1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Warriors hire Steve Kerr

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Orange, May 14, 2014.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If Phil hires a guy with no previous head coaching experience, I would bet on Fisher.

2. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Cosign. Fisher IMO will be a better leader & head coach than Kerr

3. Rockness

Rockness Member

I would be pissed if I were a Warriors fan

4. conquistador#11

mama, here comes that whiteman.

my shot at steve kerr for his yao treatment.

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

6. hardLINer

hardLINer Member

i guess they dont kerr...

7. Willard Decker

The Rockets are 7-3 against Golden State over the past three seasons. And it's worth noting that although the Rockets have a favorable record against the Warriors, that doesn't matter if they're not able to advance far enough into the postseason to face them.

8. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Mchale sounded very intelligent as a TV commentator on the sidelines. Kerr might be a similar situation.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Derek Fisher is the one I would hire. He has been head of the players union, played for a number of coaches and is well respected by front offices and players. He is also considered one of the brightest players in the NBA.

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

And probably the biggest lying POS, TBH.

1 person likes this.
  11. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

[​IMG]

This guy isn't respected for anything in my book.

12. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

i'm surprised the Knicks were wanting to give him four years.

New and unproven coach I would expect no more then 3 years for their first contract.

If Warriors miss the playoffs next year they will look quite the fool

13. Nook

Nook Member

Yup..... but Phil Jackson is a lying POS too.... so not that big a deal.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Fish it is?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...el-fisher-failing-hook-kerr-article-1.1793887

Derek Fisher the front-runner to be next Knicks coach as Phil Jackson loses Steve Kerr to Warriors

BY FRANK ISOLA NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Published: Thursday, May 15, 2014, 4:14 PM Updated: Friday, May 16, 2014, 8:58 AM

The Knicks’ next head coach could bring home a championship ring as early as next month.

Oklahoma City guard Derek Fisher, who played under Phil Jackson with the Los Angeles Lakers, is emerging as a leading candidate to join Jackson in New York now that Jackson's first choice, Steve Kerr, has agreed to terms with the Golden State Warriors. Fisher, of course, has zero head coaching experience, but Jackson believes that Fisher has the intelligence and work ethic to become successful if he happened to make the move from player to coach. Most recently, Jason Kidd went right from playing to being hired as head coach of the Brooklyn Nets.

Fisher, though, might not be available for another five weeks if the Thunder advances to the NBA Finals for the second time in three years. When Jackson met with the media last month he indicated that he could envision a scenario where the Knicks didn’t have a coach in place until late June.

“Hiring a coach I don’t think’s important with a timetable,” Jackson said in April. “We’d really like to have a coach in our summer-league camp, or our summer-league games out in Las Vegas in July. That is important to us.

Jackson’s plan, according to a source, would be to assemble an experienced staff around Fisher that could potentially include Kurt Rambis and Bill Cartwright, two former NBA head coaches. Jackson thinks highly of Rambis, the longtime Lakers assistant, and there is a possibility that Rambis could be hired as a head coach.

The one reservation, according to a source, is that Rambis wouldn’t make a big splash like Fisher or Kerr. Rambis has been a head coach with both the Lakers and Timberwolves and has amassed a record of 56-145. Rambis most recently coached the Timberwolves for two years and went 32-132 before being fired after the 2010-11 season.

Rambis also butted heads with Kevin Love, who has become one of the NBA’s top power forwards. It has been speculated that Love would have reservations about possibly signing with the Lakers as a free agent if Rambis remains on the coaching staff.

“We’re looking for a leader,” Jackson said last month. “Someone who can bring out the best in players, someone who has the capability of encouraging the staff to meet the needs that players have, that philosophically join in, they buy into what we’re doing.”

Jackson is the best candidate for the job, having won an NBA-record 11 championships. Jackson’s fiancée, Jeanie Buss, tried to convince him to become the Knicks coach, but Jackson continues to say he’s not going to coach. His position could change if he doesn’t find a coach with whom he is comfortable.

Whether Jackson would look outside his circle of former players or assistants is unclear. There is strong public sentiment for Jackson to reach out to New York product Mark Jackson, the former Knick who was fired last week as Warriors coach. Mark Jackson refused to comment on the Knicks’ coaching vacancy on Thursday when contacted by the Daily News. He did admit that he hasn’t spoken to anyone representing Phil Jackson or the Knicks.

Jeff Van Gundy would also be a popular choice for Knicks fans, but it is unlikely that Jackson will reach out to his longtime adversary.

Jackson was in Chicago on Thursday for the NBA draft combine but was unavailable for comment. It has been three weeks since he interviewed Kerr, who was his one and only candidate. Kerr told The News on Thursday that he was leaning toward joining Jackson in New York until Golden State officials flew to Oklahoma City on Tuesday to meet with Kerr, who was there on assignment with TNT.

“Phil told me, ‘You have to feel it in your gut,’” Kerr said. “This was going to be a life-changing decision for me, and something was nagging at me about it.”

Kerr contacted Jackson on Wednesday to inform him he was taking the Warriors’ job, which will pay him $25 million over five years.

“It was agonizing to tell Phil that,” Kerr said. “But Phil could not have handled it better. That's why I was so intrigued about working with him. He has an incredible way with people. It would have been amazing to work with him, but I just couldn’t get there.”

Kerr says he felt comfortable talking to Knicks executives Steve Mills and Jamie Matthews, but ultimately geography and family led him to Golden State. Kerr lives in San Diego and his daughter attends Cal-Berkeley.

“It was challenging to reconcile living in New York while my family is 3,000 miles away,” Kerr said. “This was very stressful, but I’m comfortable with the decision I made.”

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

From now on the Warriors will be known as WarriorsLol.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Among staff possibilities for Golden State coach Steve Kerr: Andy Greer (Chicago) and Nick Nurse (Toronto), sources tell Yahoo Sports.</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/statuses/467708583413833729">May 17, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Report: Knicks lost out on Steve Kerr because of 3-year, $13 million offer

<a href="http://t.co/689zzpepAa">http://t.co/689zzpepAa</a></p>&mdash; Eye on Basketball (@EyeOnBasketball) <a href="https://twitter.com/EyeOnBasketball/statuses/467668431215403008">May 17, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I respect the Knicks for not overpaying

18. conquistador#11

lol give the warriors some f'n credit! i find it funny that the zen master who wanted michael jordan type of money to coach did not want to spare just a million more for the man he wanted.

19. Shaud

Shaud Member

Probably because Phil Jackson has history of being a great coach while Steve Kerr doesn't.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Ding ding ding!

How does Kerr deserve a 5 year contract? Phil wanted to give him a shot and the Warriors are going to regret thinking this guy doesn't have a lot of learning to do.