1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Kevin McHale lose his job after the first round loss?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htwnbandit, May 3, 2014.

?

Should Kevin McHale lose his job after the first round loss?

1. YES

410 vote(s)
    91.5%
  2. NO

38 vote(s)
    8.5%
  1. Andrew Wiggins

I feel like coaches have vey little to do with winning....unless we are talking about poppovich. The refs matter more than the coaches.

2. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I hope that gets taken into consideration. It's been nearly a year since they signed Dwight. Nearly two years since they traded for Harden. The novelty's worn off, Rockets front office. You want fans at the games? You better start putting a winning product on the floor. And I'm talking postseason wins. It's not enough anymore to win 45-55 games and lose in the first round(or not even make the playoffs).

3. YaosDirtyStache

You must have just started watching basketball.

If coaches didnt matter, then coaches wouldnt get fired.

4. keldraco

keldraco Member

2 years in a row 1st round lost?

5. SacTown

SacTown Member

I voted no. He was one of the main reasons Dwight came here. You can't kick him out after this. But, why did the Rockets have a guy guarding the inbounder on that last play? :confused:

6. Hmm

Hmm Member

What are you a relative or former Celtic fan...?

Why would you want Kevin McHale anywhere near this team after this series loss...?

7. reliableman

reliableman Member

Mario Elie needs to fill Kelvin Sampson's shoes if we aren't going to replace McHale.

8. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

It's a team option. It makes no sense to bring him back without an extension. And they're definitely not giving him an extension. Especially with how unimpressive he's been.

9. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

I voted No. Why? Dwight came here for McHale, he has shown some improvements within this series. Morey needs to help McHale get a top class assistant.

10. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

noooooooo
    we wanna secure another easy first round pass next year

says Portland guys.

11. mario_v

mario_v Member

This. Pretty much how I feel about him. He needs to go.

12. Hmm

Hmm Member

You keep telling yourself that, Andrew... Embrace those stats like your first born...

Often times in any human endeavor... what you see is what you get... and sports are dictated by human actions, human behavior and human mentality... so....

13. dxdx

dxdx Member

There's no excuse to give this round.

Last season we had inexperience, players not gelling, new schemes to justify the 1st round loss.

This season, those problems should have been solved, and with a new superstar in town, another 1st round loss is just inexcusable.

14. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

If he's not gone...I may have just watched my last rockets game...just sick of elementary basketball mistakes...sick of this bull****

15. LandryMegaBeast

we have an option on his contract we don't even need to fire him. I love the guy as a person and i think he's a great person to handle superstar's egos, but he is atrocious at drawing up plays and is not a great coach. great player yes. but not a good coach. it's sad to see him go but we better not pick up that option just cuz the players like him. they're gunna like winning a lot better

16. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Who the hell is actually saying Dwight came here FOR McHale..?? Really??

17. Darmonx

Darmonx Contributing Member

You have Howard and you have Harden and you are out 6 games in the first round??? Never would have happened to a Phil Jackson type of coach. Les Alexander.. do not make the same mistake John Mclain did with the Texans. Get a real coach!

18. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I'll keep posting this until my fingers can't type anymore. The last 30 years, these are the coaches of the championship teams:

1984, 1986 Celtics - K.C. Jones
    1985, 1987-88 Lakers - Pat Riley
    1989-90 Pistons - Chuck Daly
    1991-93, 1996-98 Bulls - Phil Jackson
    1994-95 Rockets - Rudy T
    1999, 2003, 2005, 2007 Spurs- Gregg Popovich
    2000-02, 2009-10 Lakers - Phil Jackson
    2004 Pistons - Larry Brown
    2006 Heat - Pat Riley
    2008 Celtics - Doc Rivers
    2011 Mavericks - Rick Carlisle
    2012-13 Heat - Eric Spoelstra

Look at that list and I defy anyone to tell me that head coaches don't matter in this league. With the exception of maybe Rudy T and Spoelstra(who I'd rank as excellent coaches, but not great), most of those are freaking hall of famers we're talking about here. Phil and Pop could be the best NBA coaches of all-time not named Red Auerbach with Riley right behind them. And the three of them alone have won 19 of the last 30 titles.

If the Rockets think McHale can actually coach them to a title, they're out of their minds.

1 person likes this.
  19. Hmm

Hmm Member

So, let's see.... first coaching attempt, though not a full season, we were eliminated from the playoffs...

Second attempt... killed by the Thunder...

Third... a close game every game against an inferior team (talent wise from top to bottom)... where the outcome is 4-1 if not for outside intervention from pep-talkers like Mario Elie and Hakeem Olajuwon... to say nothing of Dwight invoking Linsanity (you know, reaching a player, like a coach does) for game 5...

Unfortunately for McHale, but fortunately for this team in the long term... those things can't bail you out forever... they only temporary mask the problem..

Now, it's been exposed for all to see... He's gone... He deserves to be gone...

20. houtown

houtown Member

Kevin McHale is the Mike Singletary of the Rockets. McHale coached good this game, but yea, i saw this going downhill from the hire after the fire of Adelman. Hopefully it all comes together for the Rockets whether McHale is coaching them or not. Damn.