1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is James Harden just a bad post season player?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealAllpro, Apr 27, 2014.

1. sun12

sun12 Member

It has something to do with the quality decline of the super star players in the NBA.

Before you have those superstars like Shaq, Kobe, MJ etc playing in the league, the league under Stern believed that promoting Superstar calls during playoffs will benefit the league, raising total revenue.

Now with the new commissioner and the quality decline, the NBA might find it beneficial to move to a NCAA-type of playoff competition, i.e. everybody gets the same referee treatment. Stars do not get preferential treatment. As a result, games are played more tightly, more overtimes, more entertainment for fans. That's why, the first-round playoff this year is so much entertaining, and so much better.

Now you can understand why Harden can't get calls. Basically he gets calls the same way as everybody else gets. It is tough on Harden, he has to adjust.

1 person likes this.
  2. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

How can anyone play worse every time during the peak of the season? It's just the opposition is working harder on defending him, double teaming him closer and not giving him breathing space.

Harden is impossible to guard 1on1 but it's not the same when it's 2on1 or even 3on1.

3. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

Above posters saying Harden is dependent on fouls to produce are correct.

ISO Harden actually results in decent offensive production and has been doing so in the playoffs. The interesting thing is that he produces better off the ball (cut, screen, hand-off, etc.) and is a below average option as the ball-handler in the PnR.

From my earlier thread http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=8884428#post8884428:

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Harden is a terrible defender, terrible at turning the ball over, and does not get his teammates involved. He is an ISO player that needs the refs to be effective. Safe to say he has been overrated as hell ever since he got to Houston.

5. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Like others, I feel that Harden's game relies too much on getting calls. This can be especially problematic in late game situations when refs typically avoid 50-50 calls so as to avoid a call being the deciding factor.

His ball handling leaves much to be desired and at times he can be careless with it (Lin/Daniels really bailed him out last game).

He's also very erratic in his game play and throws errant passes regularly.

That said, he's phenomenal on fast breaks and when covered by one player can get to the basket and drive directly into the guy at will. Need McHale to adjust ball handling responsibilities and Harden's role to better suite his strengths imo.

6. deshen

deshen Member

I am afraid so, time will tell.

7. TheJet

TheJet Member

Yep. That's why he averages like 5-6 assists, near the top for SGs right? I won't defend his lack of defense and occasional bad decisions but these negative threads are almost as bad as those Lin ones.

8. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

scott brooks and mchale arent exactly the best coaches to get harden to refine his game either.

9. Stats

Stats Member

These stats don't tell me Harden's a bad player. In fact he seems pretty damn good. It's just he's not used effectively. Shouldn't Morey have these already?

10. dznutz

dznutz Member

postseason's a different beast. teams will dissect every move you make in the regular season. and unless you're dwhistle refs aren't going to gift you with ft's

11. TheJet

TheJet Member

If we're going to be serious about it, I really think it's coaching. Harden has seemed to regress a bit on offense AND defense since Sampson left. I had always been lukewarm about the McHale hire and I just don't trust him to lead a team that has championship possibilities.

12. awc713

awc713 Member

the only thing this thread is warranted of is the fact that harden will not likely get calls he usually gets in the regular season.

is he a little less effective? so far, yes. but the sample size is very small, considering his role is completely different now.

13. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Get a coach in here that will make him accountable, that knows how to get the best out of his players. And then we see a much better Harden. Right now McHale doesn't hold him accountable nor does he know how to get the best out him.

14. kfmfe04

kfmfe04 Member

Is 5-6 high for a PG? He as much a PG on this team as a SG.

Anyhow, I don't like these negative threads either. I just hope he can step up (like Howard has) for at least one or two games - we really need him to play well!

15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

His 6.1 per game is 0.3 less than Lebrons 6.4. Lebron is as much a PG for that team as Harden is for us.

So no it's not high for a true PG whose main objective is facilitating and not scoring, but for the role of scoring play maker his assist number is right in line with the best.

16. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

In the playoffs, teams play harder, and teams play better defense.

I would think that in many cases, a team's FG percentage in general will go down in the playoffs. By the end of the series, Harden will probably be at about 40% for the series, which isn't terrible. Look at other stars in this league, most of them have a lower FG% in the playoffs than they do in the regular season.

17. JBar

JBar Rookie

Is there any evidence to support the idea of league-mandated "superstar calls"? Or is this just a conspiracy theory? I have no stand on the question. I'm just asking.

18. dantian

dantian Member

McHale is worst coach for Harden, that's why.

19. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

look at what carlise did with monte ellis.

look at what brooks and mchale did with harden.

coaching matters folks.

20. strifed169

strifed169 Member

[​IMG]