1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeff Van Gundy as leading Rocket's candidate...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Russ Richardson, Jun 1, 2003.

1. Russ Richardson

Russ Richardson New Member

I dont usually post to the board very often, but I have become intrigued about the Rockets' interest in Jeff Van Gundy. I have been a Rockets fan since 1981 and this is the first time that I am really not pleased with the (potential) coaching hire. First of all, why is Jeff Van Gundy such a hot coaching candidate? Is it because he is an analyst for TNT? Isnt Van Gundy the same coach to quit on his Knicks team early into the season? What are Van Gundy's credentials really? Other than being a college assistant for 6 seasons and an NBA assistant for 6 seasons, why is JVG so hot on the potential coach list? I understand that he is from a basketball coaching family, his brother is still an assistant for the Miami Heat, and his father a longtime Division II coach, but just the simple fact is that he got an opportunity to coach an NBA team without a great resume and he quit on them just rubs me the wrong way. Is this someone we really want coaching the Rockets? Is the organization still trying to win NBA championships or just putting someone in the coaching seat? For one thing, I think the best coaches have been players at some point. He was able to break into coaching based on the fact that his family had strings in the coaching business. The Rockets are a young team on the rise, and in my opinion, they need a coach that they believe will be there for them in good times and bad, not one who might up and quit on them for "personal reasons." How can you get your team to play hard even when things arent going well when you were known to quit your last team when things didnt go well? The coaching decision the organization makes now is a very important one, especially with so many young players on the roster. I think a coach with some NBA playing experience is just what the Rockets need. Let me know what you guys think.

2. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I think that this thread is in the wrong forum.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Russ,

Until JVG is officially out of the race, pick one of the many JVG-related threads in the forum to post in. This forum is for non-Rockets-related discussion about the NBA.

4. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Red Auerbach won 8 championships in a row. What team did he play for again?