1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

can we really afford to get rid of a Asik??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by haiti1804, May 3, 2014.

1. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Who would you get to replace him? I can't think of any at this point, so I would keep him.

2. MONON

MONON Member

Agreed 100%. However I wonder what Asik's price will be on his new contract. Will we be able to afford making an offer he'll accept or matching another team's offer. If not, then we need to trade him before his contract ends.

3. jk103

jk103 Member

The question is, what are we getting in return? No one is going to give up a good player in exchange for the privilege of paying 15m for an 8m player. If he or Lin gets traded, it's not going to be an upgrade in talent.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The concept of Parson's as a #3 of a big three
    is smashed to hell

Rocket River

5. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I don't think people think Parsons is a third superstar. He's not a max contract kind of player. I do think he is a very good player, and I think the Rockets want to keep him after they acquire one more superstar player.

I think some people question whether the rockets truly need another superstar, but I don't hear many people say that Parsons can be that third superstar.

As for Asik. Yes, we will need to find a replacement for him. He will be gone after next season or sooner. I wish DMo could gain 30 pounds of muscle and be our backup big man, but I don't think that will happen.

6. kastuul

kastuul Member

The Rockets put Lin and Asik on the bench the whole season.

There is no way to repair the relationship even they are starters next season.

7. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I don't even know if I want him as the #4 guy. Not for the kind of money he's gonna be demanding. He was exposed badly in this series. His 3-point shot is streaky. He's a terrible finisher at the rim. His defense has regressed horribly since his rookie season(the jury's still out though on how much McHale is responsible). And he takes a lot of shots for someone who doesn't hit a high percentage. Also, and I know this might be nitpicking, but I don't like the arrogance he's shown this postseason. You wanna talk crap in the press? Do it AFTER you win at least one playoff series.

The thing about Parsons is he's a great player to have....at his current bargain basement deal. I don't know how great he'd be for the team at 10 mil per season.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Kind of where I am . . .. cause if he gonna demand HIGH MONEY
    I am not sure he worth it.

Rocket River

9. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

No way you can afford to get rid of Parsons, he's very valuable to this offense. The way he attack the basket with determination and make it look easy. I think the Rockets can't afford to get rid of Asik either because he is ACTUALLY a perfect FIT on this team. I mean who the hell out there that you want to back up Howard? I am not talking about another Center, not PF!! I know Houston is still looking for a PF that can defend and rebound and shoot....but if they can get that PF for Asik, why not do a trade for that. As for trading Lin, i think Lin prove in the last couple games that he's pretty valuable to this team. So i don't know what the Rockets will do at this point. If they can trade Asik for a good PF, then keep Lin.

1 person likes this.
  10. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I can think of quite a few players.

Asik is drastically overrated here.

There were people saying we didn't need Dwight because we had Omer. Laughable.

11. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Go look at the list if centers in the nba. There are quite a few guys that can give you a couple of back up minutes behind Dwight.

What team in the playoffs has two big centers that can only score right around the basket? Hell, Omer is spoon fed tons of easy baskets and he still misses a bunch and fumbles the ball.

Who is robin Lopez's back up? Thomas Robinson? Who's backing up deandre Jordan? Duncan and splitter?

Get rid of Omer and get a really good pf or SF. There are specific players that fit that mold.

12. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

If the guy doesn't pout during the season, keep him. Rox would have been swept in 4 with out him. If Rox had a better coach, Asik might have been replaceable.

13. Da34Box

Da34Box Member

Examples?

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Absolutely not.

Just start twin towers all year

15. treeman

treeman Member

Asik is not staying after his contract anyways. We can keep him another year and then get a little cap room and hope we can use it well, or we can shop him next season and see what we can fetch. He'll be an expiring and he will have tremendous value to someone, and we should be able to get a good haul for him.

Assuming Lin is gone too those two may be the key to landing us the next big piece. We shouldn't waste that just tog get one more season with the same roster.

16. mesta

mesta Member

Xxxtrueloyaltxxx has a good point. offense sometimes is the best defense. last game aldride' offense stallled in the 4 qt after he was forced to guard dwight.
    to OP, melo can play 4, aldride might beable to shoot over melo but he would be exhausted from chasing melo around. the drawback is rockets wouldn't be able to afford quality bench.
    milsap's price tag is perfect but it is unlikely that rockets can trade asik for him. first millsap is underpaid all star who lead his team to a probable first round victory. second coach budenhozer really love spacing.
    if monty williams value his job, he will force pelicans owner to trade ryan anderson for asik

17. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

We can definitely afford to get rid of Asik. He is going to cost us 15 million dollars next year. With all of that money freed up I am sure we can find a center to back up Howard. I think this team is lacking a few things. We absolutely need a PF, T-Jones is good but I think he is better off coming off the bench, we need a real PG who does not dribble into double teams and who consistently shows up, we need to strengthen our bench (a lock-down defender and some players who can actually play would be nice), and we might even need a new coach. Hopefully we can draft a guy like Mitch McGary from UM in the second round and in the first someone like Cleanthony Early from Wichita State falls to us. This off-season is going to be really interesting.

18. DXtreme

DXtreme Member

Real questions is: Do you want a Title?

19. Pukimonster

Pukimonster Member

Parsons, Asik, Lin all haven't hit their ceiling yet. They're young, a little raw, and not coached or used right.

But if you're in win now mode, you need deal all of 3 of them this offseason for a 3rd superstar. Otherwise no ring until after 2015 FA

20. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

**** Parsons, let him walk and keep Asik.