with Amare. Otherwise, I would think Chicago would be #1 on the list.

Would Chicago trade Rose for Melo and then sign Love? Assuming Melo forces the Knicks. It would be nice to see a offensive juggernaut with no defense anchored by a great center. Oh wait, I just described the Rockets.