1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Texans #1 Draft Pick Thread (3.0)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., May 2, 2014.

?

Number one pick?

Poll closed May 8, 2014.
  1. Teddy Bridgewater

4.3%
  2. Jadeveon Clowney

40.6%
  3. Khalil Mack

4.3%
  4. Johnny Manziel

24.2%
  5. Trade the pick(minimum of: swap of 2014 1st rd picks; future 1st; 2014 2nd rd pick)

25.8%
  6. Still undecided

0.8%
  1. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

We would have to at least get their 2nd rounder this year and maybe even next year. #6 pick, 2nd (2014), 3rd( 2014) and 1st pick next year seems reasonable if the Texans want whoever is available at #6. RGIII type trades will never happen again. Atlanta will still have no depth so I don't think they will sniff the 20's next year.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

honestly, you have no idea. neither do i.

the guys making the pick are paid big money to get this right. their jobs are on the line. picking between these guys is their job.

I'm not a Bortles fan..but I don't have my livelihood riding on it, either.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

McNair said that?

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just a thought.

Whatever you think of this player or that player, if you look at the consensus "Top 10" guys, at leans one, probably more than one, and potentially quite a few of those guys will bust, or at least be nothing beyond average. And predicting who is a coin flip.

At this point in the process, people have worked themselves up into such a lather that that fact gets lost.

Also, there will be players picked after the first round that will have better careers that the average 1st rounder.

#904 Ottomaton, May 8, 2014
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
  5. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Clowney's quick burst off the line will cause so many problems for offenses.

Penalty galore trying to contain that guy(holds,false starts)!

Clowney helps this team out more than Mack.

Anyone else hoping for a Houston trade back in to round 1 for a really good RT? I am.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Essentially, yes. He said if there was a QB that was the top pick it would be easy, but there isn't anyone like that in this class, that there isn't a "Luck or RG3" out there.

7. Remix

Remix Member

Calling it now. Texans trade a 3rd to the Patriots for Ryan Mallet

8. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

Here come the Mallett rumors again. To the Texans said to be a done deal

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The guy who started the new rumor just said it wasn't a done deal.

God please make it 7pm already.

10. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

So does that mean that he thinks Clowney can do better or does that mean they're doing him a disservice by comparing him to an all-time great, bc that's too high of a standard for him?

11. Houston_Rockets

Why do so many people want to trade down (honest question)?
    If the trade proposal is huge, like overpaying for a 1st pick huge, then I get it.

But as of right now we need top tier talent, we don´t need 6 good players. If I am a GM with the lack of great players that we have, I am actually considering trading up to the 15# to 25# range to grab a specific player that I believe slipped out of the top 10 picks and I believe can be elite.

I know you can grab elite talent out of the 1st round in a NFL draft, but if I am a GM and I trust my scouting team, I am going after specific guys I think are going to be elite. I am not giving away a #1 pick for a couple of guys in the 2nd round where it is more difficult to find above average players.

I am not saying that drafting 6 good players is bad police, it is not if you have elite talent on your team and you need depth, I just believe that the Texans lack elite talent, and I believe to draft that elite talent you have to go after them and not hope they fall to you.

Having said that, if you believe that the draft is terrible, of course you don´t overpay just to draft a couple of spots earlier, but I believe that after drafting Clowney 1st, it would be quite easy to trade up a couple of spots and draft Manziel/Bortles/Teddy B depending on who is still there/who do you think is better because at least one will be available after the 15th pick IMO.

12. rezdawg

No Mallett please. Thank you.

13. askball

askball Member

Yeah just saw the tweet from Tom Curran. Apparently it'll be done soon.

14. rezdawg

Bc what if the Texans covet Mack almost as much as they like Clowney?

Why not try to trade down a few spots, get Mack, but pick up a few picks in the process?

Not saying Mack would be available, but trading down can be a very smart decision based on what could possibly be on the board at the trade down spot.

15. htown1984

htown1984 Member

is this guy legit? I really hope not crazy

16. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Apparently works for Comcast Sportsnet New England, but doesn't seem very professional on Twitter. (in before someone says it's just Twitter.)

[​IMG]

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I'm going to take a goddam nap. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23SeeYaTonite&amp;src=hash">#SeeYaTonite</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23PatriotsTalk&amp;src=hash">#PatriotsTalk</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23NFLDraft&amp;src=hash">#NFLDraft</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Upat340&amp;src=hash">#Upat340</a></p>&mdash; Tom E. Curran (@tomecurran) <a href="https://twitter.com/tomecurran/statuses/464478312257953792">May 8, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

LMAO!!

18. Houston_Rockets

If that trade happens after the picks are locked sure, makes sense because you lose nothing and you get an extra pick.

But how often do those happen in the NFL? In the NBA, lottery trades rarely happen after the picks are actually made because GMs fall automatically in love with the player they drafted.

19. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

And now Ryan Mallet is the #1 trend in America on Twitter. Hopefully it's a last resort if the qb's 'OB wants are off the board.

20. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

Look at this SWAGGASAURUS

SWAGGIN like a mofo