1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you have any issues with Coach Pop's interview style?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by UtilityPlayer, May 31, 2014.

?

Issues with Pop's interaction with the media ?

1. Yes

38 vote(s)
    17.7%
  2. No

116 vote(s)
    54.0%
  3. Doesn't matter

43 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. I like beautiful San Antonio women

18 vote(s)
    8.4%
  1. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

They way he interacts with the media during the game and post game interviews. I had a debate with my friend that when you reach a level such as the postseason ( almost NBA Finals).The Coaches and players have to be more accommodating to the media questions. How do you feel?

2. Shaud

Shaud Member

I like it

3. Mr. Space City

naw, you can tell it's all in good fun and the media just laughs along with it.

4. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

He's earned it + the media should know better by now

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

He can straight up pull out a pistol and shoot people during the press conferences if it means he'd coach the Rockets. Why are we trying to demean Pop? We have the walking, talking piece of **** Kevin McHale straight up ruining our team.

6. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Not-tat-tall

7. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

I think it's corny and he tries way too hard

2 people like this.
  8. Smook

Smook Member

Its funny. I personally enjoy his interviews

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What a stupid question!

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Everyones seems to laugh and get a chuckle out of Pop's act. But it is way beyond stale. He owes it to the media and audience to fully participate. His act is lame. Be the professional you expect your team to be.

1 person likes this.
  11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I like McHale post interviews. I don't know what to do. Honestly we don't run any plays. It's not my fault. It's on me

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

It was funny at first but now just awkward because he has to keep up his persona. It actually seems like more work to keep up his schtick than it is to just act normally.

1 person likes this.
  13. solid

solid Contributing Member

Yes, it is an act and it is wearing thin.

1 person likes this.
  14. merrrlo

merrrlo Member

15. RYAN3053

RYAN3053 Member

If my coach stays that consistent and gets my team to the finals almost every few years and wins multiple championships, then he can act and say whatever he wants in interviews. Just give me them ships!

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>&quot;You guys ask the same dumb questions over &amp; over. Why would we divulge our game plan to the media?&quot; - Popovich today <a href="http://t.co/IRxYkVfWgv">pic.twitter.com/IRxYkVfWgv</a></p>&mdash; FOX Sports: Hoops (@HoopsonFOX) <a href="https://twitter.com/HoopsonFOX/statuses/472838368577859584">May 31, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

For the most part, I find Pop's interviews a refreshing change from the dull interviews that 99% of other coaches and players do. He is quite funny at times. It's nice to see someone who isn't afraid to show some personality and humor. ESPN, TNT and ABC probably love his interviews as they help increase the entertainment level of their broadcasts (especially considering that many people think the Spurs are boring...in which I disagree).

However, he is starting to overdo it a bit lately (trying too hard) and probably needs to tone it down a little. Humor is most effective when it feels effortless and natural. His recent interview with David Aldridge in Game 4 or 5 (can't remember which), while amusing, also came across as kinda awkward. I can see some reporters getting a bit irritated with him eventually because his unexpectedness makes their jobs a bit harder. Sometimes it's better to simply answer the questions and then go on about your business. Don't become a sideshow that overshadows the team.

It is possible to be personable and naturally humorous while being professional at the same time, although that can sometimes be a delicate balancing act. Popovich used to be pretty good at walking that line, but lately not so much. Being in umpteen playoff games and winning multiple championships doesn't give you carte blanche to act however the hell you want towards anybody. Show some empathy.

Assuming Pop doesn't retire after this season, I wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs owner and GM quietly sat Pop down and told him to chill a little bit on the snarky interview answers. They don't want to risk him going too far one day and the resulting bad PR for the organization.

18. i3artow i3aller

Feel bad your friend had to listen to such awful sports dialogue.
    Pop is the man, and you need to up your conversation game.

19. Panda23

Panda23 Member

youre friend sounds fun.