1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Asian-American sitcom 'Fresh Off The Boat" and more new racially themed ABC shows

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Victorious, May 14, 2014.

1. Victorious

Victorious Member

Cmon guys, were none of you influenced by the urban culture as grew up as a kid? Lol guess it all depends on where you lived. Looks like a typical sitcom to me so I'll watch.

Yall always complain about there's no Asians in Hollywood/TV. Well here's a sitcom with an all Asian cast which you never see and yall just dog it.

Yall are silly. "An Asian American Journey" LOL. Why not name a show "Black Man's Plight In A White Man's World"? "Fresh Off The Boat" is actually the name of Eddie Huangs (the kid in the show) cooking show with Vice.

As for the accent, I'm pretty sure most Asian parents that immigrated to America, speaks with a slight accent. The kid speaks perfect English. Sounds accurate to me.

2. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

More from Wikkipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresh_Off_the_Boat_(TV_series)

Fresh Off the Boat is an upcoming American situation comedy series starring Hudson Yang, that is loosely based on the life of chef and food personality Eddie Huang and his book Fresh Off the Boat: A Memoir. It is the first Asian-American television situation comedy since Margaret Cho's All American Girl, which aired for one season in 1994. Its style is akin to the racial comedy Everybody Hates Chris.

Synopsis
    The story follows the story of Eddie Huang's Taiwanese family as they make their way from Washington DC to Orlando, Florida to open up a steak restaurant during the 1990s.[5] The mother struggles with culture clash, the father embraces the "American Dream", and Eddie and his brothers struggle with assimilating into the school.

3. VanityHalfBlack

If it's funny I'm cool with it.

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I don't get it. They keep saying they're moving from DC. Eddie was born there and he looks around 10 in the show. So how is there so much culture shock?

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I hope they are good
    I hope they aren't stereotypical

but . . . I am not exactly confident about it

Rocket River

6. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

D.C. had a a much bigger Asian-American population in the early 90's than Florida. It would be kind of like a Hispanic person in Houston moving to Wisconsin.

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

the fake broken english by the actress playing the mother isn't very convincing.

8. BonziWellsGOAT

Hmmmmmmm

[​IMG]

9. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Asian show looks stupid. And they didn't come off a boat. They drove to Florida from DC.

But at least it has a hot lead actress.

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Constance Wu can sing, too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIx8INhbNAA

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/eIx8INhbNAA?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/eIx8INhbNAA?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

All Asians love Karaoke, I guess? :confused: WTF, McDonald's...?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3whnLkFLsc
    <object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/f3whnLkFLsc?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/f3whnLkFLsc?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

11. Nook

Nook Member

Swoly told me that Jeremy Lin is going to guest star!

12. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

This is a very divisive issue. The "normal Asians" quote in itself refers to non-American Asians or first generation Asians with a perceived deviance or lacking a certain cultural aspect. Stereotypes often run rampant in American media on Asian American and Asian individuals. Moreover, it doesn't help that Asians are already underrepresented on both fronts, while both groups remain horribly portrayed in some venues. Which is born out of ignorance and not having writers on your staff.

13. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

every Asian I know likes karaoke when they're in their early 20s. It's a true stereotype

14. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

I like Eddie Huang's online show on Vice, although sometimes he can be douchey and annoying. He knows his food very well.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Agreed
    The need for strong Asian writers on the show
    who are willing to say . . HOLD UP! THAT'S TOO FAR
    will be key to the show

Alot of negative vileness comes out of ignorance, stupidity
    and general lack of a person in the room with the experience and background
    to know the climate/environment and audience.
    Sometimes you need someone of that group to be there and just be the voice of reason
    and
    they are not the voice of everyone of the gorup
    but it at least gives the opportunity to not offend

Someone thought this was a good cover for the new All African American Avengers comic . . . .. yea. . . . . that happened
    [​IMG]

and this
    [​IMG]
    Yea . . the all African American Avengers are fighting fire breathing chickens. . . .
    just wow.

I wish I was in the room when these were discussed.

Rocket River

16. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

This is interesting. When I say "normal asians", I mean normal freaking people, who also happen to have asian facial features and skin tone. You know, people who aren't martial artists, or speak with broken english. Asexual asian men who have no charisma and the personality of a drywall. Very little character development, aside from token attributes such as martial arts, the foreigner, or the unattractive short/fat funny guy (think Ken Jeong or Bobby Lee). Rarely will you see asian male roles that are flattering.

On the flipside, how are asian women portrayed? Sexual, exotic, submissive, unwithering loyalty (stereotypical asian core values), to their (white) boyfriend/husband.

“It seems to be okay if the man is white and the woman is Asian. The community thinks it typecasts Asian women as exotic or as playthings.”

At the same time, Imada says, “Asian males are just not viewed as being lovers, as being manly enough, or sexy enough, to carry a story or a commercial. The idea is that they’re not strong enough to woo a white woman. So they don’t get the roles” and are rarely paired with women of any race.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...59bc84-feb1-11e1-a31e-804fccb658f9_story.html

Another thing you touched upon. I agree, the term "Normal asians" is certainly subjective and means different things to different people. In media, there is a strong correlation to them being foreigners, as a tool for comic relief, or as an object of sexuality; with little to no personality. Basically, they're not portrayed like real human beings. Their typical roles are unrelatable, and difficult for the audience to actually become immersed with their characters; either due to their foreignness or lack of humanistic qualities. They're either a kung fu master, a court jester, or sex doll.

It's one thing for Asians to be underrepresented, its another thing when movies like Dragonball are being whitewashed. (was a childhood favorite comic of mine)
    Goku is the lead character, so I guess he can't be asian.

More examples:
    http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2009/11/29/casting-white-actors-in-asian-roles-1957-to-today/

#56 krnxsnoopy, May 15, 2014
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
  17. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Contributing Member

I'm Chinese-American, and I got to say they got some of the Chinese stereotypes spot on, lol.

18. dback816

dback816 Member

What exactly does you being Asian have anything to do with this?

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Out of those I thought American Crime was the most interesting. The Blackish one just was cringe worthy and the Fresh off the Boat one slightly less, although I did find the Chinese grocery scene pretty funny.

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I found both parents accents pretty tacky.