1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Most Overrated Player: Kenyon Martin

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Gutter Snipe, May 30, 2003.

1. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

i think alot of it has to do with the media trying to make the finals a super battle at pf when really i dont think most people expect it to be.

i wish jayson williams was still playing. i love the guy. hed knock em dead

2. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

People who say K-Mart is over rated don't know what they are talking about. They guy is a warrior and he never backs down from anyone. He has brokien his leg twice and he stills goes at it. He is a great talent and he will have a great finals. He is the type a PF I wish the Rockets had.

3. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Are you kidding? Are you really going to try to say that the East is close to being on par with West? Seriously?

There's not a team in the East that I would pick to be a clear favorite over any of the #1 - #9 teams in the West.(The Nets maybe...maybe have a clear advantage over the Suns/Jazz/Rockets)

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

He's a bruiser in the positive way. All in all, he's the type of PF the Rox need and..well ....the type of PF most teams need.

5. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

Lost to MIke Miller

6. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Nice assumption. Too bad it's wrong. The fact is that half of the people on this board probably think that Michael Finley is better than Paul Pierce just because he's in the west. It's quite ridiculous to think just because as a whole the east isn't good that the individual parts are all a piece of ****, and they can't compare to the west.

The NBA is in cycles...when the East is back on top you'll know.

Also--he "lost" to Mike Miller because he missed about 20 games. Don't try and bring the bias up to the point of lies.

7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'll agree on this....you can't argue that since he's playing in the east, his numbers are inflated....the improvement in his stats is due to one important factor..Jason Kidd. Without Kidd, KMart admitted, he wouldn't be the player is right now.

8. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

You can't compare Kenyon Martin to Tim Duncan. It's not even close.

But Martin is an above-average player and great defender. Why isn't that good enough?

I don't think Martin is telling everybody that he's the best player in the league or anything. He is what he is: a bruising PF/C type who plays really good defense and is solid around the rim.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I would hardly call Martin overrated, I rarely hear anything about him particularly since he settled down the flagrant fouling. I would call him underrated if anything especially with those playoff numbers. The test is coming though, we'll see how he does against the MVP.

10. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

This is true. TD is the best PF in the league, KM is a top 10 PF. JK is the best PG in the league, TP is a top 20 PG.

TD on offense will probably abuse KM because of his ht and lower body strength, but KM could have some mild success on offense because he is significantly quicker than TD. As Marbury showed, TP will get dominanted on both sides of the ball if left alone on an elite 1. Any success TP will have on Kidd will be in the open floor or because Kidd has to double someone else.

11. 101 6 7

101 6 7 Member

Of course his stats are inflated to this point in the playoffs - HE'S PLAYED NOTHING BUT EASTERN CONFERENCE TEAMS!! Orlando, Boston, Detroit - What kind of path to the finals is that? Why so much credibility given to a team that won all of 49 games? The Spurs record versus Eastern Conference playoff teams was 14-2!! Sure New Jersey has looked good, and K-Mart appears to be a world beater - but come watch my slow fat ass on Thursday night at St. Mary's - I'm pretty damn good by that standard.

12. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

The fact that Kenyon Martin is hyped to be one of the premiere forwards says so much about the NBA.
    ;)

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He's a hustle player.

Hustle players should not be mentioned in the same breath as Tim Duncan, who has an abundance of skill and talent.

When Kenyon gets some talent we can talk. Maybe when he can average 10 boards a game or shoot over 50% or develop some consistent post moves.

14. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

He was on his way to winning ROY before he re-broke his leg. Hard to win ROY with a broken leg. As for Kenyon Martin being overrated, that is idiotic. The guy is an important part of a 2-time conference championship team. I wish people would get off the kick of saying"you're in the Easter Conference that's why you're good". People said that for years about Elton Brand and his numbers went up when he went to the West. What's to say that Kenyon's wouldn't? In theory this is really the end of Kenyon's 2nd year in the league because his rookie year was ravaged because he was still recovering from a broken leg and then he re-broke. Now he is getting better and better. How can he be overrated when nobody is calling the guy a megastar. They think he can be a future superstar, and he is showing that he might be, but why just trash the guy for having a solid playoffs, but then turning around and saying it's only solid because he's in the East and that it sucks because Duncan's stats are better. Duncan is a two time MVP, a Final MVP and a 6 year player on a team that has made the playoffs every year he has been there, of course he should be better. And the one thing I also hate is when people say a player like Kenyon Martin is only good because of Jason Kidd. How do people know if that is true? Jason Kidd doesn't make Martin block shot, rebound or score around the basket. Kidd helps but he isn't the reason Martin is successful. Just give a player their due without trashing them as overrated.

15. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Also to add, Kenyon Martin absolutely destroyed Jermaine O'Neal in the playoffs last year. I don't think people would call O'Neal overrated.

16. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

No...Jermaine O'Neal is in the East. He surely sucks. :rolleyes:

17. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

i think martin is a good player, But i do not think he is one of the best 8 PF in the nba. So if people think he is 1 of the top 8 then i think he is overrated, but if people see him as a good player that [plays real hard and is hard nosed. then he is not overrated

18. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

This is why I say he's overrated. Since when is someone who is 6'9 and 235 pounds a bruising PF/C type? And where do you get the great defender part from?

Has he grown or does NBA.com have his bio stats wrong?

My definition of Kenyon Martin: a hustle player with a penchant for flagrant fouls. He is better than anything that the Rockets have at PF, but that's not saying much.

For the record, Kenny Thomas has better rebounding stats in the playoffs than Kenyon in 7 fewer games. For an even better comparison, when they both went up against a true bruising PF/C type in Ben Wallace, KT averaged 10.5 rpg vs KM's 8.3 rpg.

As far as him being a future superstar, come talk to me when he starts averaging a double double and stops fouling at the rate of 5 fouls a game.

By the way, I'll believe the great defender part when I see his coach match him straight up against Tim Duncan and have it work.

19. Dusty Bottoms

Dusty Bottoms Member

Kenyon's stats for the past year:
    16.7 ppg 8.3 rpg 47% fg 1.27 steals .91 bpg
    Mystery man's stats at same age:
    16.7 ppg 9.6 rpg 54% fg 1.0 steals .4 bpg

That mystery man was Otis Thorpe at age 26. Kenyon is not nearly the rebounder OT was and doesn't have nearly the field goal percentage but otherwise is almost as good as OT at the same age (not quite). Not only is he not in TD's league, he's not quite OT.

Now I was a big OT fan and hated when he was traded away but I assure you I never compared him to Barkley, Malone, etc. (the premier forwards of his time).