1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can anybody link me to the articles of James Harden saying....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Texanswin2013, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Hmm

Hmm Member

If the argument (comparison) were skill based, but it's not... it's effort based... where it is very much valid and relevant.... Talent can't be merely mustered.... effort can... If it's not there, it's entirely on the player...

A lot of fans here (like ones that'll counter-argue that Jordan may've been NBA all defensive player multiple times, but he didn't deserve SOME of them) are content to say "Oh, well that's a lot of work for one guy. Harden just doesn't have the conditioning (not like that's something one can easily work on to improve) so let's scrap the idea of having him improve defensively, keep him happy offensively, and hire someone to mask his deficiencies."

It's the same kind of short-sightedness that has fans here being happy with positive short-term results, rather than looking at the long-term... Coddling Harden, and excusing his laziness isn't going to do this particular team any favors...

2. FadeAway_Dreams

Since we've bridged the gap from Harden's defense to the Jordan/Pippen situation to illustrate the idea of bringing in a defender to pick up the slack I wanted to add this article. It directly focuses on who guarded who when it comes to Jordan and Pippen. It also, in my opinion, goes to show that if Harden wants to improve on defense he just needs to work harder. Mentally, physically or both. First thing on defense is effort.

3. chandlerbang21

Add weight loss and cut back drinking. I saw him in galleria once and was surprised how out of shape he looked. Beer gut and all

4. TheJet

TheJet Member

Pics? Because we've all seen him in clothes that aren't exactly loose I don't recall ever seeing what I'd call a beer gut. He's not slim. His body type isn't slim. I'd describe him as a little more barrel torso type.

I get a kick out of these posts though. "He's out of shape/fat/beer gut". No way on earth could anyone log 37 minutes a night in the NBA and be out of shape. Not even ones who ignore defense.

Then again maybe "NBA shape" means 6'5 190lbs with the wind of a marathon runner. Compared to that Harden is out of shape. As is most of the NBA.

5. anchel

anchel Member

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/james-harden

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/James-Harden-1241/

STRENGHTS:

- Commitment to playing defense
    - Off-ball defense

6. CertifiedTroll

The problem is he goes into off season with this mentality. Temporarily plays more asserted defense at the beginning of the season. Then loses interest.

7. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Situational defense, Jordan deserved every single one of those awards. I agree, Harden plays lazy defense. Outside of Harden's crappy defense and even if he improves dramatically the Rockets still need high energy role players who defend well and can hit key shots.

8. anchel

anchel Member

Obviously the scout is wrong. You can see his terrible defensive habits already by then. I guess Arizona St. zone hided his defensive issues...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MROxfI9Vzh0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmk4I3WTDrc

You don't change those awful habits that easily...
    Now even if he wants to change he's gonna need the help of the envirnoment. Starting by all physical trainers, all the coaching staff pressuring him every day at every practice, and followed by new veteran teammates that he respects leading by example.

A head coach change would have helped no little.