1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBA Gossip] Donald Sterling Hates the Blacks, Including Magic

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by percicles, Apr 26, 2014.

1. jlwee

jlwee Member

Clippers players from now on should wear their jerseys with the word "say no to racist" instead of the word "clippers". That will send strong message to the entire league.

2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Maybe it is just me but why is this getting the attention that it is getting? I'm not saying it should be ignored but you'd think the guy just detonated a serious and successful terrorist attack from the amount of press it's getting. Seems a little ridiculous to me.

1 person likes this.
  3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Sterling's attitudes have long been known. The league should have removed him 2 decades ago.

I feel bad for the players, etc, but they knew who they were working for.

4. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Makes sense now why Chris Paul wanted to play for a black coach....In comes Doc out goes Viney Del Negro.... maybe he was taking a shot at the owner at the same time.....

5. torocan

torocan Member

1) He's not your average joe, he OWNS an NBA team.
    2) The NBA has a large demographic of minority employees and minority fans. It also has a long affiliation with high profile minority "stars".
    3) He has a history of racism.
    4) We're in the middle of the NBA Play offs, raising the awareness of the NBA around the world.
    5) We're in an age of social media, where comments accelerate through public awareness far faster than in the past and allow instant reactions and conversations on the topic.
    6) His team is one of the contenders for the NBA Championship and one of the highest profile teams in the NBA.
    7) His team is located in one of the largest markets in the nation, that also happens to be a major media and cultural center.
    8) Race is a culturally sensitive topic in the political discourse.
    9) The viewpoint goes against the grain of the national consensus. There is very little debate over Racism being a bad thing, ie, there isn't really 2 substantively sides to the debate where one side is saying "Racism is bad" and the other saying "Racism is great!", thus highlighting the perceived extreme nature of the comments and his position on the cultural spectrum.

Add all that up and it's not shocking at all.

6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Only a few countries have the nuclear capability to destroy all life on Earth. We are one of them.

7. dragician

dragician Member

Stephen A Smith has spoken. Glad to know we share the same views on this.

8. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

obama is talking about it

9. Lil Pun

Are NBA owners that important, really? Yeah, he's not your average person and is more than likely very wealthy but very wealthy people have probably made statements in the same realm and it didn't garner this much attention.

The NBA seems to be taking steps to investigate and if necessary punish the owner. It's not like they're attempting to sweep it under the rug.

All the more reason this shouldn't be surprising.

Again, the NBA isn't trying to hide this but are taking steps to possibly punish the owner.

True but unfortunately it leads to overexposing stuff that doesn't need to be overexposed. Case and point.

So if these were the Clippers of the 90's it wouldn't matter as much?

Most NBA teams are in large media markets with major cultural centers. The team is not unique.

True but it gets overplayed but a lot of that is the media's fault.

Yeah but similar comments haven't garnered this much attention in the past. Maybe it's just a slow news day but it seems to be way overblown but that's just my opinion.

As I said previously, I don't agree with the comments and I think something should be done it's just the sheer amount of attention that this is getting, especially including the man's history, that just seems absurd to me. Again, my opinion only.

10. mrm32

mrm32 Member

What does Ja Rule think about this?

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

(EDITED)
    I just want to figure out how this dude is actually going to be made to finally sell his poor damned team.

To me the Clippers finish out the playoffs the best they can (WCF still possible, I'd say), and then Doc and the players say they will not report to preseason activities as long as Sterling is still the team's primary owner.

#431 B-Bob, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Deadspin: The Extended Donald Sterling Tape

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I agree that it is overblown because I was shocked he wasn't more racist in a private phone call. The attention is from the media. Whites in the media feel the need to come down hard so they don't appear racist.

This is also much easier to do a story on than analyzing games. It gets better ratings and requires no research.

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

ding ding ding. This is exactly why the national media is slobbering all over this story. Racist statements? Oh boy! Billionaire(s) involved? Excellent!

15. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

I have no doubt she is bribing Sterling by asking for money in exchange for the full audio to not be released. Knowing the stingy, racist b*stard he is, I have a feeling all of the audio gets released over time.

16. Lil Pun

Yeah, I shouldn't be too surprised at the attention.

17. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

race card card

18. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

"When ignorant folks want to advertise their ignorance, you don't really have to do anything, you just let them talk. That's what happened here," the President said.

19. quizone

quizone Member

This could work out to rox advantage. imagine golden state advances, then shoots down memphis... the championship dream is ridiculously close. there is no excuse to not take advantage of the situation.

20. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

"Come here baby cakes, Imma **** your brains out" "No pinto beans for you baby, just Texas Barbeque"