1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you want mike brown as lead assistant for the rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mattlivin05, May 12, 2014.

1. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Jackson is worse than Mchale, Mchale doesn't do much whereas Mark tends to actively sabotage his team with dumb rotations.

2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

can't really respond to random statements of nothingness--sorry you're confused

3. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

I would rather higher a random clutchfans poster

4. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

no but I am sure Lex and Daryl like cheap weeny coaches and more profit.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Mike Brown is a borderline loser without the King

6. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

And lets get mark jackson as well while we are at it

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

So basically after the collective clutchfans worshipping at the altar of Popovich for the past week, now the most successful(yes most successful) Popovich disciple is available as an assistant and everyone hates the idea?

Clutchfans logic at its best.

8. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

The most successful with LeBron. A failure without him.

The fact that's he's a Pop-disciple sound nice, until you consider that Mike Brown pretty much does nothing like Pop. His offense is/always has been entirely different and his defensive schemes/philosophy are completely different as well.

Pop-y-ness of Pop-tree (advanced stat):
    Brett Brown 78%
    Mike Budenholer 59%
    Jacque Vaughn 30%
    Monty Williams 22%
    Mike Brown 16%

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

You're implying that other coaches were more successful than him. So are you saying that D'Antoni made the Lakers successful after he was fired? Or that Byron Scott was successful until he replaced Scott?

Not that it matters ultimately given that he'd be given an ASSISTANT coaching position. And that none of the stuff that ego clashing with Irving, Kobe, Dwight, etc. would matter given that it's McHale's job to keep the egos in check.

I stand by my statement. Clutchfans logic at its best. Odd how Adelman crapping it up in Minnesota is excused because it's Minnesota. Yet it's Mike Brown's fault that Cleveland's Cleveland.

10. noone

noone Rookie

Most honest answer - I don't know.

11. HMMMHMM

So Mike D'Antoni and Byron Scott are the gold standard then? I mean, that's your point? Mike Brown didn't do worse than two mediocre at best coaches? C'mon! :)

Sure, he'd only be an assistant. Still, I really don't see what's the appeal to after the guy. I guess you could do worse, but if I'm in charge of this process there are probably 10-15 guys (mostly up-and-coming assistants) I'd explore before Mike Brown.

Also, while I'm not sure how this is relevant, I didn't "excuse" Adelman's performance with the T-Wolves in any way. I'm on record that he's (become) overrated on this board and that with a lot of the new coaches doing a nice job, he probably was no better than a middle of the pack coach this past year.

12. noone

noone Rookie

13. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

It's a dumb & dumber analogy.... I really hope Morey gets fired or resigns if he considers Mike Brown a credible coach. You need to consider how bad the team was and where to go. McHale and Brown not need be anywhere in this coaching staff nor organization.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I'd have no problem with Mark Jackson as an assistant.

He has been giving Clippers and Spurs some problems in the playoffs.

15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

adelman crapped out? they were devastatingly injured last year and this year he had them at .500 in an extremely tough western conference with no where near enough talent to do so.

i would rather bring in a big name coach like mike brown, or mike woodson as an assistant than some unknown person. but at the same time, mike brown was pretty unsuccessful when given lots of talent in cleveland and LA.

his offensive planning was worse than ours this year. in game adjustments/substitutions/out of time out plays were just as head-scratching. his defense was good in cleveland (the first time around) because they had illgauskas, shaq, varejao in the middle with lebron and delonte west on the wing, and they packed the paint to force low % shots.

if this guy is running our X's and O's while mcfail is clapping, we will be just as frustrated after timeouts, with the sub patterns, with the offensive system, and not see that much improvement on defense. pretty much will be like this year. first round exit.

i guess the bigger problem is, i'm not sure is any assistant can get us out of the first round. i think the problem is mcfail. lionel hollins, SVG, george karl, these guys could get us to the WCF of better. mcfail + mike brown, mike woodson, or any other assistant just isn't a big enough change to make a difference. so i guess my answer after this long rant is, sure, why not mike brown? what's the difference? just don't expect much more than we got this year.

16. HMMMHMM

I didn't say Adelman crapped out. He looked disinterested at the end of the year, essentially throwing games a few games where the T-Wolves were still very much in reach and I just think he's generally become overrated on this board.

He obviously isn't/wasn't a bad coach, I just think folks are living in the past if they think Adelman still is up there with the elite coaches and that there's much of a different between him and McHale. Both guy are flawed, just in different ways.

I'm with you that ideally you'd like to bring in somebody proven, however 'proven' coaches are obviously much less likely to accept an assistant coaching gig.
    Guys like JVG, Scott Skiles, Doug Collins and Frank Vogel (if fired) obviously all are very much worth exploring. I just think it's unlikely they'd entertain the idea of being an assistant coach, which leaves you with coaching-rejects like Mike Brown or up-and-coming coaches, which would be my preference.
    Adrian Griffin (CHI), Mike Longabardi (PHX), Jay Larranaga (BOS), Tryon Lue (LAC), Darren Erman (GSW tape-recorder, now in BOS front-office), Brian Scalabrine, etc...

#56 HMMMHMM, May 13, 2014
    Last edited: May 13, 2014
  17. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Lots of talent in Cleveland? ummm....ummmmm....is your brain functioning properly?

You know it wasn't the coaching that led Lebron to leave right?

And he also led the Lakers to exactly the same place that Phil Jackson did the year prior, it wasn't like he oversaw the cluster**** that was D'antoni.

His offense sucks, but that's not what we want him for, and this idea that he'd be the frontrunner as a replacement doesn't make sense considering the team is afraid he might leave for a head coaching job. Just like Sampson was never ever ever going to be our head coach.

18. Doktor Mndbndr

I'd prefer to see the Rockets bribe two of Pop's assistant coaches with $1 million salaries than get Mike Brown. I want Pop's system with the latest updates, and from more than one person. Three assistants would be even better.

IIRC, the highest assistant coach salary is around $700,000 (except for Lawrence Frank), so $3 million should be enough to steal Pop's system (and what a great bargain price) and roll it out next season here in Houston.

19. Doktor Mndbndr

Btw, given that Les is obviously flush with cash and can afford $6 million locker rooms, this year he should put the leftover $3 million to hiring a Van Gundy. Just freakin' get it done and systematize both the offense and defense.

20. Nook

Nook Member

I think that you and HMMM are talking about two different things.

I agree with you, that the success of a team and the perceived success of a coach is 95% the quality of the players and how long that they have played together. Adelman wasn't a genius in Sacramenton and Portland, and he wasn't a damn fool in Sacramento... he was a good but not great coach.

However, I think that what HMMM is saying is that Brown's PHILOSOPHY and coaching style is not much like Popvich (which is true). Also, it isn't coincidence that Brown was viewed as a really good coach when he had the best player on the planet to work with.

The Rockets can do worse than Brown, but I will tell you, Brown's system IS becoming outdated. His system prevents penetration and post scoring, but at the expense of corner 3's and fast break points. 5-6 years ago it wasn't such an issue, but now it is because teams are living and dying with the 3 and teams are not really trying to feed the ball into the post.