1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade James Harden for Andrew Wiggins or Jabari Parker?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OldfanofTmac, May 18, 2014.

?

Would you trade Harden for Wiggins or Jabari Parker?

Poll closed Aug 16, 2014.
  1. Yes, I would be in favor of trading him for Wiggins.

23.2%
  2. Yes, I would be in favor of trading him for Parker.

8.1%
  3. No, I wouldn't be in favor of trading him for either.

68.7%
  1. NBA_Elite

NBA_Elite Member

To me, Harden now is on a par with PRIME Joe Johnson, but he is only 24, he has lots of space to grow.

2. OremLK

OremLK Member

Trading a young proven superstar for a guy who might (if lucky) become a superstar is a STUPID move.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

But but it works all the time in NBA2K!?!

4. langal

langal Contributing Member

My stance has nothing to do with Harden's defense. It just makes sense for me if these prospects are "can't miss".

To me, it's sort of trading Harden for a top prospect plus a wildcard max player. The opt prospects could be the face of the franchise going into the longer-term future too.

I think the chance to play with Dwight, Wiggins (or Exum, etc.), and another "max" level guy next year would be just as appetizing as playing with Dwight and Harden.

Dwight +2 All-Stars plus Wigging/Parker/Exum/etc. could easily be 4 All-Star calibur players.

I completely understand wanting to stand pat though - just would roll the dice if it were me.

5. langal

The additional All-Star we would be sign from the freed cap sapce would not be an unknown commodity though.

6. HTM

HTM Member

Known Quantity > gamble

7. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I'm no cap expert and I have no reason to believe it absolutely can't be done, but I'm having a hard time seeing exactly how we pull off the moves(cap wise)necessary after trading Harden to build the team like you are saying.

8. langal

Trading Harden for a draft pick would essentially be dumping Harden's contract for a rookie-scaled one (and one that is locked for 4 years). That would create space for one max guy.

Asik/Lin come off the books next year for our second max guy. We could possibly dump Asik/Lin/Parsons for someone like Love. Draft Dante Exum and then sign someone like Melo.

Dwight/Love?/Melo?/Exum/Bev. I don't think we lose much defensively with this starting 5 as opposed to this year's starting five. Asik is a goner after next year regardless though.

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

when did free cap space mean automatic all-star signing.

Why would an all star even sign here after we trade away our best player and aquired an unknown commodity.

10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The fact that this thread has reached 4 pages is proof of how bizarre people become in the offseason on this website.

11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Swapping Harden for a top 3 pick pay scaled rookie saves around 10million, which is nowhere near enough for a max player.

12. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

I don't see either as stepping in and becoming an immediate Lebron James. We paired Howard and Harden for a reason. Let 'em do work.

13. langal

Yeah look like you're right. Harden's contract is lower than I thought. I had assumed we would shave off around 15 million. That changes things.

Like I said before - I totally get keeping Harden even if the option was available.

14. langal

Well if it was possible to basically trade Harden for a/the top prospect and a "max slot", then I would do it.

Turns out that trading Harden would probably not create enough space anyways...

If it did however, I wold take the gamble.

A top pick (this year) isn't exactly an unknown quantity.