1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Calvin Murphy telling it like it is

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ballplayer, Apr 28, 2014.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Also yes, people are saying why not get Daniels the ball...yeah...

Well why was he sitting on the bench for so long?

Mchale is a stupid coach, whatever is working he goes away from it. Daniels is our hottest shooter but McHale doesn't adjust, sticks to cold shooters and just ignores whatever is going on in the game. Then he will blame everyone but himself after the game and do so pretty harshly.

2. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

Does Howard every pass out of the low post? I saw multiple times where he could have passed out to a wide open Harden but never did... Those two seriously need to start working on their 2 man game in the off season.

3. chandlerbang21

thats the biggest problem with Mchales free flow system. No screens for players like daniels to get open

4. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I hear all that,but 2 simple plays and rockets are up 3-1 headed home. The defensive rebound at end of regulation game 1 and lin turning the ball of with a 2 pt lead late. Rockegts do 2 things and we don't have this thread.

5. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Thanks for getting Calvin's history on here. I just deleted my idea of him on the Rockets bench.

Our past is never far behind, is it ?

#65 jscmedia, Apr 28, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  6. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

He is 100% correct. Just silly and stupid mistakes from the coaching unit and players of this team has lead us to being down 3-1. I know Lin is the center of the anger, along with McHale, and as much as they deserve it, this team, as a whole, has not been good and making mistakes as a unit.

It feels like the only game the Rockets should have lost was Game 2 and even then, we were in it until the last few possessions. We should easily be up 3-1, looking to end this series on Wednesday. But all these mistakes have added up and we have yet to grow discipline or the maturity to learn and correct mistakes.

We have way too much talent on our team to be in this position. But just look at last game as an indicator of how poorly this team has been executing in this whole series:

-Parsons was hot to start the game. He was hitting his threes, getting to the basket and creating havoc. But when the 3rd quarter started, he hit a three and was rarely heard from again until he got a dunk in the last minute of the game. What happened? I get not trying to force feed Parsons and letting him get his shots through the offense but with Harden struggling for most of the night, we should have done something to get Parsons more shots.

-The last 2 minutes of the regulation and the first 3 minutes of overtime were spent dumping the ball to Dwight in the post and hoping he would score on each possession. Of course, we want Dwight to shoot the ball and score. He is our most dangerous half court player, but not when you have to post him up all the time. Our offense should never be continuously ran through Dwight post ups, especially if no one is moving and creating passing lanes for Dwight if he gets doubled. Our offense relies on drives and kick outs, not isolation or post ups, yet we continued to post up Dwight with no movement until we were 7 point down with 2 minutes left in overtime..

-Coach puts Daniels with 8 minutes in the fourth in to create some space for Howard and the drives, yet nothing is run to promote ball movement and finding Troy, who was 3-4 from three at that point. All we ran were postups with no movement and 1-4 Harden isolations with no movement. Sometimes I wish the Rockets could emulate the Spurs' offense. They run the same things as we do, but they move! They are consistently cutting to the basket, moving to open posts on the floor or going around picks and screens for open shots. Rarely you see players standing around, watching Parker, Duncan or Manu dribble the ball without moving.

This team is so frustrating. We have the talent to be the best team in the league, yet we stop ourselves from achieving that with stupid mistakes, selfish isolations, and a general laziness and unwillingness to learn from mistakes and make the right decisions on the court. We got by on talent this season; not on making the right plays down the stretch or playing together as a team. Every team in the playoffs has enough talent to beat each other in a 7 games series. Look at the Hawks and Pacers' series. The Hawks should be home now, eliminated, yet they are tied in the series because they have just enough talent and make all the right plays to win games.

7. edvio

edvio Member

What happen to Parsons in the 3rd quarter? The part where rockets did not continue to feed Parson's hot hand in the second half seems very true. Dude was on fire in first half and then nothing the rest of the game? Was it just Parsons or was it that the Rox just ignored him?

8. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Calvin told no lies, especially about Dwight bailing Harden out. Been doing it all series.

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Calvin is a great basketball mind. I wish he was our head coach, if he didn't have controversies surrounding him.

10. Purvis2Short

Purvis2Short Member

I agree with this 100%. Parson and Howard should have had more touches. Harden should be a 6th man along with Daniels and let Casspi start against Matthews. Lin should be benched.

11. Purvis2Short

Purvis2Short Member

Hero ball by Harden...slow ass b!tch...bouncing side to side and bricking. He and Lin are the reasons we are sucking...Lin is to blame because he has no decision making skills what so ever.

12. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

He isn't a molester he just has like 100 kids

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

We ISO, they run play. We ISO, they seek mismatches. We ISO, they smile.

LMA was hot in the 3Q. Howard guarded him in the 4th. He missed a couple. They could have continue to force it through LMA but instead, they ran their offense. While, we ALREADY know that Harden hasn't been effective against Matthew aggressive fouling defense and have been turning the ball over in heavy traffic, we continue to go ISO route. We are a dumb team. (as bad as Lin was in game 4 shooting, if YOU are going to ISO Harden, why not put Lin in and run 1-2 PnR like you did game 3 to get Harden on a weaker defender... I just don't get it).

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Saying "that play cost us the game" or "that bad call cost us the game" is just too simplistic minded. Winning or losing is the culmination of a lot of things, almost never about one play or one call.

15. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Oh no doubt Jay everybody shares a certain amount of blame. But being the Superstar unfortunately, will get most of the blame. Yes Harden did some great things but his horrible plays stood out the most.

IMO McHale deserves most of the blame for going ISO in the 4th quarter. Every game we went ISO and Portland was well prepared. I don't understand why there was no ball movement. I like the fact that they were feeding Howard but Howard has to understand when the double come, pass the ball back out.

16. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

McHale needs to go period, dude is horrible.

He also went away from Parsons in the 1st game and this past game. Dude was sizzling hot.

17. Homey the Clown

Money

18. redglare92

redglare92 Member

Thanks for putting this up. I'm listening to all the other post game interviews as well. I want to believe they can come back. They have to come out strong and really get a win here on Wed.

19. Hmm

Hmm Member

You're absolutely correct... we don't have this thread...

What we do end up with however, is continued complacency with this team's horrid combination of roster and management.... for the sake of short-term victories at the expense at long-term success...

Do you realize what you're saying...?

20. Ynnis888

Ynnis888 Member

Do you think the "FIT" rationale is somewhat to blame for Harden's lack of D?

They could have developed his D from the get go.

People were so excited about the numbers being clear but it looks like it's biting the team in the ass.