1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

20 Players with the Highest Catch and Shoot Effective Field Goal %

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RedEyesKirby, May 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

At least he is backing it up with numbers and facts. The numbers are clear. LOL !

2. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

Lin is smart to know low % ball is no match for a high % assist to an open teammate. He is the ultimate unselfish team player and won't patch his stat at the cost of the team like others.

3. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

Those who criticize Lin's hesitation or lack of confidence should focus why he is what he is. He wasn't afraid to shoot during Linsanity because he was the focal point of the attack and the Knicks coach gave him a long leash. With McHale's frequent benching of him at the slightest mistakes, and with his own humble personality, he will just likely defer to others when he knows missing a few shots will mean immediate benching. If McHale will do this to Parson, Bev or Harden, they probably will show similar hesitation or lack of confidence.

1 person likes this.
  4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Its time to wake up from the fantasy that missed shots are mistakes Lin is getting pulled for.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Jeremy Lin is getting pulled for being passive, not running the plays called, turning the ball over and not playing with any sense of consistency....

It is the reason that the Rockets will try hard to replace him with a more consistent player.

6. hollywoodMarine

Damn, didn't think it was that low. I'm confused though (and maybe I'm just brain farting here), I thought the Rockets make a significant amount of 3 point attempts per game. Doesn't that constitute a really big portion of catch and shoot? How could the former be so high and the latter be so low?

Thanks, I think that may be a good explanation. Wish there was a way to "measure" off-ball movement (I am not very good at the eye-test, more of a stats/numbers guy :p ).

7. TheJet

TheJet Member

You're right. He's been an overall average player for much, MUCH longer than he was a great player. And I'm not talking about potential or the flashes of something more. I'm talking about the average of his play the past two years.

And you left out a key factor in New York. He was playing for his life. His career. Possibly his last chance to stay in the league. And he knew he had zero to lose. No pressure. No expectations. The scenario is entirely different now, why are some people shocked the output isn't the same?

8. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Jason Terry is the GOAT when it comes to running around, catching the pass off the screen, and destroying the Rockets.

9. Play07

Play07 Member

-Friedman http://t.co/YPcPZcjZ2V

Lin’s biggest strides came as a shooter as he established career highs in both 3-point percentage (.358) and true shooting percentage (.572). In fact, the Ivy League product’s true shooting figure was 10th among all point guards this season, eclipsing the marks posted by All-Stars Damian Lillard and Kyrie Irving. Lin also ranked well above average as a catch-and-shoot threat, knocking down better than 40 percent of his catch-and-shoot opportunities from beyond the arc. And not only did Lin improve upon his 3-point accuracy for the fourth consecutive year, he did the same with regard to his finishing touch around the rim where he managed to knock down more than 62 percent of his shots taken from that area this season – this after connecting at a rate of 58.1 and 48.7 percent, respectively, during the prior two seasons.

-if it wasn't for the ballon payment & rockets getting away with only paying $10mill for 2 seasons of the $25mill 3yr contract, there would be no problem in moving LINs expiring contract plenty of teams would take him for $8mill on a expiring and get his bird rights.

10. langal

langal Contributing Member

I think it's turnovers that leads to his benching. I would hazard a wild guess here but Lin probably gets benched more for timidity.

He is not a proven star where he necessarily deserves a long leash. I do think McHale makes dumb decisions sometimes and there are a handful of times when I think he could have allowed Lin to stay on the floor more but I don't think Lin is unique in this regard in anyway. Asik might get worse treatment.

11. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Running distance, although i don't know if they have it split into distance ran on the offensive end (since chasing an opponent isn't exactly your off ball movement)

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

If you've watched the Rockets for more than the duration of Lin's career, you'd know the Rockets let EVERYONE shoot. They let Trevor Ariza shoot back when he couldn't throw the ball into the ocean. They let Lowry shoot back when he was known to be a horrible 3 point shooter. They let Parsons shoot as a rookie back when he couldn't do jack squat on offense.

Saying the Rockets would bench players for shooting too much is akin to saying Thibs would bench players for hustling too much for loose balls.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You would think that the Rockets' MO of rim-and-3 would give them lots of catch and shoot. You attack the basket. And if the rim crowded, you kick out to the 3pt shooters.

And since they are shooting quite well at catch and shoot, why don't they do more?

Maybe if Parsons didn't pump fake so much, he'd hit more catch and shoot. :grin:

14. hltiki

hltiki Member

so much this

15. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

We do shoot a ton of 3 point shots but a big portion of them don't fit the definition of "catch and shoot".

The NBA stats define "catch and shoot" as any jumpshot from more than 10ft out where the ball is shot within 2 seconds of gaining possession and no dribbles.

If you catch the ball, take one bounce for timing and then hit a 3 pointer that doesn't qualify as "catch and shoot".