1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why the Rockets should think twice about firing McHale (here's a hint: Kevin Love)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zergling, May 3, 2014.

1. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

At rim defense, but that's not really post defense and a lot of that has to do with that he doesn't have a decent rim protector (Dieng did ok late in the season though), if you put him ina role where his job is to slide under for the board whilst the center goes for the block (sound like someone?), you put him in a position to succeed rather than fail.

Love btw gives up 0.72 ppp in the post, which really is very good post defense. As another, in the last 3 years, Love and Aldridge have played 6 times, Aldridge;s best game was 26, Love has averaged 27.5 at higher TS% whilst outrebounding him all 6 times, Love had more assists 5 times and the same once, and Aldridge had more fouls on all 6 occasions whilst fouling out twice, it's really a very lopsided encounter but there's no accounting for teammates.

One thing that frustrates me about this team is we seem to spend so much effort trying to make players into things they're not, rather than getting and refining players for what they are like the Spurs do.

#61 Aleron, May 3, 2014
    Last edited: May 3, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

Agreed for the most part, with the exception of 100 plus Clutchfan posters in the other thread.

3. finsraider

finsraider Member

Well considering what management has done over the last few years and how erratic our fans are, I'd count that as an indication we are on the right course.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

5. Hmm

Hmm Member

They're just following the line of thinking of their stats god Morey... Get as many assets as possible to then trade them down the line for better assets... rinse and repeat until you've accumulated max talent from top to bottom to win... If it doesn't work, try again... ignore building from within and ignore the influence of coaching on the outcome of playoff games...

Golden state's taking the Clips to seven games with three guys they drafted and that were groomed by management, a star PG that came into the league with questions, didn't start out so marvelously and now he's an all-star... And how the hell did Daymond Green get 14-14-4 in the playoffs...?? Who cares... It's never happened before, it'll never happen again... Oh, wait.. The Spurs... Who cares, it's my way or the highway until I'm fired... coaching nor environment/culture had nothing to do with any of it.. Assets, assets, assets, stats, stats, stats, dammit...!

6. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

Good thread. This gives us another view. I'm on the firing bandwagon but if his role is recruiter and just face and we have competent assistants then that should be fine...
    But I don't see how that will really work. It's usually Mchale that seems to make the decisions or lack there of

7. finsraider

finsraider Member

It will work. Admittedly, nothing but faith tells me this.

McHale is still new to this, and losing Sampson appears to have been a bigger blow than any of us guessed. Morey has yet to hire a "bad coach" yet...I'd give him the benefit of the doubt on McHale.

8. Zergling

Zergling Member

Good stats, and it makes me want Love even more. I thought we'd be significantly upgrading the PF spot offensively but still taking the same hits defensively. This does not seem to be the case given your Love vs Aldridge stats. Wow, Love would be an amazing get.

9. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Love's stats are impressive, but until I actually see him playing winning basketball on a winning team, it will always seem like he's an "empty stats" guy similar to Kevin Martin.

Hope I'm wrong if we get him.

10. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Three years is more than enough time, IMO.

11. finsraider

finsraider Member

Just difference of opinion then. Two playoff series, and the 1st season with Dwight and without any sort of bench.

12. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

puts up stats. can't lead a team out of the lottery. not exactly known for his defense. not sold on him.

13. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

for all our talk on defense, why do we keep on getting offense-only guys, and then hand the defense to a clueless coach

even with sampson, we were not good defenders. wrong players on the team. not playing our better defensive players

we sure do love scoring over defending, despite what they say during those interviews

14. Hmm

Hmm Member

Moreyball...

15. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

So to summarize....let's use Mchale just until we can get our 3rd star. Great plan.

16. archinkent

archinkent Member

What a terrible thread. Worst excuse I have seen to not fire a head coach.

17. makio9

makio9 Member

Imagine Kevin Love, Dwight and Asik taking up all front court minutes. Mind boggling.

18. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

I think Rockets want to keep McHale so he can recruit Melo, Kevin Love, etc. I think that's Rockets plan.

19. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I mentioned this in the other thread, but I'll repeat it here. How is McHale supposed to recruit Kevin Love who isn't a free agent until next July? Wouldn't that mean McHale would have to be brought back as head coach not only this season, but the season after as well? The Rockets would have to offer him an extension so he'd be under contract come July 1, 2015 and eligible to participate in the recruiting process.

This is just my opinion(although I'm certain the sentiment is shared by many on here and in the Rockets fanbase), but the thought of Kevin McHale being the head coach here for another 2 seasons or more just because he might be able to lure Kevin Love who for all we know could wind up preferring the limelight(and winning tradition) of the Lakers or could get traded to God knows where at the deadline by the T'Wolves is ludicrous.

You hire a coach to lead your team. Not to potentially lure a free agent a year from now who you're a longshot to get regardless.

20. HoustonLiftoff

You wouldn't need him after this year since our best chance to get Love is a trade at the deadline. The key is that we need to be a team that Love will sign an extension with. Multiple teams will try and trade for Love but he will only resign for a handful of teams. Hopefully were one of those teams and we have the best trade package.