1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vecsey: Say it again: Jeff to Cavs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Free Agent, May 30, 2003.

1. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

http://www.nypost.com/sports/35871.htm

SAY IT AGAIN: JEFF TO CAVS

Peter Vecsey
    NY Post

May 30, 2003 --
    HOOP DU JOUR

SAN ANTONIO - Just when it appeared free agent Larry Brown, having commandeered the coaching carousel upon resigning from the 76ers, had the sway to get off at whatever NBA pit stop he pleased, Cavalier chatter reconfirms a previous report in this space that Jeff Van Gundy will sign momentarily with Cleveland.

While Van Gundy has been toying with the Rockets and 76ers (or was it the other way around?), his representative has been negotiating with the Cavs, who had targeted him weeks ago as their No. 1 choice, just ahead of Paul Silas.

At first, it looked as if the dialogue wouldn't go beyond the preliminary stage. Gordon Gund and GM Jim Paxson were put off by suggestions that the former Knick fatalist wanted an annual salary of $7 million and veto power/control regarding personnel decisions. Compromise and reason have prevailed on both sides of the table from that point on, which is expected to yield a five-year agreement in the vicinity of $25 million.

In fact, things progressed so swiftly and satisfactorily that the Cavs never felt the urge to romance Brown. Not that he would've had time to fit another interview into his hectic schedule, anyway.

A few days ago, Rocket owner Les Alexander met with Brown in New York, The next day, Brown was in Los Angeles, presumably to get together with Clipper compadre Donald Sterling, and yesterday he was back east for a sit-down with another team in his quest to become the highest-paid coach ($8M) of all time.

Which team was it? Could've be anyone - the Raptors, the Hornets, the Wizards. I even hear Brown's considering the Hawks just in case he wants to step away from the NBA for a while.

There are so many openings it's kind of cruel Larry can only take (and leave) one at a time. I'm told he got so confused the other day he even called the Sixers about their vacancy.

I'm officially off the fence concerning who'll be appointed Hornets coach. I say it'll be Tim Floyd, because those in the know say it'll be Tim Floyd; the announcement's about a week to 10 days away. That leaves Mike Fratello sitting alongside TNT partner Marv Albert for another season sipping tepid cups of grand cappuccino.

The Raptors were the only other team to give Fratello a call, and there was no follow-up; evidently either Sonic assistant Dwayne Casey or Piston assistant Kevin O'Neill will fill that void.

Any day now, look for Abe Pollin to reach a settlement with Doug Collins on his two remaining years; nobody associated with Michael Jordan's entourage will survive the Wiz owner's purge.

2. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

Some more interesting stuff I left out:

By all accounts, Mike Dunleavy had a great interview with the Rockets. ... Avery Johnson, who has one year left ($5.445M) on his Maverick contact, will also audition for the job. Look for him to switch allegiance to Houston during the offseason regardless of whether he's ready to be a head coach; Avery simply will strap on the training wheels for a few years. ...

3. RocDreamer

RocDreamer Contributing Member

I like Dunleavy's style. He likes to run and he was able to get all of the ego's to work together. But I still would rather have Brown. JVG is good in Cleveland.

4. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

although I desperately hope that this is one Vescey gets right,
    I wish someone would compile a list of all the times Vescey has been impressively, obtusely, magnificently dead wrong on his scoops.

5. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

I would love to get Avery Johnson as a coach. Not as the head coach, but I think he is going to be a great NBA coach one day. Maybe he can replace Larry Brown if we get him.

6. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

so.....

.....can we be happy if Brown DOES go back to LA, and Jeff DOES go to the Cavs?

7. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

No.

8. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I could be happy with Brown in LA, Van Gundy in Cleveland, and Dunleavy in Houston.

in fact, I can be happy in any situation that involves Van Gundy not as the coach of the Rockets.

9. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I must second that emotion. The only person I would be completely dissapointed with would be Van Gundy. He is as overrated as they come. But Brown, Dunleavy, Silas .... it's all good.

I must throw a rider into this amendment. Brown is the only coach I would be happy with if the team itself isn't changed.

10. Sane

Sane Member

What if we hire Van Gundy, and capture 5th or th seed?

THEN would you be dissapointed?

I'll be honest with you. Larry is my first choice, Dunleavy my second. But I wouldn't be dissapointed with Van Gundy. We can be the best defensive team in the league with a line-up of:

Yao
    Griffin
    Posey
    Mobley
    Francis

11. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Vescey may be full of s*** most of the time, but you have to hand it to him, he is pretty damn funny.

Big scoop on Avery! McBeth, if you want a future coach that will bring the love, this is the guy! And I'd trade Moochie plus fodder to the Mavs for his expiring contract! :)

12. Sane

Sane Member

The more you think about it, the more Van Gundy to the Cavs makes sense.

A trio of Illgauskas, Lebron and Wagner will always get their points. Defense and stability from van Gundy will make them the turnaround of the decade. They'll probably going to make the playoffs in the East. Just take a look:

Illgauskas
    Boozer
    Miles
    James
    Wagner

The Wagner-James duo is brilliant. James takes over the PG duties from the SG spot, and they don't lose any size. Boozer had a great season and will probably be better, and he's a great compliment to Illgauskas. If Miles really works out this summer, I mean REALLY, then a breakout season from him along with the hiring of Van Gundy will surely make this the turnaround team of the past few decades. They'll go from 19 wins to 40 easily.

13. qrui

qrui Member

hahaha...:D :D :D

14. SLA

SLA Member

Well this is horrible.

Top 2 candidates out there were Larry Brown and Jeff Van Gundy. And we can't get either one....

So all we can get is Mike Dunleavy or Paul Silas........

That's sad.

:(

They have their strengths and weaknesses as coaches...

Well......I don't think we can make the playoffs next year.

15. Toast

Toast Member

Well, he has a ring and longevity in the league, but I'm not sure if that's enough credibility to get guys like Steve Francis to listen to him.

16. munco

munco Member

I want Brown 1st then VG then Dunleavy. But 8 mill a year is a bit steep. Very steep.

17. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

He might not listen to him, but he would hear him (a lot :) ). Have you ever heard an interview with Avery? He is probably the only person in basketball that can outtalk (in quantity) Calvin Murphy. And outsmile him, too.

18. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Without major changes in attitude, method and Players , I want to see Coach Larry Brown, He is the one teacher that can redirect the Guards and make NBA Players out of Griffin and Yao Ming, he is the one that wiil get results out of MoT or find us a replacement.He is the one that will insist upon us playing team basketball,instead of selfishball.He might even be the reason Elton Brand comes here, instead of going to another Team.
    PS. I hope they are not using up all their brain power on the Coach, and that they will have something left to consider the Roster! Time doesnt stop for no man. :p

19. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Ditto

20. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I am the biggest anti Van Gumby guy on the BBS but if the Rockets hire him then I will become one of the biggest Van Gundy fans around...at least until he screws things up and quits. ;) Lets just hope it does not come to that.