1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden's FG% chart comparing playoffs to regular season, Lillard, Aldridge

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tuk88, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

[UPDATED 4/28/14]

I'm using only FG% here because that's Harden's game - shooting.

What this shows me is that Harden's opponents are stepping up their game once the playoffs arrive and they better understand his game, but he's not, which is why his FG% keeps going down every year once the playoffs begin. Or it's because his teammates aren't contributing enough, as he says.

It also shows me that he's consistently underperforming in every playoff game, and by the time he starts to get warmed up or actually motivated to up his game out of sheer survival, well, you're already down 1-2 games. Or it's because his teammates aren't contributing enough, as he says.

[​IMG]

I threw in Lillard and Aldridge to counter the silly idea that because it's the playoffs, star players FG% will go down because they'll be defended that much greater. Yeah, that's assuming the star players don't kick it up a level, which Lillard and Aldridge clearly do. Or as Harden would say, they're shots just happen to be falling in those games.

[​IMG]

I love you James, but seriously, IMO IF you want to win a championship you're going to have to kick it up a level. Oh, and not keep blaming your teammates, as overcoming the denial that you're mentally preparing for games like a champion is the first step to first-round exit recovery: Denial > Anger > Acceptance > Re-Engagement > Championship.

#1 Tuk88, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  2. dmoneybangbang

Harden needs to pick his spots a little better and needs a little luck.

3. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

so much goes into that stat - but ya - he could improve his fg% - so what, this team is growing

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

its explained pretty easily. All those times he would drive and get a call, are turned into missed shots now.

5. JBar

JBar Rookie

You need some context for the first chart. There's the issue of sample size. In his best two years (2011, 2012) he played the most games (17, 20); in the remaining three years he played 6, 6, and 3 (so far). In other words he played more playoff games in each of the two years he had the better percentages than in the other three years put together.

Look, I've been very critical of Harden's performance in this series so far, but it's not fair to expand these criticisms to "he always sucks in the playoffs." Not yet at least.

6. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

And the opposite is true for Lillard and Aldridge.

7. Tuk88

That's exactly my point - he's a slow starter in the playoffs, meaning either it's total coincidence, or he isn't as prepared as everyone else is (i.e. partying all weekend long, if true) when everyone else is. And, the fact that he's getting progressively worse the last four years straight isn't the trend you'd want to see.

I'm not bashing on Harden, I'm providing facts so people realize there are other things at play here than just 'the ball wasn't going in today', and most importantly how much better of a player he could be if he took his off-court time more seriously - IMHO.

The worst part is, even the most prepared, motivated, mentally ready player is going to have a bad shooting game, and that can come anytime, it's just a lot less likely if you're prepared, motivated and mentally ready. Better to have that kind of game when you're up 3-1 or 2-0 than down 1-3 or 0-2, and 3-1 or 2-0 is a lot more likely if you're prepared, motivated and mentally ready.

#7 Tuk88, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  8. JBar

JBar Rookie

I'm curious: Did he start badly in 2011 and 2012? Does anyone know?

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

How do you know what he's doing off the court?

10. syntax error

syntax error Contributing Member

Basically harden is not a first option type of player. His skill set is elite when he is getting calls because his efficiency is predicated on free throws. Each call effectively wipes out a missed shot and because he shoots ft at an 80%+ clip his ts% and efg% rise commensurately.

His problem is that in the post season the opposing defences have sufficient time and incentives to key on certain players. This means that they attack ur weaknesses and in hardens case it means collapsing the defense in the paint to limit his penetration and ability to draw fouls. His defender is also playing more of a positional defense and limiting gambles for steal and blocks to limit hardens ft draw rate.

Hardens game is simply not mature enough or varied enough to compensate for this.

This same thing is now happening to Durant although Durant has a much greater ability to ovetcome.

11. TTNN

TTNN Member

sorry, can't help it, James Harden's shot chart.

[​IMG]

12. strifed169

strifed169 Member

Harden stans don't really care if the team wins or loses, as long as their man has the greenlight, theyre content

13. Tuk88

Not blaming Harden for the loss, but I updated the stats, and of the four games, both Aldridge and Lillard have shot over their regular season FG% three times, while Harden has yet to do it in one game. Two more telling stats: This is Lillard's first playoff game, and the first for Aldridge in a few years. This also tells me two things: That Harden isn't stepping his game up the way Lillard and Aldridge are, and that Houston's offense is too Harden-mensional to the point it's Matthews is conditioned to defending Harden's iso moves, which is 90% of their offense when it's not a Howard iso (and that's not his strength either).

14. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Harden needs to be paired in the backcourt with a really good dishing PG and his game will be elevated big time. The ball sticks in his hands way to long and you have to give Portland credit in having Mathews post up Harden on the defensive.

15. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

This. That's also why it would be better to use eFG here. Harden relies so much on getting to the line, and when he doesn't, he turns into nothing more than a volume shooter. Also, when he expects to get the call, it's usually not going to be a quality shot, so those are almost guaranteed to be missed shots. His entire game comes down to getting to the line.

16. carib

carib Member

Part of the problem perhaps may stem from the GM insisting on threes and layups and very few mid range shots. In game 4 Harden attempted 11 3 pointers, when he should attacked the rim more or got closer to the basket and take more mid range (higher percentage shots). The GM's strategy can work over the stretch of a regular season but in the playoffs where more shots are contested it maybe hurting the Rockets.

17. Panda23

Panda23 Member

needs to put the ball in the basket

18. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

I've been posting this in other threads, but the reason for all of this is the coaching. Not just Mchale, but the rest of his staff. What the hell are they doing for game planning? Like seriously? Listen to the announcers the past 4 games, they question what the team is doing sometimes. Thats on coaching to say something to the players, to correct issues all year....but its just looking worse when the pressure is ramped up in this series. We're only alive because of Troy Daniels 3 on a scramble play NOBODY planned for.

19. Tuk88

Updated. Harden needs to figure out how to get his head in the game for the entire game. No partying until the playoffs are over, please. Not one single game shooting above his regular season average, while Lillard has done so every game but one, with Beverley on him and in his first playoffs. Harden, are you mentally preparing to be a champion? We can't wait for you to take three quarters, much less five games, even much less two years to learn how.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#19 Tuk88, Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited: May 1, 2014
  20. Tuk88

Here's Harden's first 6 playoff games in his last year at OKC, very similar pattern to the last two with Houston. IMO he just isn't preparing for the start of the playoffs, until there's a sense of urgency, and by then it's too late. That is unfortunately a sign of a 24-year old that's not mature beyond his years. Given that I'm already sadly concerned, this Harden quote today doesn't even sound like a sense of urgency to me, "For us, it’s just about going out there, competing and have fun."

[​IMG]