1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale post-game interview for Game 4: Reasons for the Loss

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steady, Apr 28, 2014.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Unless they consistently don't follow the game plan and are not benched.

Which as we all know would not happen with Pop.....now with McHale...well.....

DD

2. Mr Chuck Norris

I would say McHale lost the team.....but it seems like he never really had it.

3. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Blame the players, not the coach? What is the coach roles? If the players do not follow your instruction, then you should either get rid of the players or remove yourself from the coach position. This would be very logic for me.

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the most remarkable thing is that 3 consecutive seasons in a row now we've suffered McCollapse endings to each season with 3 starkly different player rosters…..and yet it's always the players' fault!

1 person likes this.
  5. conquistador#11

if he takes up for the loss, he's a chump like kubiak.
    if he doesn't take up for the loss, he is a coward. COach can't win.

But and a huge but, harden stripper type of but, Coach should have not chosen faves all the way to beginning of last season. It's more apparent now that these dorks who disguise themselves as Rockets players treat coach like the substitute teacher.

6. sun12

sun12 Member

McHale and Lin will be the scapegoat for sure.

But why did Morey trade away Brooks?

Given that Rox's perimeter defense is poor, why didn't Morey trade for a capable defensive SF?

Through Morey's tenure, one consistent theme is that Morey always wanted to pay fair or underpay market value for any deals. Rox has been ending up with good players with shortcomings (undersized, weak defender etc). But given limited supply of talented players, sometimes you might have to overpay slightly to get what you want.

7. SRR21

SRR21 Member

I would like to see DMO and Hamilton get some minutes for defensive purpose also because guys are really looking winded with all the extended minutes.

8. mario_v

mario_v Member

I feel like this series was a wake up call. I never believed Mchale could coach this team to a championship. I really believe we will be a playoff contender once Mchale is let go. It sort of reminds me of Shaq and Kobe lakers before phil Jackson was the coach.

We just need a coach that will put harden in check.

9. Hmm

Hmm Member

You and Rockets2k can't be serious.... His comparison is based on the assumption that Pop and McHale are equal... He completely overlooks the reason behind the Spurs' mistakes and the Rockets'.... also the patterns behind the mistakes...

The Spurs' mistakes have no pattern... McHale's Rockets mistakes have a season long pattern... That those perceptive enough could see would lead to problems in the long term... particularly in the playoffs when talent alone (the only thing responsible for our winning record) isn't sufficient to mask deficiencies with personnel, starting with the head coach... On the contrary, the playoffs, with high stakes pressure and tighter game play every single game are designed to expose them...

Harden isn't going to magically "get it"... Didn't everyone see those awful defensive attempts in the 4th...? When his shot isn't falling... Harden continues to look for foul first, shot second... People will notice an improvement from one game to the next... but ignore his lack of consistent and substantial improvement from one season to another, on both ends of the court... His in-game attitude, reflects his off-court attitude... Why work so hard on my game when I can get away with blaming someone else (passing off the ball with less than 4secs remaining on the shot clock, shouting at teammates for their failures, or calling the team out for it's bad defense, while shrugging his own, unless the media makes a big deal out of it of course), or have the refs bail me out (when he goes hero ball, looking to bait for a foul over making a play)... You can tell this by just looking at his game, his body language combined with his quotes to the media which evidently come from the heart...

These are all bad habits of the wrong mentality.... which a good coach can help address... Everyone points out to how young is... There you go, that's your first clue that a coach can have an impact... He's not a set in his ways vet yet, but he soon will be, the longer we excuse the piss poor environment for a player of Harden's mentality...

McHale's, "get an open shot" strategy in clutch situatinos (as quoted by Harden after game 2), and "they know what to do, I don't know why they didn't do it", "the ball got sticky", stuttering, stammering hands-off cluelessness isn't going to help... And it IS going to hurt... This does not need to be incessantly excused by the fans, it needs to be addressed.. These losses are DEMANDING our attention to this problem, not convincing us to ignore it...

1 person likes this.
  10. tracymingreedy

tracymingreedy Contributing Member

Then why McHale did not call a timeout himself after Lin got the rebound. Normal sense is for coach to call time immediately and secure the position first. I believe the team has no discipline and no idea what to do when game became close at the end. For this, it is the coach staff at fault.

11. chandlerbang21

the turnovers, brain farts, lack of defense, failed defensive rebounding etc etc

ON THE PLAYERS

12. steady

steady Member

So, given the way the Rockets played in Game 4. Do you blame the coaches, the players, the players’ inexperience and youth, something else (maybe a certain player)?

After thinking about the game, I feel more hopeful. Because it is clear the Rockets have a game plan, and when it is executed, it works. The players just have to keep their composure.

The Blazers are not beating the Rockets in this series, the Rockets are beating the Rockets. And that is something they can do something about.

---

1st Q – Rockets dominated.

The Rockets spread the floor, setting screens and passing well. As a Portland fan site said, “The Blazers haven't dealt with screen plays well all season and they didn't tonight either.” Picks freed the Rockets for drives or quick dishes to open three-point shooters. Plenty of those shots fell. When they didn't, Portland's scrambling defense left them out of position for rebounds. Rockets had a bonanza of offensive boards, converting many second chance points off of them.

