1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HPD Speeding ticket. what to do?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Scarface281, May 14, 2014.

1. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

I just got a ticket for going 70 on 59 between Bissonnett and Hillcroft. Officer said I was following to close also. What do I do? The situation was there was a line of cars going like 55 to 60 as I was getting on the freeway. They were driving side by side in the middle lane like idiots. There was a line of cars going like 65 to 70 in the left lane. I dont want to get into an accident, so I got in quick in the left lane. So when I initially got into the lane I was close to the car in front, but pretty quick I started making space. When I got into the left lane, I saw the cop two cars behind me (two cars between me and him). So I passed this work van and moved out of the left lane. That was when he turned his lights on and went around all the cars to catch me. He went from the far left to far right to pass the side by side idiots and then came behind me (second lane to the left) when I was going less than 70 by then because I saw him.

Should I go to trial for it?

2. VanityHalfBlack

Houston is the worst when it comes to this. It usually how I would get a ticket.

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Pay the fine or learn some defensive driving.

AND then...

[​IMG]

:eek:

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. A normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop heart. Make the b*stard chase you. He will follow. But he won't know what to make of your blinker signal that says you are about to turn right. This is to let him know you're pulling off for a proper place to talk. It will take him a moment to realize that he's about to make a 180 degree turn at speed, but you will be ready for it. Brace for the g's, and fast heel-toe work.

5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Everytime I get pulled over, they always issue two violations- one actual and one bogus. I think they do that so when you appear in court they can act like they're giving you some lenience by taking one of the violations away, so you end up still paying for one. It's a pretty effed up system. I even had a heart to heart with a judge once and both of us came to the conclusion that the Harris Co. system was just a huge cog in the giant machine that is Houston traffic violations. Just there to take your money.

6. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Lawyer up or take defensive driving. DO NOT pay it!! :mad:

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

How often do you get pulled over?

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Last ticket I got in Angelina County paying the ticket wasn't much more than taking defensive driving... Some extra fee to take dd.

9. Scarface281

Lawyer suggestions?

I cant believe he put following to closely on there. Im the last one that follows close, I just had to get into the lane quick. I always leave a three or four car gap between myself and the car in front of me, and increase that the faster I'm going. It's bull****. And the 70? I was the middle car in a line of like six, including him who was the last car. Come on. He just picked me out like a douche because I looked up and noticed him and had the 02 accord vs the new BMW and Mercedes and new Tahoe in front of me that were speeding.

10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Not often at all. Just the two times I have been pulled over, the same thing happened with two violations.

11. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Taking defensive driving keeps the ticket off of your record and lowers your insurance as well.

12. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

What is the speed limit where you received the ticket?

13. Scarface281

Its 60 in the area. About two miles south its 65.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Just take defensive driving online and move on with your life.

15. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Why did you get out of the fast lane to pass a van on the right if there were cars already going 70 in the fast lane?

If I'm reading it right, your description sounds like you shot across all 4 lanes to get to the fast lane in one single move instead of changing into each lane properly and that you were going so fast you were instantly on the bumper of a car in the fast lane that was presumably going 65 to 70 mph. Then, you cut off a van in the lane to the right of the fast lane.

16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I've gotten tons of speeding tickets and have gone lawyer, defensive driving and deferred adjudication / disposition. You can't win. My advice:

If you're factoring in the cost of your time, Defensive Driving is a terrible waste of money.

A lawyer will go in and good-ol'-boy talk the prosecutor into a lowered penalty. You'll be out your time in court, parking fees to get there, drive time AND lawyer's fees. This is by far the most expensive (out of pocket) way to deal with a ticket.

Deferred Disposition instead. It's the time it takes to get a couple of copies of documentation, fill out a form and mail it.

17. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Defensive Driving if you can. I got a speeding ticket for going 40 in a 30 earlier this year.

Paying the fine was $226
    Deferred Adjudication was $226
    Defensive Driving $108 (to the courts) $25 to take the class online.

Or get a lawyer, a lot of times they can just get it dismissed easier than us petty civilians.

18. Scarface281

Lmao, no. I had moved over and signaled for each lane. The cop even gave me kudos for that because he said he saw me signal for each lane and move over. He just said I did it too aggressively.

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Let's see, your moniker is Scarface and your signature indicates a deep love for an illegal drug. A speeding ticket is the least of your worries. :)

20. rex

rex Member

http://www.davidsprecher.com/

Used this guy quite a few times. Last I went it was $150 for his services. Worst case was paying $40 in court cost but the ticket was dropped.