1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lobbying for Carmelo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da_Spark, May 6, 2014.

1. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Almost any GM in this league would almost certainly go for a 3rd star if given the rare opportunity because if all else fails, you can always trade one of your 3 stars and get those "very good players" in return.

2. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

It won't work if he and James don't play defense. You can't put all that on the shoulders of Dwight alone.

3. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

You can add all of the pieces in the world, but I don't see us going anywhere without a real culture of defense and some versatility/unpredictability on offense. I don't see our current coaching staff bringing either of those to the table. Until that happens, I think we will be a monster team in the regular season and a disappointment in the playoffs.

Renewed my season tix, so I'm certainly not giving up... just how I feel right now. I certainly hope I'm wrong.

4. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Like getting a Rondo would solve Harden and the entire team's defensive issues.

James Harden will soon figure it out and eventually mature. Heck, i bet he finally starts playing solid defense next season. If this season where he was the punchline of jokes in the league on defense wasn't enough of a wake up call for him the i don't know what will.

If Melo comes here, he and James will surely make a concerted effort on D. It'll be the FO's main point of emphasis this off-season given our failures in the 1st rd against POR. On offense, good luck trying to contain a team with Howard/Harden/Anthony leading the attack. That's like going up against team USA on a nightly basis.

5. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

That's how we all feel about our coaching staff. We don't have any choice right now but to trust Morey. If they're giving McHale another year then so be it as long as they don't re-sign him to a new deal. I also believe that there's a much larger reason on why Morey's sticking with Mchale for another season and my best guess would be for recruiting purposes this off-season. For now, i'm just wishing we would hire a very good defensive coach. Like when JVG had Thibs.

6. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

It's not always easy to trade a max contract but if a star gets injured its impossible. Get two players and you reduce your risk of a career ending injury.

Don't get me wrong I love Melo esp since most guys max out their abilities sooner like Rudy Gay but he's gotten better the last couple years proving he's more than a volume shooter

7. Raven

Raven Member

Dwight's not going to get younger, better, or healthier. Love might be a better fit, but I think the Rockets must pursue the first top ten player that becomes available.

8. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

how do you figure Dwight won't get better? I think his post game should improve and he may add some more moves offensively.

9. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

He said he's been working on developing a little jumper, which would be awesome.

10. Knightrogen

Knightrogen Member

Can someone explain to me how can Rockets possibly sign Melo outright??

Can someone explain the cap for me?

11. HOUSTONROCKETS5

I hope that's true, that would extend Dwight's prime well into his mid 30's.

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

The Rockets would need to essentially give away Omer Asik to a team such as Dallas, Boston, Atlanta or other team which needs a center and has the cap space or TPE available.

The Rockets would need to bribe another team in a salary dump to take on Jeremy Lin, ala the GSW/Utah deal which occurred last off season. This would presumably cost probably a 1st round pick and perhaps Dmo. Worst case is that it costs Jones. Possibly landing spots would be Philly and Utah..

With those two transactions, the cap raising, and some simple creative timing with existing vet min guys on the roster, the Rockets could easily get to 17 or 18 million. If they squeezed every option they reaslistically could, they could get 20+ million, although the complete gutting of the roster would leave questions of whether or not it was worth it.

13. Knightrogen

Knightrogen Member

So in this case, are you implying that Rockets would pick up Chandler's option and let him walk into UFA?

14. larsv8

I see no scenario in which Parsons is paid before the Rockets use the Asik/Lin cap room to sign long term pieces....whether that is this off season after a salary dump....or next off season when they expire.

So basically no, I believe there is no chance Parsons hits RFA status.

15. okrockets

okrockets Member

On Melo:

I don't believe there is any way NY trades us Carmelo in a sign and trade, even if he threatens to leave to CHI.

People keep suggesting that it will work like this: IF Melo decides he wants to come to Houston, Melo threatens NY that he will sign with CHI as a free agent if they don't sign-and-trade him to Houston.

It doesn't really work that way, even though people keep suggesting it.

When a player commits to a team, that's who he commits to. He's not committing to a team but hoping another team can get him.

To get Melo, we will have to send away Asik and Lin in separate deals to OTHER TEAMS. Then Sign Melo as a Free Agent. Won't be max room but that available salary slot is what he will have to take if he wants to come here. Lots of IFS.

NY will not give us Melo for Asik/Lin/whatever else. Why would they? Because he is bluffing that he'll sign with Chicago if they don't do it? Overcomplicated and unrealistic scenario.

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I could see some sort of deal to Philly, but would they absorb Jeremy into their capspace, or would they be finding a new home for Thaddeus Young? Taking on Lin's one-year suckwad contract to get out of the last two years of TYoung. Which, I know, goes against the "get superstar with capspace" idea.

Maybe a deep-pockets team like Brooklyn or the Knicks could absorb those balloon payments plus draft picks and/or Tjones, depending on the yield (Deron Williams? Carmelo?)

As you say, Asik has value, and if you sweeten the pot, depending on who/what comes back, he wouldn't be seen as much of a grotesque albatross.

With Jeremy's contract, you gotta hang a lot of cute little pine tree air fresheners all over it.

17. Raven

Raven Member

You are probably correct, but the deal I envision is Lin/Asik/Parsons/2014 first round pick, which "might" get their attention, though they would probably demand more. Is that too much or too little?

18. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Because the man has game period, he can flat out score the basketball. He come to Houston, and now the opposing team has to be worried about to prolific wing scores and a beast in the paint. He also brings rebounds, especially on the offensive end and he can play some defense when he wants to.

19. larsv8

Too much.

Moving Parsons for Melo simply isn't worth it.

20. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

The Rockets will be going after a defensive minded assistant coach this offseason. I am also pretty sure defense, defense and more defense will be their main focus when workouts begins.