1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terrence Jones can not be a starter on a championship caliber team.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mdoggnic, May 3, 2014.

1. dram1

dram1 Member

That was the end of his comment...we all stopped reading right there...LOL!!!

2. Swag

Swag Member

hes pretty much a rookie guys. relax he can only improve

3. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

Exactly. The dude barely played last season and emerged as a much better player and started for us the whole year. (Even though TT should have been starting). He is still young and improving. It's not his fault that he is not yet able to guard 1 on 1 arguablly one of the most gifted PFs in the league right now. The coaching staff should have either helped him with double teams earlier, or if they wanted to guard LA one and one, started Asik earlier.

I expect TJones to be an even better player next year. Sure we could use an upgrade at his position, but we can also say that at PG, SF and our bench as well....not to mention some regular defense at our SG position.

4. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

Just rewatched the first 2 minutes 40 seconds of the fourth quarter. Jones: 1. Switched onto Batum on a pick and pop and then went under a screen allowing batum to make an easy 3 pointer. There was plenty of room for Jones to chase batum over the screen and jones had help at the rim(howard) if batum goes to the rim. 2. Jones then comes down and misses a 10 foot open jumper. I have no problem with this play. 3. Thomas Robinson got very easy position on Jones to get an offensive rebound and then made an even easier layup over jones. 4. Jones then comes down and gets the ball with 10 seconds on the shot clock and uses up all 10 seconds. Shot clock violation. 5. And finally Jones loses Robinson on a back cut for an easy dunk. Dont even get me started on his defense on the last play of the game.

Jones single handedly led to 7 blazers points and 1 turnover for the rockets in less than 3 minutes. He needs to have a very productive offseason or we are going to need another pf for next season.

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don't think he was capable before the series. I think he is capable going forward because this series must have taught him a lot. Hopefully he spends the summer working on his defensive positioning, his lower body strength and comes back a better player. For someone who is essentially a rookie, I'm not too disappointed. I'm more disappointed with the organization for not acquiring someone better early in the season. But now that he's been through the grind and played with these guys, I think we can stick with him.

1 person likes this.
  6. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

TJones should've guarded the inbounds with his back facing Batum. This way he could've seen Lillard getting open and ran toward him.

7. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

Well stated. I think he should be on a short leash for next season though. If he continues to make the same mistakes he will need to be replaced.

8. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

Considering McHale has Asik and D-Mo on the bench I'd say he made the mistake of playing Jones on Aldridge for two whole games.

9. RocketsFan0

RocketsFan0 Member

here comes all the conspiracy theories.

10. Edward77547

Edward77547 Member

DMO watched the worst player in this series get owned by Aldridge, Lopez, and ****ING TROB. I'd be pissed if I was DMO...

11. DXtreme

DXtreme Member

I've been saying the same all season long with that soft butterfinger dude, he is just a big guy , got no skills no power , just big and soft. Dwight got to be so pissed some softie big dude backing him up.

12. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

T-Jones played great this year. He was found money all year. It's unrealistic to expect him to play like an all-star power forward in essentially in his first year.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is 22.

DD

14. ttdestroyer

ttdestroyer Member

Always thought the Rockets should have kept Robinson.

TJ isn't a starter on a playoff team. His D is not that great, he isn't able to dominate boards, his real strength at the moment is being able to put in points. He's a 1-dimensional player. Great for regular season but not the type that can handle the playoffs yet.

15. davidghall

davidghall Member

Check again. TJones was NOT guarding the inbounder.

16. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

...and superstar Dwight Howard will be what, 29? The window should be the next 3-4 years. No time to waste waiting for someone that looks like he is in an episode of Lost.

17. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

If howard and the 3 others were championship capable,the rockets wouldn't be at home in the 1st round. For someone who claims to have played d-1 college ball, you sure have a lot of questionable takes. I guess chalmers is a starter on a championship contender? What about battier,mo williams, and a host of others. Only a homer looked at this roster this season and thought they could win a title. Just like no one in their right mind thought the 89,90,91,or 92 rockets could win a title despite having one of the 7 or 8 best players in the league surrounded by good role players.

This teams lack of situational basketball hurt them like it did all season. When you're 2 best players,howard and harden are turnover prone,this happens. When another guy who handles the ball a lot,lin, is also turnover prone, you lose games you should win. The process is more important than the result in terms of winning a title. The rockets won games with a lot of those bad habit. They gave up 51 to corey brewer and sent james anderson to the hall of fame. Eventually, in 7 games, its gonna catch up and it did. The 2 last plays sums up the rockets season. Howard going off in the 4th,yet harden drbbles the clock down,takes a bad shot, and parson picks it out the scrum and rox up by 2. Next play, harden hugging his man, no one opened the gate. Lilliard, the only guy hitting 3s tonight get basically a handoff for the game winner.

18. basketballholic

I don't get our point. Yes, Chalmers is a starter on a team that won a championship. He's a classic 3&D player. He's shot 39.5% on the 3-ball and basically 50% on 2-balls over the last 3 seasons. Mario is a shooter. And a very underrated defender as well.

What I said very clearly about this team in many, many, many posts was we could not win a championship as long as Jones was playing major rotation minutes because Jones cannot shoot a basketball and he's not a difference maker on the defensive end. I very clearly stated that the only way we could win a championship was to minimize Jones' minutes and maximize Asik's minutes along with our other small shooters minutes. I said it over and over and over again. Too many times to count.

And just as I suspected, McHale for some inexplicable reason could not bring himself to minimize Jones minutes. He simply had to keep running Jones out there when it was obvious that Jones was hurting our offense and defense.

19. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

nobody wants tjones for what morey is asking for him. he will be back.

20. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Asik is a backup. I need the twin tower expert to tell me why once asik was inserted as the LA stopper,mchale doubled and al of a sudden portland 3 pt game came to life. I also need a count of the missed layups at the rim by asik. While weakre at it ,tell me about the moving pick that fouled him out and cost the rockets 3 pts.