1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Dawson slows pace of Rockets' search

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lancet, May 29, 2003.

1. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

Dawson slows pace of Rockets' search
    Contacting Silas remains a possibility
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle
    The Rockets' pursuit of a head coach brought no additional interviews Thursday, and none are scheduled, general manager Carroll Dawson said. But that could change soon.

Sources have indicated this week that the Rockets could look into talking to former Hornets coach Paul Silas. There has not been any contact between the Rockets and Silas, who is one of the top candidates for the Cavaliers job and had a second interview with Cleveland officials Thursday.

Dawson would not discuss his interest in talking with any potential candidate other than to describe earlier meetings with Larry Brown, Mike Dunleavy and Jeff Van Gundy as "very good, but preliminary."

"We've only been doing this for a few days," said Dawson, adding that he spent much of Thursday concentrating on the more customary work that piled up while he was traveling. "It doesn't happen that fast. But we're happy with how it's gone so far. The idea is to find the right guy."

Dawson said no offers have been made and no negotiations have begun with any candidate and that he and owner Les Alexander have no timetable in mind for reaching a decision. Dawson said he has not attempted to put the candidates he has met in order of preference even in his own mind.

Brown said Wednesday he has many things to consider before he can begin more specific discussions with any one team. Although Brown would not discuss other options, sources said he is seriously considering returning to Los Angeles to coach the Clippers.

The other coaches in the Rockets' sights, however, also have options to consider. Van Gundy, who talked with 76ers president Billy King but declined to have a more formal interview, is a candidate for the Cavaliers position. Like Silas, Van Gundy has met twice with Cavaliers officials.

Van Gundy, reached in Dallas on Wednesday, said it would not be appropriate to talk about any of the discussions he has had with the Rockets and Cavaliers.

Dunleavy is expected to become the leading candidate for the position in Atlanta after David McDavid is approved as Hawks owner.

"The main thing is to get the right guy," Dawson said. "It's not to get it done quickly. But there is so much talent out there. I've never seen anything like it."

2. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

They need to speed the pace up if you ask me.

3. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

I agree on speeding it up. We should see if Nelly's interested now that they are eliminated, and wrap this baby up.

4. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

We all know the Rockets are waiting on Larry Brown to make a decision,,,as is Van Gundy and Mike Dunleavy.

5. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

I think that's true.....it's down to the Rockets and Clippers for Brown. The carousel will start to wind down after Brown makes his move.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If this is true, I think we know who our next coach will be.

I hope they make a decision soon... I've trippin' out thinking about who his assistants might be. The arrangement/power structure between Brown, CD and Les. (I'm assuming CD will stay... no clue on Rudy's role)

Player/draft moves... man, everything! Larry Brown, for good or ill (and I believe it'll be the former), will make a huge impact on this team and in a hurry. I can't wait.

7. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

This delay was assumed as necessary as discussed in this thread. The Rockets would need to allay suspicion of tampering if they signed Larry Brown too quickly.

Think about it - has he interviewed anywhere else? Patience. Let the press sell Larry Brown to the Rockets, then there's no allegations of tampering to delay things much further.

8. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Your only kidding! Surely you are!!

9. NJRockFan

I really don't think we could be linked for tampering. Nothing concrete will stick.

10. almostReady

almostReady Member

That might be a key factor in landing a top-notch coach.

The following are some not-so-positive things (IMO) about being a Rox coach:

1. Power structure. CD is a key member of the old "regime" and instrumental in many Rox moves (some are very bad and needs to be fixed). If CD stays, what new guy he want to work with? and will the new coach be able to pull off some major changes?

2. Expection for the Rox is too high. Missing playoff by one game, "best talents ever assembled", Yao Ming the next Dynasty, Steve "the great", etc, etc, it's like the new coach has so little cushion that first-round exit next year would almost be regarded as a failure. But in reality, Yao will be in his 2nd year, and Steve is N O T that good (as a point guard, or as a shooting guard, in short, as a BBall player).

3. Deal with the Franchise's ego and lack of BBall smart, along with how to develop Cat's role in the team, will be very difficult.

IMHO, the Rox coach positon is not as attractive as many people here think, especially with many other job opening out there.

With that being said, I do hope Brown or JVG come here, but I will not bet on it.

11. NJRockFan

It is the most attractive. Which team has the best talent?

If I were a coach, I'd look at the current roster and try to estimate the time to building a contender.

Cleveland is 5-6 yrs away.
    Clippers not in my lifetime
    Atlanta is not going to win any time soon.
    Toronto needs to be rebuilt
    Sixers will collapse
    New Orleans competitive but missing more pieces than the rockets.

Don't fool yourself.... the Rockets are the most attractive. The coaching carousel will start with our choice.

12. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

exactly

13. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

What if Rox make an preemptive offer to Brown? If it is sure that Brown is the best fit, then just make him a take-it-or-leave-it offer. This offer has to be good enough that the only reason he will turn it down is that he simply just want to live in LA. If that is the case, there is no point of waiting for him, Rox should move on to go after JVG. What do your guys think?

14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Its amazing that Silas hasn't been contacted.How can he not be a leading candidate even with Brown in the mix.

15. almostReady

almostReady Member

Bringing more win's to a lousy team, OR guiding Rox to elite level with the current squard, in 2 or 3 years (as most fans demanded): two choices. Tough.

History tells us that Brown likes to take a rock-bottom team and turn it around.

Don't forget Coaching is a job. Guys have to think about how difficult it is, how much power they have and how much appreciation they will receive.

#15 almostReady, May 30, 2003
    Last edited: May 30, 2003
  16. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I'm getting more and more pessimistic about Brown coming here.

I'm just hearing too much about how many people think he'll go to LA.

if he does go to LA, it will be very obvious to me that winning a championship is a goal he's giving up on.

it's understandable at his age to make comfort-of-living a preference, and there are plenty of people who'd pick the city of Los Angeles over the city of Houston.

but if he in any way makes this decision based on basketball, it's a complete no-brainer.

I think it would be sad to see a coach of his stature walk away from any shot at a championship just to collect a paycheck for a few more years, living in the hills.

17. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

Your only kidding! Surely you are!!

I want Larry Brown, I just meant that if we were interested in any way in Don Nelson, or even Nelly Jr. Now that the Mavs are eliminated, we can interview them, and have a decision on our coach soon.

18. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I have a feeling that JVG will go to Cleveland and Brown back to La and that would leave us with either Silas or Dunleavy . Its no question who i want.

19. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

This is still a lottery team with Larry Brown...

20. Sane

Sane Member

1) If not for his wife and kids, Larry Brown would be the coach of the Houston Rockets already.

2) As much as I've heard he's going to LA, I've heard even MORE that this will be his last job. Do you really think he'll try to hit the jackpot one last time with a Center-less, disloyal, and CHEAP Clippers organization? Houston has championships in its blood. If this is truly his last job, which is what we've been told, then he will pick the Rockets.

We will grab 5th or 6th seed, and have the 3rd or 4th seed wishing they had tanked a few games. We may not cause an upset, but we will show that we're one final step from being a top notch team.

Francis and Yao will become ELITE players as a result of playing for Larry Brown.

I can't wait. I'm very very excited about the upcoming season. I know that, if Larry takes this job, he will lead us back to the championship.