1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trading in the 1st Round

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Aydge, May 7, 2014.

?

Assuming fair values in all trades, what would you do?

1. Trade back from #1 for more picks

23 vote(s)
    46.0%
  2. Trade to get into the 1st round

6 vote(s)
    12.0%
  3. Trade back from #1 and up from 2nd round

9 vote(s)
    18.0%
  4. Take Clowney and hope for the best

12 vote(s)
    24.0%
  1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I'd take the trade that gives me an extra #1 in 2015. I'd use my 2015 #1 and the extra 2015 #1 to secure the quarterback of the future from Petty, Hundley, Mariotta or Winston. (I'd play this season with Fitzpatrick and Keenum and later round qb pick like Taj Boyd, McCarron or Murray)

Get the right quarterback and you're competitive for a decade. But I am way more patient than the average NFL fan,

#21 Dubious, May 8, 2014
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
  2. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

So wait til next year? Which is what everyone said about this QB class last year. Each player on your list will be picked apart and disected until every flaw comes to light

1 person likes this.
  3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Guessing that there is a 25% chance of trading back in the first round, possible but not probable.

The Texans have 11 picks in the 2014 draft (12 if they trade back in the first and get another 2nd round pick).

The Texans have four players from the 2013 draft who were injured and did not play last year: OT Brennan Williams, OLB Trevardo Williams, G David Quessenberry and slot WR Alan Bonner.

That would make 15 (or 16) rookies in camp this summer. That is a whole lotta spots on the 53 man roster. I seriously doubt OBie wants that many rookies on his roster, especially if he wants to be competitive next season.

I strongly suspect that the Texans will move up in other rounds via 2 for 1 draft pick trades.

#23 No Worries, May 8, 2014
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
  4. Dubious

yup, I like all 4 of those guys better than any of this years crop. For one, they are all big. If JFF was 6'3" 225 , he would be my #1.

5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

i want 2 first round picks, clowney + anywhere from 10-20. I would be willing to trade next year's 1st rd pick + filler for a #10-15 this year. c'mon rick, get it done!!!

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Any GM waiting to do something in next year's draft is certain not to be employed by the time that draft comes along.

7. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Everyone always thinks that "next year's class" is going to be so much better. Last season, everyone thought TB was a guaranteed top 5 player, and that JF would've been lucky to go in the 1st round. But now it's all flip-flopped.

I think next years class only has 2 guys who are going to be worth drafting high, Mariotta, and MAYBE Hundley. I'm obviously going to be in the minority, but watching Florida State for a large chunk of last year, I don't think Winston is going to be as good as everyone thinks. He had the kind of talent that AJ McCarron had around him, and seemed to be in a 2 read passing system. I think that once he goes through the draft evaluation process, his stock will fall a bit. Not 3rd-4th round fall, but late 1st early 2nd, and not the generational prospect that everyone thinks he'll be.

8. Dubious

Still, next year's big 4 are all big, that puts them 1 up on every 2014 QB but Bortles. They all have NFL arms and Mariotta can run like the wind.

I'd take the one that grades highest in read and anticipate

9. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I really don't think they know either after the first round. They just play paper, rock, scissors for selections after that.