1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you stop following the Rockets if they traded Lin?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Brando2101, May 11, 2014.

?

Would you stop following the Rockets if they traded Lin?

1. Yes

18.5%
  2. No

81.5%
  1. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Both are worse but hey that's a norm in the sports world today pimpn.

2. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

It is common consensus that Lin is a subpar ball handler and still make rookie mistakes, and yea he is way over paid for what he is being asked to do and his skill sets.

However, I am just interested why this play sticks to people's head. To me, this play sticks to my head just the same as every other mistakes this team committed.

Lin's TO stick to so many people's head because it confirms their perspective, that Lin is a TO machine, poor handler, overpaid scrub. Because after all that is the common consensus, and that critical mistake puts the nails in the coffin. It confirms that Lin was just hyped and letting him go in the first place was the right choice, that we should have kept Dragic who is being paid less and produce at a much higher level, that the annoyance of Lin fans can now rest in peace. It sticks to people's head because it feels damn good to be right.

3. SeabrookMiglla

Hell yeah id stop watching the rockets and id stop visiting tjis gosh dang message board$!!!!

4. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

The timing. I really think it's that simple.

5. Lando19

Lando19 Member

Every player that has been a Rocket has been more polarising than Lin. Lin's garbage, & if that's the only reason you watch Rockets games, you must LOVE extremely mediocre players

6. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Not just the timing but the consequences of Lin's poor decision as well. The majority of us consider that play solely responsible for forcing OT where we subsequently lost. All Lin had to do was hold on to the ball and call time out. Instead, he did what he did before, take off running with his teammates looking towards him in disbelief. It was literally a "WTF WERE YOU THINKING?!?" moment.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No Rocket fans were happy that Jeremy Lin cost us a playoff game.
    The entire series was close and we could not afford any costly mistakes, this cost us the lead with less 33 seconds in the game.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vh_wLpQjh6k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was at a sports bar with lots of Rockets fans for this game.
    Rockets fans of all races including Christian Taiwanese Rockets fans were pissed at Lin.

9. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

Pretty good play by Williams.

10. Houston22

Houston22 Member

I would be pissed, since it would mean loss of these wonderful threads..

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

It doesn't feel good to be right in these instances.

This doesn't help

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=8983330&postcount=715
    or the possibility Dragic and his player option right now could get that high pick needed for a Kevin Love trade.

:eek:

12. TheJet

TheJet Member

So much for my Keenum/Lin comparison, eh? :p

13. sleepyazn

sleepyazn Member

Shaky post season eh? You mean winning game 3 by saving Harden's ass? Or winning game 5?

Yeah the TO in game 4 was bad but there was 5 minutes of OT. Rockets couldn't close it out and Bev basically made the exact same TO in the last seconds.

14. TheJet

TheJet Member

This discussion has been beaten to death. You can't fairly reference his good plays and leave out all but one of the bad. If you remove the highs and lows he still had a below average series. As did any Rocket not named Dwight Howard.

15. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Rockets fans view Lin fans as ludicrous and desperate for posts like this. You are towing the party line of Chris Baldwin, Lin forums, etc. Your thoughts are neither original, insightful, or accurate.

16. jaedenky

jaedenky Member

Actually people are very irrational when it comes to the need to be right and have their beliefs validated. These things work on a subconscious level and most people are usually not aware of it. If a person were to have a strong belief that Jeremy Lin is a bad player and that individual gets emotionally invested in their belief to the point of arguing with others on a daily basis then once that belief is validated to them: ie (a crucial mistake made in the playoffs but still one mistake in a long game). That one incident validates everything they believe and it can override everything else. A persons need to be right and to have consistency and validation of their beliefs is often much more powerful than their loyalty to a sports team. When Lin made those mistakes there were many people who were actually satisfied with the result since their beliefs were validated and in their mind they were "right" over their opponents, the "heinous LOF's" if you will.

For those that also include the racial component into the belief ( you know who you are) then that even doubles the emotional investment in the belief. If I have a strong belief that Asians can't play basketaball/not athletic: a common stereotype, and I also have the belief that Lin is a bad player then that magnifies the power of the belief even more. A belief like that with so much investment by the individual dwarfs the emotional investment and power of something so trivial as wanting the home team to win the game.

Eg. Another example that most of you probably can relate to better, if a person has a belief that a black guy they know is a bad person and they also have the belief that blacks are criminals and I hear the next day that guy got arrested. Then all my beliefs are validated and my existence as an autonomous individual is therefore validated. Even though that black guy may have done many good things and is generally a good person, the one incident when he is arrested overrides everything.

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

embarrassed for you :eek:

18. jaedenky

jaedenky Member

Don't be. I've probably done more in my life to examine myself and others psychology in order to make progress and eliminate biases than most people. I don't pretend to not see things that are there and I'm not afraid to speak my mind when I do.

19. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

[​IMG]

20. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Again I'll buy a round of shots to celebrate Lin being gone.