1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lobbying for Carmelo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da_Spark, May 6, 2014.

1. langal

langal Contributing Member

Other teams are not bound to accept a trade just because ESPN's trade calculator says the salaries match.

Would you take Lin/Asik and junk for Melo? That's 30 million in actual salary. Don't you think other teams could offer something better than that?

2. LeoUnot

LeoUnot Member

As much as I like the idea of having Melo or Kevin Love, I feel as if our priority should be on getting a better point guard and power forward. Maybe Asik/1st round pick for Millsap. Then hopefully we can pick up Lowry or even Mario Chalmers would be a great upgrade as to what we have now.

3. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Melo just had his best season statistically. If he decided that Houston is the place for him and we can sign him, then I'll be all for it.

Melo would definitely fit our system as well as add more part to our game. I feel like Melo is one of those players who has to take shots for his team to win consistently. If Melo isn't shooting, the opponent can focus more on his teammates. As a by product there are going to be games where he shoots a horrible percentage on a lot of shots. But what he was on a team where shots were more distributed? I think he would excel and reach new efficiency.

Look at how he played in the Olympics and in the All-Star games. Rarely did he ever take those Melo-esque isolation pull up long 2. When he is on the floor with player that deserve as much respect as he does, he turns into a very efficient player. He is probably the best elite player that can shoot set up jumpers in the game with a quality post up and mid range game.

With Melo, our team basically has elite talent everywhere on offense.
    James Harden: King of Perimeter, Transition and Getting to the Line
    Dwight Howard: Superman in the Paint and Offensive Rebounds
    Carmelo Anthony: Ruler of Set 3s, Mid-Range and Post
    We literally become a nightmare for any team on offense. If you focus on one of the players, the other two will feast.

Defensively, Melo can play some defense. Like Harden, it as matter of wanting to do so and Melo has matured a lot where as Harden still needs to grow, in understanding e value of playing defense.

4. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

Carmelo is a free agent.

5. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Yes, but unless I'm mistaken (entirely likely) -- our best shot at him would be a S&T to clear sufficient cap space.

6. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Melo is 30 years old. At this point of his career, he'll be after rings and he knows he's got the big three in Miami to dethrone. One of the best possible destinations to form his own formidable big three is Houston. Not sure being THE man is still that high on his priority list after 10 seasons in the league.

7. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

If you guys are hell bent on getting a point guard then why not go after Eric Bledsoe? They already have Mr. MIP Gogi and they would love to have an Asik manning the 5. Bledsoe is also a RFA this summer i believe. I call him the LeBron James of point guards.

8. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Eric Bledsoe has no knees. He's an amazing talent but any long term contract is a HUGE risk.

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The Suns really have no reason not to match any and every offer on the table. If the Rockets want the cap space to offer Bledsoe they have to first trade Lin & Asik. If you trade both guys first, and then have that offer matched, you lost both guys for nothing but cap space.

Also, the timing of RFA could make this a challenge as well. More than likely there will be a few different guys they will look to go after. Having to wait those few long days in an important time when they could be going after a more sure bet could be crucial.

10. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

A S&T would be preferable, but isn't necessary. The Rockets will be one of a few choices Melo will be deciding between. If he chooses the Rockets, then the Knicks will take what they can get or be left with nothing.

I'm guessing the Knicks and Rockets will agree to some sort of three team deal that allows the Rockets to keep their exceptions and the Knicks to salvage some value in picks or Lin/Asik while the third team absorbs Lin and/or Asik.

11. nykb17

nykb17 Member

Yup Yup

12. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

Not many point guards would want to go here in houston after seeing harden play as"the man" last 2 years. the only point guards we can get are probably vets who are chasing for a ring ala derek fisher types...

13. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

this is not nba 2k14 lol... one thing we have learned with the miami experiment is that 3 stars in the starting line up means 1 has to take a back seat... I don't think melo or harden will do that as I know howard will not...

14. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Do you understand the fascination with Melo in the league, or from our very own GM? There is a reason why we have tried to trade for him previously. He is one of the best players in absketball.

15. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

I'm down for any change, we won the fewest playoff games out of anyone in the west, and that is with us having our preferred matchup. This season has been a total failure. Harden has had only 2 good playoffs games as a Rocket. He is a complete embarrassment on defense. Our coaching staff is completely clueless. Parsons/Asik/Lin making dumb end of game mistakes costing us wins. I'm just totally disappointed with everything right about now.

16. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Have you watched the playoffs in the East over the past 3 seasons? Bosh gets killed by guys like Carlos Boozer and David West, and you want him checking the PFs in our conference?

17. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

+1

Maybe I won't feel like this in a few weeks, but I don't have a whole lot of hope for the immediate future of this team right now. So many issues, so many holes. So many.

18. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

I mean seriously though, the only scenario where Melo doesn't end up in Houston is if he already has some sort of a deal with the Heatles where they would all take something like $14m/yr each. Sure, he likes Chicago, but Rose's two consecutive major injuries is the deal breaker.

Daryl Morey, Kevin McHale, Dwight Howard, James Harden, Chandler Parsons, and the rest of Houston Rockets will be the favorites to land Carmelo Anthony whether you like it or not. Makes too much sense for him at this point of his career.

19. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I love Melo but I think the Rockets would be better off with 2 very good players like Lowry and Milsap. Shooting the bankroll on a max contract for 4 years on one player seems like gambling and not building a team.

20. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Been a diehard fan since the early 90's, never took a year off, and after almost 2 decades of mediocrity, sure as hell not giving up now. Not ever! We may not be true contenders YET but we are damn near close with our current pieces and flexibility going forward.