1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tom Savage - Texans' fourth round (#135 overall) pick

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Clutch, May 10, 2014.

?

Do you agree with this draft pick?

1. YES

185 vote(s)
    74.9%
  2. NO

62 vote(s)
    25.1%
  1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

You also don't reach like the Jaguars did when you have an elite prospect in front of you.

A top 5 pick at QB usually means minimum of three years of investigating whether that QB will be the franchise guy or not.

The Texans obviously played it smart. Bortles was a 4th to 5th round pick during the middle of college season last year.

2. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Honestly I feel it will be a process for Savage but I do see him as a quick learner. I like the pick a lot just don't know when he'll be ready to lead this team during the season. I hope he surprises us and know we all hope that. The chances are sooooo low but he is tough and he has a big strong arm. Those two things can make up for a lot.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

You don't need the best defense, but you do need a top 10 defense. It is much easier to win a SB with a great defense than it is with a great QB.

4. Remii

Remii Member

Difference with the Seahawks is they are not paying anyone in their front 7 ridiculous money. They draft for depth on their D-Line and constantly rotate those guys. In turn that keeps those guys from getting big numbers which means no huge contracts... And if they lose one to free agency _ it doesn't hurt them. But they pay and keep their secondary guys because a good DB can stay on the field a majority of the game.

And of course scouting well and drafting well has something to do with it which is something that us Texans fans are unfamiliar with.

5. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Judging by result, most of the 32 teams will take Eli in a heart beat.

The goal of this game is to win it all.

It doesn't matter how overrated Eli will be, 2rings are all it matters.

Teams will not give a **** if Eli will go to the hof or not, if you can bring a championship to the team, you are my guy.

There is no questions that in those 2 championship seasons of the giant, Eli had done more than enough to bring the trophy home.

I don't care how great Marino was, I will draft David Carr over him IF he could have 2seasons exactly like Eli did and rest of his career just like David Carr.

6. Remii

Remii Member

He looks the part. And he's not a stick in the mud like Schaub. I'm expecting to see him on the field sooner than some may think. I do not expect Fitzpatrick to be the starting quarterback all season. The Texans need to find out what they have in this kid before next year's draft.

7. Remii

Remii Member

According to whom...???

No one knew who da heck Savage was during the college year but we drafted him in the 4th round.

The NFL doesn't let Mel and Todd make their draft picks for them.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yikes, there is such a lack of understanding of what goes into a team winning. You have average to above average QB's getting called "elite" left and right just because their team happened to win.

9. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

Agree 100%

This happens WAAAAYY to much when discussing NFL QBs across all media. I have often heard Eli's name in this category which is just foolish.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

You should've been around here in 2006 during all the Vince Young debates....

11. Nook

Nook Member

The other way BOB gets a pass if Bortles or Bridgewater become pro bowlers, is if NEXT year they draft a better QB than Bortles or Bridgewater.

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

That still means they were wrong in their evaluation of Bortles/Bridgewater.

13. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

But nobody will give a **** if they end up with a better QB.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

That's why I don't get all the outrage about not drafting a franchise QB THIS year. By all accounts, it was a pretty weak class for guys like that, so where is it written that we have to find the guy THIS year?

And you don't neccesarily have to have the 1st pick in the draft to get a great QB. The next draft is a year away. A LOT can happen between now and then. Someone who isn't even on the radar right now could emerge once the season gets started and rocket ahead of the guys from FSU and Oregon.

15. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Some interesting stats from "College Football Metrics":-
    ladanian tomlinson - 12.02
    Calvin Johnson - 15
    Brandon Marshall - 9.5
    AJ Green - 8.5
    Andre Johnson - 8.4
    Gronk- 11.76
    CJ - 6
    Dwight Freeney - 17.6
    JJ watt - 12.5
    Dion Jordan - 7.4
    Whitney Mercilus - 8.0
    Russell Wilson - 10.3
    Aaron Rogers - 9.5
    Matt Ryan - 8
    Schaub - 7.2
    Brady - 11.46
    These are a rating - how they obtain that figure I cannot tell you.

It rated Tom Savage as 8.7 - so if he is between an Aaron Rogers and a Matt Ryan, I'll take that all day.
    The other interesting thing to come out of this site is that it graded TS the highest out of this draft class as well.
    Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger.

16. Remii

Remii Member

Exactly. And that's why I said it's time for O'Brien to put his money where his mouth is and prove that there's not much separation between these quarterbacks by having success with Savage.

And since he said that and he has the "quarterback guru" tag... That's what should be expected.

17. dookiester

dookiester Member

yeah, the only reason anybody should be outraged with us not taking bortles/manziel/bridgewater is if you think one of them is a can't miss prospect. i don't think any rational person actually believes that, so then you're just talking about a bunch of people upset that we didn't reach on a QB on the offchance that he turns out to be great, when we can do that literally any year. even if we could've drafted an andrew luck this year, this team wasn't going to be a contender overnight. this team has more holes than QB to fill, and we plugged those holes with much greater talent than we could have plugged the QB hole. now we hope the QB prospect we DID take pans out, or we wait and see what QB prospects are available next year.

1 person likes this.
  18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>First player to practice and on the field working today? Tom Savage. 3Texans <a href="http://t.co/gLkvtQjLvR" title="http://twitter.com/PatDStat/status/467802324581105664/photo/1" org_href="http://twitter.com/PatDStat/status/467802324581105664/photo/1">pic.twitter.com/gLkvtQjLvR</a></p>&mdash; PDS (@PatDStat) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatDStat/status/467802324581105664" data-datetime="2014-05-17T18:02:20+00:00">May 17, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>JD update, a Savage and Slaughter in Rookie Mini-Camp: Day Two Review : State of the Texans <a href="http://t.co/ooF9w5Ho6r" title="http://www.stateofthetexans.com/blog/2014/05/17/rookie-mini-camp-day-two-review/" org_href="http://www.stateofthetexans.com/blog/2014/05/17/rookie-mini-camp-day-two-review/">stateofthetexans.com/blog/2014/05/1…</a> <a class="hashtag" action="hash" title="#Texans">#Texans</a> <a class="hashtag" action="hash" title="#NFL">#NFL</a></p>&mdash; PDS (@PatDStat) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatDStat/status/467834921948442624" data-datetime="2014-05-17T20:11:52+00:00">May 17, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. Fantasma Negro

Jesus he looks just like Schaub. Face and body language. I hope he doesn't play like hi.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'd love it if he ended up as good as Schaub was in his prime, Schaub in his prime with Savage's arm strength is a top 5 QB in the league.