On offense, Portland tried to attack our TT lineup with speed. They also went at James Harden’s defense early and often, with Matthews or Batum.

“The first period ended up being a contest between Houston's offensive rebounding, three-point shooting, and screen-pass halfcourt offense versus Portland's tempo push and wing scoring in the halfcourt. Portland's rebounding issue directly cut into their ability to press their quickness advantage. The Rockets got the better of the deal, leading 29-23 after one.”

In other words, the Rockets had a strategy and it worked.

2nd Q – Rockets continued to dominate in rebounds.

Portland's bench players were handily outscored by the Rockets bench in a lineup featuring Bev-Lin with Howard, Daniels and Jones. Houston took the ball at Damian Lillard, Joel Freeland,and Thomas Robinson whenever possible.

The Rockets built their lead to 61-51 by halftime.

I started to feel comfortable about the Rockets chances.

3rd Q - The quarter started well, the Rockets were hitting their jumpers, and it seemed like they were poised to smash the Blazers.

The momentum shifting sequence Then mid-way through, the Rockets had a sequence of three straight botched possessions, which seemed to noticeably change momentum. Chandler and James threw away the ball in consecutive easy fast break opportunities, then Harden was called for a charge on the next possession

As the Rockets struggled to regain composure, they seemed to fall into a more predictable slasher-or-Howard type play. As the quarter progressed the Rockets shots also started missing, and they were relying more and more on free throws. The Blazers bench, by contrast upped their energy and effectiveness.

But even with LMA heating up and the Blazers bench playing better, the Blazers managed to cut only 2 points off of the Rockets' lead as the third quarter came to a close. Then, 2 seconds before the buzzer, Lillard hit a ridiculous three-pointer from the sideline.

4th Quarter - Young Rockets: can you handle pressure?

Thus, the Rockets after having comfortable leads in the first three quarters, started the fourth, with the Blazers nipping at their heels -- 84-79.

The bench (Daniels and Lin) sat with 6:41 to go, and a 5 point Rockets lead.

McHale then tried 3 different lineups until the end of regulation.

The First one featured TJones, with the combination of Bev/Harden/Parsons/Howard. Then after a minute, Asik came in for TJones. Then at the 2.50 mark, Daniels was brought in to replace Asik.

Not surprising given that Parsons had been unable to score any points since mid way through the 3rd Q, and Bev’s scoring was quiet too, the Asik with starters group was not able to generate any offense – and the Rockets had a 3-11 deficit for the 3 ½ minutes that they played.

Once Daniels came in for Asik, the Rockets were able to pick it up considerably (9-4) but only enough to tie it up.

Leaving behind their efficient and effective play of the first half, the Rockets started to resort to iso ball. As a Portland fan site said, “Those lovely screens from the first period? Gone. The brilliant spacing that had Portland running after three-pointers they couldn't begin to stop? Gone. Passing? Gone. Instead, what do you get?

Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble Dribble

Contested jump shot!”

The Rockets hit more of those jump shots than they had in prior games. But their open looks disappeared, assists and inside conversions dropped significantly.

The offense became more predictable with James, Jeremy or even sometimes Dwight taking the ball slowly and methodically into defenders. Rockets FG percentage went down. Portland's blocked shots rose. And then the Blazers started winning the battle of the boards. They badly outrebounded Houston in the final period. This despite the fact that Lopez had 4 or 5 fouls for much of the period.

1 person likes this.
  13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Oh come on now...
    it's at least worth 2 squares.

14. ComeBack

ComeBack Member

If we're knocked out in the 1st round I think its best McHale and Lin parts way with the Rockets. Need a new coach for Harden to up his game in the Playoffs.

15. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

I think we need a great coach, or a good coach with a great leader on the team. And, I don't think at this point, either Dwight or Harden are great leaders. But, I also don't think Portland has what it takes to close out a series at this moment.. So, if the Rockets can stop sabotaging themselves, they still have a shot here.

16. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

This team seems to have an awful lot of trouble converting relatively open layups, and there doesn't seem to be any of them that are exempt to it. It's like, if they just hit their ****ing layups (like the ones the spurs always make) they'd have been a 60 win team.

17. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

From what I saw in this video is that this team doesn't have much respect towards Mchale, or Mchale simply just cant get his players to stick with the plan. Even Lin, appeared to be a humble and obedient kid would ignore what he was instructed to do. I remmeber last year vs Spurs without Harden in the regular season Lin waived off a screen that was instructed by Mchale that caused us to lose in OT.

18. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

So who is y'all coach that will lead us to the promise land?

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well to be honest if a coach says "Players aren't sticking to the plan" then it's hard to blame the coach, that's like blaming the GM when the owner keeps overriding him with decisions. It's different if a coach is just clueless (like Mike Brown), or the coach doesn't do anything and watches the team implode (like RA), but if the coach is drawing up plays and telling you what the game plan is and the players aren't listening to him then it's the players' fault for not following the game plan. As a coach you can only do so much, it's up to the players on the court if they decide to stick to the plan or freelance.

Don't get me wrong I think the horrible offense in game 1 and 2 losses are all on Mchale and his staff, but in this third game you can't really blame Mchale when Lin made the boneheaded decision of not calling a time out and then getting stripped, esp. after he just made the same mistake the previous game.

20. andyacecandy

andyacecandy Member