1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBS] Andre Johnson Was Denied New Contract

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, May 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

This could get ugly

2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Maybe be a leader (captain) with all of the recent changes. Honest question, is that too much to ask?!?!

I mean you can't want to win but not want to work. I don't think your teammates would respect that. Well maybe for a vet they would.

3. Remii

Remii Member

All these years of hard work Dre put in and fans are quick to turn on him because his opinion is different from theirs....

You're next J.J.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Didn't mention any of that, but um, ok.

Has nothing to do with McNair or battlefighting, it's just who Andre is. He's not a troublemaker. He's a professional and a team player. He is upset about how last year turned out, and despite how much everyone crapped on them, he probably didn't want Schaub and Kubiak gone.

When you're about to turn 33 and looking at a total rebuild, that has to be daunting if not depressing. But like I said, he'll get over it. Things change fast in the NFL. Win a couple games, suddenly everything is sunshine and rainbows. Maybe he and O'Brien will hit it off. Who knows. Besides, holding out won't end well for AJ. Time isn't on his side. He's here through at least the next 2 seasons.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

JJ isn't stupid. He's gonna ask for the moon in his next contract.

After all this is a business and they will show how loyal they are to players by how they treat Andre right now.

6. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Is it possible to pick up a 1st round pick for him? This is certainly not a great position to be in with a veteran player and they should think about the future. Teams part ways with great players a lot for the good of the team.

I also really really feel for him. He has been such a great player in so many ways and I feel bad that he has been on such horrible teams.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Exactly. If he doesn't get over it, he can sit. As a fan of this craptastic franchise, I don't get paid millions nor do I have the luxury of being traded so I can root for a more successful franchise. He can suffer right along with us.

8. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

The first loyalty of every team (other than to their pocketbooks) is to winning. Trading Andre doesn't exactly help with that goal.

9. Relentless

Relentless Member

Bahahahaha! This dude said 1st rounder. Oh, my sides!

10. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

How many times has a star on a huge contract been traded for draft picks?

I have no idea what the market would yield.

11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Nobody is turning on him.

Good post.

12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Obviously he thought a decent quarterback was incoming through the draft. When that didn't pan out he is shuddering at the thought of an entire year, one of his few remaining, with a scrub QB.

13. Aydge

Aydge Member

Dude is tired of minicamps and OTAs.

There is nothing to see here.

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Maybe because you're a professional who wants to continue to improve? :confused:

All the more reason to go to the workouts, I think.

I don't care who the quarterback is, Andre Johnson is probably 2nd best only to maybe one or two existing WRs in the game, so it doesn't matter if it's Fitzpatrick or Keenum, Savage or Yates, he will catch all the passes.

STOP insinuating he belongs in another team. :eek:

15. Relentless

Relentless Member

Ftfy. I certainly doubt a 1st round pick.

16. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

For those of you looking to trade 'Dre, here are some recent deals:

2007 - 30 yr odlRandy Moss traded from Raiders to Pats for 4th round pick
    2009 - 32 yr old Tony Gonzalez traded from Cheifs to Falcons for 2nd round pick
    2013 - 32yr old Anquan Boldin traded from Ravens to 49ers for 6th round pick
    2014 - 27 yr old Stevie Johnson traded from Bills to 49ers for conditional 4th that could escalate to 3rd

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He really doesn't deserve better, he's acting like an idiot. I can understand his frustration, but he shouldn't have signed the contract if he wanted to go ring chasing.

His fans were his fans based on his performance and his loyalty to the team. He's always been a "team first" guy, but now he's acting like a child....why wouldn't his fans be mad at him? If he'd acted this way his entire career, he wouldn't have those fans in the first place.

If JJ Watt turns on the team, yes, the fans will turn on him as well. Why should this surprise anyone? The players are largely irrelevant, they are all temporary and their fans are temporary as well. The only reason anyone cares about them at all is their link to an NFL franchise.

18. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Patriots sent Matt Cassel to KC for a 2nd rounder.

Eagles sent 33 year old McNabb to Washington for a 2nd and 4th rounder.

Patriots sent 34 year old Randy Moss to Minnesota for a 3rd and 7th rounder.

Broncos got Kyle Orton (lol), 1st, and 3rd rounder for Jay Cutler.

I think AJ would fetch something in the Moss/McNabb range.

19. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

I didnt look up salaries and contracts for these trades but this would be a starting point i would guess

20. MystikArkitect

Must be brutal to be as talented as Andre and Fitzy, do things the right way and be loyal to your franchise and still KNOW you will fall in the 10-20 range among all time greats...when consistent malcontents like Randy Moss and Terrell Owens are often regarded as the consensus #2 and #3 receivers of all time and burned every bridge they ever crossed.

Can't blame the guy. Take notes Megatron.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.